First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sonata
Country flag
Hello!

I see lots of people here and on reddit lamenting that only the ST has LEDs, even with the 2020. I looked at the IIHS for the 2017+ hatchback and it does not even give the civic a top safety pick, probably because it rates the LED headlights as poor because they cause excessive glare and blind oncoming traffic. In light of this, why does everyone want the LEDs? Are there benefits I'm not aware of for LED over halogens that are worth this safety risk? I liked the 2018 ST HB I tried out at the dealer last weekend but seeing that on the IIHS has me worried about safety on smaller 2 lane roads.

Sponsored

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
The LEDs blind other drivers, but the light output is decent. I've tried the halogens and the light output wasn't as good in my opinion.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
i had a car i was following the other day. he slowed down and got behind me then proceeded to flash his hi beams at me for a couple miles.
so i slowed behind him and showed him what hi beams with leds were really like.
he didn't bother me anymore.

satisfaction . but i do feel for others that get blinded by them.

OP
OP

Bags

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sonata
Country flag
The LEDs blind other drivers, but the light output is decent. I've tried the halogens and the light output wasn't as good in my opinion.
Yeah blinding other people is what worries me, sounds dangerous.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Yeah blinding other people is what worries me, sounds dangerous.
I don't think it would cause anybody to hit you. If a car's headlights are blinding you, you'd probably drive away from it and not towards it.

xaviersayys

Xavier
First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think for most people who don't have a model with the LEDs, the most appealing them about them is how they look and the turn signal. I know many others, like myself, find the LED turn signal to look pretty cool and more luxurious than the incandescent one.
Sponsored