LED headlights.

Mustacheavenger

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si, 2001 jeep wrangler
Anyone put the LED headlights from the touring civic on their si? Is it worth it? Or should I just go with something different.
Sponsored

SecretAgentDannyBeans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar Silver Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think the general consensus is they aren't worth the $1,000 Or more it cost to add.

There is an aftermarket company looking to make reproductions that should be cheaper.

ETA
I did a HID moriomoto retrofit in my 14 Tacoma. The light output was amazing but I don't think I'd attempt it again myself. They turned out fine, but not OEM quality (mostly the painting, they functioned perfect for over three years.)

I'd rather send it to someone to do, too stressful putting headlights in an oven and breaking them open for me lol.

Honda Civic 10th gen LED headlights. IMG_1148.JPG

Last edited:

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They have said that you can put LED or HID bulbs in the stock projectors with no problems. I have the Morimoto LED kit right now and it has good output. HID output will be better.

Mistborn7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I just paid 70 bucks a set and got the hikari LED's instead. 5 minute install (requires zip ties or something to hold the heatsync).

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
I think the bumper must come out to put the OEM LEDs in. That's the only con I can think of.

Some blogs said LEDs are not really legal and if you get into an accident, the other driver can sue you for blinding them. I don't know if those blogs are outdated nor do I know if that information is correct. But I'd definitely find out for sure before I put LEDs or HID bulbs in.

OP
OP

Mustacheavenger

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si, 2001 jeep wrangler
I just like the look the head lamp gives to type r and the touring models. Thanks everyone for the input. Great cars too!

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Anyone put the LED headlights from the touring civic on their si? Is it worth it? Or should I just go with something different.
Some facts...

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/honda/civic-4-door-sedan

1. Both the halogen and LED headlights on the Civic received the lowest IIHS rating of "poor".

2. The LED headlights provide slightly better illumination, but produce excessive glare. Overall illumination still falls short of optimal.

3. Aftermarket bulbs and/or assemblies can provide more illumination (or less). They can also provide less glare (or more).

4. There is no such thing as an aftermarket headlight assembly or alternate light source that is legal for on-road use.

BONUS: Ever notice motorhomes with headlight designs that look "out of place" or identical to headlights from passenger cars? It takes a lot of engineering resources and money to design headlights. Many motorhome manufacturers utilize existing headlight designs to save money and reduce liability.

Last edited:

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
BONUS: Ever notice motorhomes with headlight designs that look "out of place" or identical to headlights from passenger cars? It takes a lot of engineering resources and money to design headlights. Many motorhome manufacturers utilize existing headlight designs to save money and reduce liability.
That's not just reserved on motorhomes. The Lamborghini Diablo uses stock headlights from the Nissan 300ZX (Z32 Fairlady)

Left: Nissan Z32 Fairlady. Middle: Nissan R390. Right: Lamborghini Diablo
Honda Civic 10th gen LED headlights. 18dttipfreead

Lamborghini glued a carbon fiber strip to the top of the assembly though to block the Nissan logo

You see the strip well here below with the Lambo on the left
Honda Civic 10th gen LED headlights. tumblr_ndpj5kOBxO1taq1ojo3_1280

Legend has it that it was cheaper to buy that headlight fromnthe Lambo dealer than it was from the Nissan dealer. I've never checked that myself, but I don't want to believe it

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
TheRetrofitSource now sells a direct swap in H1 HID projector. All you have to do is open up your headlight and unbolt the existing projector and replace it with the new HID one. You'll need a HID kit also. The entire package runs about $300. There is a few threads on here regarding retrofits. I'm currently in the middle of a ridiculous retrofit, but that's because of my own stubbornness :p

grumpyguy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
TheRetrofitSource now sells a direct swap in H1 HID projector. All you have to do is open up your headlight and unbolt the existing projector and replace it with the new HID one. You'll need a HID kit also. The entire package runs about $300. There is a few threads on here regarding retrofits. I'm currently in the middle of a ridiculous retrofit, but that's because of my own stubbornness :p
I checked out their site and I'm not sure if I understood what you meant. Were you referring to the high's and low's at $150 each (for a total of $300)?

ChinStrap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Optional: Morimoto 2-Stroke LEDs inside stock low beam projector. No additional glare.

Honda Civic 10th gen LED headlights. 2qtic6u

RetrofitSource also sells what they call a ‘retro-quick’ kit for the 2016+ Civic. Comes w/ an adaptor plate so you just swap your stock low beam projectors with their H1 Mini. If I do it over again, I will use this kit.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I really wish Depo or TYC made replacement LED versions for the Civic. They just look so much more modern than the standard lights. Even if the output is only marginally better.

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Some facts...

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/honda/civic-4-door-sedan

1. Both the halogen and LED headlights on the Civic received the lowest IIHS rating of "poor".
The LED headlights were rated poor due to excessive glare. The illumination they provide is very good (too good?) as evidenced by the illumination distance graphic.

This is very evident when driving on a non-illuminated road at night that is lined with trees. You will see weird "light sprites" appear all around high up on the trees, like little streaks of light to the sides. It seems like the design of the reflectors leak light in undesired directions causing glare to oncoming traffic and the poor rating from IIHS.
Sponsored