LED Footwell Lights

lucashend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I installed an RGB LED light strip under the driver and passenger side footwells. For now, it is wired to the 12V port, which means when the car is on, they are on, and when the car is off, they are off. I think it would be nice to wire them in with the daytime running lights or something, and I would free up the 12V port. Has anyone done this, or have any insight as to how to wire into the fuse box?
Sponsored

OP
OP
lucashend

lucashend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
These are the ones I got this time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006U5SE7U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_ntk0wb6PA41RS

My last car I just got a roll of LEDs, cut them to size, then soldered and whatnot to make them work. This car I opted for a pre cut kit and it was way easier to work with. The kit listed above is highly recommended. And it is multicolored so you can match the color to the in dash touchscreen color of your choice.

Mr.Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Black
that bin underneath where the 12v is located seems perfect for aftermarket upgrades like this without having visible cables.

kered424

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/ Honda Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Whered you get that?
I bought red LEDs from ebay and wired it up to a circuit that turns on with the parking lights. These are the LEDs I used: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-1LED-T10...ash=item2359ad3a92:g:dtQAAOSwWnFWBL-~&vxp=mtr

You don't have to use these LEDs, but in my opinion these LEDs are the perfect brightness (and incredibly inexpensive). In my previous car, I had blue LED strips, and they were extremely bright at night, which was a distraction to the extent that I had to add a resistor to bring down the brightness. These, however, give a pleasant and subtle (but noticeable) glow for night driving. And in case anyone else is thinking about doing the same, I tapped into the gray wire on a harness by the interior fuse box. As far as I can tell, this gray wire supplies power to the overhead blue ambient light on the map light assembly. This harness is immediately adjacent to a yellow harness, and you want to splice into the gray wire. Sorry for the bad picture. There's not much room to work with down there.

Honda Civic 10th gen LED Footwell Lights IMG_20160131_122557

OP
OP
lucashend

lucashend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bought red LEDs from ebay and wired it up to a circuit that turns on with the parking lights. These are the LEDs I used: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-1LED-T10...ash=item2359ad3a92:g:dtQAAOSwWnFWBL-~&vxp=mtr

You don't have to use these LEDs, but in my opinion these LEDs are the perfect brightness (and incredibly inexpensive). In my previous car, I had blue LED strips, and they were extremely bright at night, which was a distraction to the extent that I had to add a resistor to bring down the brightness. These, however, give a pleasant and subtle (but noticeable) glow for night driving. And in case anyone else is thinking about doing the same, I tapped into the gray wire on a harness by the interior fuse box. As far as I can tell, this gray wire supplies power to the overhead blue ambient light on the map light assembly. This harness is immediately adjacent to a yellow harness, and you want to splice into the gray wire. Sorry for the bad picture. There's not much room to work with down there.

IMG_20160131_122557.jpg
Nice. Just as another thought, you could always put a dimmer on them so you could brighten in during the day and dim them during the night. That's what I ended up doing on my last car

kered424

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/ Honda Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice. Just as another thought, you could always put a dimmer on them so you could brighten in during the day and dim them during the night. That's what I ended up doing on my last car
I've thought about it. I had a dimmer in my previous car before I replaced it with a permanent resistor. Since I wired the LEDs with my parking lights, they never come on during the day anyway, so I don't need them to be bright.
But thanks for the suggestion :)