LED Lights vs Halogen. Stats? Pictures? How much better?

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
This is the first car I've ever had that has LED headlights. My other cars have had HIDs and halogens. Driving on the same roads, I'd have to say the LED lights illuminate better than the HIDs. The lighting is crisp and it's a pleasure to drive on a dark back road where it illuminates everything so well. I rarely use the high beams.
Sponsored

aaronarf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Tacoma, 16' Civic Touring
Country flag
So, what's the total cost to do the LED Conversion and what's the approximate install time/difficulty? Does it look somewhat factory and not aggravating to other drivers? I think if I can get something close to the light produced from the Touring, that would make lower models more appealing.
Bang for your buck you'd be better off retrofitting your stock halogen projectors with a HID projector.

www.theretrofitsource.com

slen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring sedan
Country flag
Having driven both at night, the LEDs are really just so much better than the stock halogen projectors. I'd love to see some numbers and tests done though.

Edit: The headlights were the main reason I went with the Touring.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I feel like the LEDs are subjectively better, regardless of what the IIHS may say. I had a '07 Fusion with projector halogens, and these LEDs light up so much more of the road, especially street signs. I do agree that with them being reflectors, they're not a terribly focused beam, but I like the wide spread that they have.

RockyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Optima SXL, 2015 Honda CRV EX, 2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2003 Lancer Evolution
I have HID lamps from Xenon Depot installed in my EX and they are incredible, practically don't need the high beams.
4300k 55w? Do you know if you have H11 or H11b bulbs?

RockyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Optima SXL, 2015 Honda CRV EX, 2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2003 Lancer Evolution

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't have any detailed test results to compare the two but subjectively the LED headlights on my Touring seem WAY brighter than the halogens on my '06 Civic. But, to be fair, the car was 10 years old so perhaps the headlights were hazy and/or the halogen technology has improved since then. It's surprising how much they light up the reflective signs on the highway from huge distances, though compared to all of the surrounding cars on the road with halogens. Plus the near perfect daylight colour balance means it renders crisp saturated colours and detail that you just can't get with the old orange halogens. I'm still amazed at how much better things look at night with these things and how it brings out the true colours of the cars around you. I measured the colour temperature of the LED headlights with my SLR and the colour temperature was an incredibly neutral 5300K with no magenta or green cast - just as good or better than professional photographic LED lighting kits (I'm a photographer/videographer).

schen72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura RL Tech, 2008 Acura RDX Tech, 2016 Acura ILX Tech A-SPEC
Not a direct comparison, but the LEDs on my '16 ILX light up the road very well. They are in projector housings. I don't feel the LEDs cast any MORE light than the HIDs in my RL or RDX but the light itself is a little more "white" so it's closer to daylight. Before I got the ILX, I had thought the HIDs were very "white" but the LEDs bring that to a new level. For the past several weeks, I've been driving a rental BMW X3 (poverty-spec with halogen reflector lights) due to an accident with my ILX and at night the lights feel so dim to me. Once you go HID/LED you can't go back!

Arkbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T with Sensing
Country flag
I put HID lights in the projector housing in my EX-T and I love the light output. Nice and level beam with minimal scattering that I can see everything far and wide.

RockyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put HID lights in the projector housing in my EX-T and I love the light output. Nice and level beam with minimal scattering that I can see everything far and wide.
did you do H11 or H11b?
55w or 35w?
what color temp?

Arkbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T with Sensing
Country flag
OK cool. You like the color of the lights? I bought the 6000k 55w and I think they have too much color.
Love it. I wanted to go for the pure white. I didn't want a hint of blue like the 6000K so that's why I went with the 5000K.