LED Footwell Lights

enishi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sedan ext
Country flag
Might be better to tap a fuse and added a fused connection. Especially if your light kit isn't IP rated.
True. I assume there's a fuse for that plug already but running another fuse just in case wouldn't hurt. What is the worse that can happen if I don't add an additional fuse? Someone on another thread use a door sill kit on that plug and I don't know if that kit has a fuse built in.

http://www.civicx.com/threads/my-lighted-door-sills.3206/

EDIT: thanks, I totally need to add a fuse holder or something. Diagram from door sill kit need a 2a fuse
Sponsored

Last edited:

iTzLanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I tried tapping it to a fuse but the fuses seem to be too small to even connect to it, I'm also looking to maybe try the add-a-fuse way but the wires don't seem to fit properly?.. What type of fuse should I use?

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I tried tapping it to a fuse but the fuses seem to be too small to even connect to it, I'm also looking to maybe try the add-a-fuse way but the wires don't seem to fit properly?.. What type of fuse should I use?
I used the add a fuse kind, with the micro-mini fuse blades. There is a grounding bolt up near the interior fuse box that you can add the ground to. Mini fuses will work,but I got the micro ones so everything is the same size as OE. I tapped the DRL fuse, because altogether the amperage from my footwell lights and the DRLs is pretty small.

iTzLanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I used the add a fuse kind, with the micro-mini fuse blades. There is a grounding bolt up near the interior fuse box that you can add the ground to. Mini fuses will work,but I got the micro ones so everything is the same size as OE. I tapped the DRL fuse, because altogether the amperage from my footwell lights and the DRLs is pretty small.
I'm actually looking to tap it into the dome lights or something to when the door opens and it turns off with the lights that opens when the door opens up!

enishi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sedan ext
Country flag
I'm actually looking to tap it into the dome lights or something to when the door opens and it turns off with the lights that opens when the door opens up!
Add a fuse to the hot wire and solder the ground wire to the purple smaller wire in the 3 pin of the top row of the six pin plug by the interior fuse box. Refer to my previous comments in this thread. I use a non low profile mini add a use with a 10amp fuse because that is all I have. I figure it would short any fuse so 10amp although not 2amp is good enough. I have extra leds anyways.

That will create the exact same effect as the dome without the need to run the wires down.

iTzLanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Add a fuse to the hot wire and solder the ground wire to the purple smaller wire in the 3 pin of the top row of the six pin plug by the interior fuse box. Refer to my previous comments in this thread. I use a non low profile mini add a use with a 10amp fuse because that is all I have. I figure it would short any fuse so 10amp although not 2amp is good enough. I have extra leds anyways.

That will create the exact same effect as the dome without the need to run the wires down.
Is there any other way instead of soldering? I'm not looking to solder because it might ruin my warranty and I don't really want to risk that..

enishi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sedan ext
Country flag
Is there any other way instead of soldering? I'm not looking to solder because it might ruin my warranty and I don't really want to risk that..
You could run the wire tip to the pin hole for the purple wire and hot glue it tight. Just make sure the tip doesn't touch the hot wire and the purple pin hole or there will be sparks.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't piggyback ground connections unless the wire gauge of what you are adding is tiny in comparison. Get a tap like this: http://a.co/1yM7mTO
Then, get black braided wire ("primary wire") of the same gauge (16), from an automotive or home improvement store, along with a package of weatherproof 1/4" ring terminals with crimp connectors. The weatherproof ones have a heatshrink sheave- you just run a lighters a ways under it back and forth, and it keeps the crimp from receiving all of any tension it may experience. I cut the crimp connector off of the fuse tap, and ran the ground and hot wires into one of these adapters: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015OCV5XO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It should fit most controllers for LED tape light/kits (check the diameter to be sure). While at the auto store, get yourself some mini fuses. I think I used a 10A for my kit, and 7.5A for the DRLs... but it could have been 7.5 on both. I'll try to remember to check tomorrow. I splurged for the fuses that glow when they burn out because I saved so much money buying all the lighting components individually instead of as a kit (none had all the features I wanted). They are also a pain to get in and out, and everything is so small it felt to me like I was forcing them, so I would rather not go pulling them if something is acting up and just be able to visually check the tap. Don't 'borrow' from the few spares in the fusebox locations in the car (if they even fit the tap you may use).
If you are using tape light, act like it doesn't have any adhesive, because it won't hold well forever. There are few spaces in the driver footwell a small drill won't comfortably clear, and zip ties are your friend. For the passenger side, remove the panel parallel with the floor; it really helps to get a cleaner install when you 'dry fit' and lay it all out, then do drilling indoors or in a controlled environment. I ran the bridge wire back, under, and then across the console/divider where the shifter is, but toward the very front at the base where it meets the carpet. I tied the wire to a small but stiff dowel to fish it through.

EDIT: It is 10A and 7.5A in the tap. This thread may also be helpful: http://www.civicx.com/threads/how-to-access-ground-bolt-behind-interior-fuses.3692/

Last edited:

Fanoflive

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe EXT 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here's mine....connect to the 12v.
Also connect to my phone so can change my colors and patterns.
It will also go with the music if I want.

20170223_194556.jpg

Screenshot_20170404-211314.png
Can you tell me what you used to do your LED lights? Links would work as well. I love the idea of using my phone to control the lighting. I would really appreciate it.

ch3390

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan EX Turbo
Country flag
I went the add a fuse way, however, now the touchscreen is saying I have a charging system problem. I tapped into fuse 22. I removed it but I still keep getting the charging system problem. Any help here please!

Kusoyaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Should be a map on the side box. I used fuse 20 that comes on with acc, and another one I don't remember for constant on. I have a relay that has power for its solenoid on the acc, and power to my leds on common, with the normal open connected to ground, and the normal closed connected to the switched ground wire in the little harness attached to the passenger side of the fuse box {grey}

Result is leds are always powered while car is in acc or running, and they come on when doors are opened while car is off.

Kusoyaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Here's a quick sketch. If you don't care about the door opening courtesy light setup, you don't need a relay, just tap led+ to acc12v fuse 20, and led- to ground.
I might have the colors wrong for Grey and purple on the harness, but red and the order is correct for the wires function.

Honda Civic 10th gen LED Footwell Lights IMG_20170521_211624

Kusoyaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Oh and that harness is the one the oem Footwell light uses.