Leaving Auto headlights on all the time?

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wouldn't know. I don't have a touring model. I have an EX is why I had to put LED's in myself. They use about 1/7th the power to make about 5x the light. Plus should last the life of the car....
I did the same. I do not think my particular bulbs draw as significantly less power as 1/7th the stock halogens though. I put LEDs in to have white light that matches the DRLs, and to not have to change bulbs because I leave the headlights on Auto all the time.
Sponsored

Soulfly1895

First Name
Kylee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic coupe
Country flag
You can change the settings so the headlights turn off as soon as you exit the vehicle. Once they're off, they're off until you restart the car. Let us know if you have any trouble finding the setting.

While the car is running, the alternator is constantly recharging the battery. The extra load placed on a battery by the non-LED headlamps (55W each) is only a fraction of your baseline auxiliary load. Your vent fans probably use more electricity. Lead acid batteries are designed to take a beating, headlamps constantly cycling on and off (which isn't what happens with the auto-headlight feature anyway) wouldn't even blip their radar.

Enjoy your Civic as it was meant to be enjoyed. :)
I'm having trouble figuring out how to turn the auto light setting on and have it turn off as soon as the car is off and I exit, would you be able to tell me how to do it? Thank you

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
The Auto Headlight feature, home garages, and daylight don't mix.

When you start the car in the garage the headlights switch on and then when you exit the garage the lights switch off. When you drive into the garage the lights switch on and then switch off when you exit the car.

Lots of needless headlight exercise. Maybe headlight lamps are cheap.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Did this the day we bought our '12 Si (Jan 2012) Only time they're manually turned off is when Honda does the annual state inspection (they turn the CC "main" off too), or I'm sitting in the car for a long period without getting out. (In either case I usually forget to turn them back on until driving on a dark street or I get flashed.) Auto-on is great when pulling into the garage or underground parking on a dark winter afternoon.
Nine years in and have yet to have any bulb "wear out".

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I like the auto head lights feature sometimes and have set it to 30 seconds. But I often turn it off, especially after short trips and when temperates are cold. It's frustrating when the battery dies at night, when you are in the middle auf nowhere, I had that once with a car and also one time with a motorcycle.

The battery on my last car was good even after eight years. I'm sure it wouldn't have last that long with the "coming home / leaving home feature".

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
I like the auto head lights feature sometimes and have set it to 30 seconds. But I often turn it off, especially after short trips and when temperates are cold. It's frustrating when the battery dies at night, when you are in the middle auf nowhere, I had that once with a car and also one time with a motorcycle.

The battery on my last car was good even after eight years. I'm sure it wouldn't have last that long with the "coming home / leaving home feature".
Are you referring to the lights staying on for 30 seconds after you shut the engine off and open/close the driver's door? I doubt that would drain your battery even in cold temperatures unless you were taking a TON of short trips in a row or sat in your car a long time before exiting.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@usagora
Yes I'm referring that and unfortunately I'm doing ton of short trips in a row, especially in winter.
Sponsored