LED Lights vs Halogen. Stats? Pictures? How much better?

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
I'm sure that many have wondered this too, but how much better are the LED lights in the Touring vs the Halogen?

Is there any numbers of total light produced or any example pictures of them side by side?

I'm just trying to get a grasp on how much value to place on that when determining what model to get. Since this is my commuter car, I'd really rather have cheaper and simpler (get that sucker paid off quicker too), but I'm finding myself moving up the Model line.

Any thoughts? Did anyone do any night driving of both versions? How is the light quality of both? Is one Incredible and one Awful? Both Pretty Good?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
They're probably worse... IIHS did a comparison test with the Honda Accord between the Halogens and the LEDs and the Halogens were rated acceptable while the LEDs w/ auto high beam were rated marginal. On the assumption that the engineering principles with the lights are the same in the Civic, I'd expect the LEDs to perform worse.

OP
OP

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're probably worse... IIHS did a comparison test with the Honda Accord between the Halogens and the LEDs and the Halogens were rated acceptable while the LEDs w/ auto high beam were rated marginal. On the assumption that the engineering principles with the lights are the same in the Civic, I'd expect the LEDs to perform worse.
Wow, that's interesting.

aaronarf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Tacoma, 16' Civic Touring
Country flag
My Touring LED's are very similar in output to my custom retrofitted projector HID's on my Tacoma ($1200 HID set up). The headlights alone is what pushed me towards the touring, although the cut off lines are not as crisp with LED's(some artifacts visible on a wall) but this does not impair night time visibility.

I have not seen the output of the standard halogen lights on the 10th gens but compared to the 9th gen halogens its a 100% improvement.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Wow, that's interesting.
I would think that the LEDs are straight up brighter than the halogens and the fact that they're white/blue gives it the cool factor/expensive look. IIHS measures stuff like cutoff, glare for oncoming drivers and a bunch of other things as well. The only car to score good was Prius V with LEDs. Acura TLX with jewel eye headlights scored marginal and vehicles like the C class with full LED lighting pack even scored poor.

aaronarf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Tacoma, 16' Civic Touring
Country flag
I would think that the LEDs are straight up brighter than the halogens and the fact that they're white/blue gives it the cool factor/expensive look. IIHS measures stuff like cutoff, glare for oncoming drivers and a bunch of other things as well. The only car to score good was Prius V with LEDs. Acura TLX with jewel eye headlights scored marginal and vehicles like the C class with full LED lighting pack even scored poor.
Prius uses LED's in a projector housing. Honda is using LED's in a reflector housing. Which explains the differences in cut offs, hot spots etc.

Also common in the off road racing realm, most racers still use HID projectors for distance, LED's are better for "close" output. Read the IIHS survey and view the chart on the IIHS site. The kelvin spectrum for halogens are also better for fog lights due to the better ability to "cut thru" low visibility conditions

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/honda/accord-4-door-sedan

NonFormulaic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring coupe; 2016 Lexus RX450h
Subjectively, the LEDs in the Coupe Touring makes the difference between driving at night or waiting until daylight. It's just that good. Has nothing to do with being cool or hip, I swear.

max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex 1.5t cvt
Country flag
so based on this the civic non-touring with projection head lights would be the best way to go "if you pop leds inside" right?

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
so based on this the civic non-touring with projection head lights would be the best way to go "if you pop leds inside" right?
I'm sure putting in an HID kit is better but I'm not sure. Never a fan of modding headlights myself. I'm told LEDs have heat issues and stuff like that and I've always believed the stigma of aftermarket headlights performing worse that OEM, even if OEM is just halogens.

BobM_Jr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I have HID lamps from Xenon Depot installed in my EX and they are incredible, practically don't need the high beams.

captainchair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring CBP
Country flag
I wish we had some definitive info about this as I am heavily considering a Touring... a "probably" or basing an opinion off of a different car or gen of civic isn't going help :|

OP
OP

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, what's the total cost to do the LED Conversion and what's the approximate install time/difficulty? Does it look somewhat factory and not aggravating to other drivers? I think if I can get something close to the light produced from the Touring, that would make lower models more appealing.
Sponsored