Rustydusty

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
I have the civic 2020 exL hatchback. My wife swears the dashboard and doors are leather and is ready to kill me for cleaning the dash and doors with mcguires vinyl cleaner and vinyl protector. Can someone please explain to her that the only thing leather is maybe the seats and steering wheel. What is real leather and what isn’t? What do you use to clean the interiors? Thank you.
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
In my car the steering wheel and the shift knob are dressed in leather. Probably some thin strips on the seats might be cheap leather.
Everything else is plastic.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
Dashboard has no leather. But the doors have leather, the arm rest area and part of the panel.

Sharkman112

First Name
Robert Veldt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X sport+ , Honda S2000 Vortech, DelSol Daytona eh6
Country flag
Dashboard has no leather. But the doors have leather, the arm rest area and part of the panel.
Arm rests are vinyl as are the center console trim and most of non contact parts of the seats (the other parts are real cheap plastified/coated leather). Had it in my previous Civic X and didn't like it. With the new one I choose cloth and soon will have the parts I want covered in quality leather (which is cheaper that what Honda wants for the vinyl).

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Arm rests are vinyl as are the center console trim and most of non contact parts of the seats (the other parts are real cheap plastified/coated leather). Had it in my previous Civic X and didn't like it. With the new one I choose cloth and soon will have the parts I want covered in quality leather (which is cheaper that what Honda wants for the vinyl).
Is there such thing as plastified leather? Is it a cow hide that is then made to look like plastic? :p I know they often split the hide in two and then finish the surface to look like natural. But do they cover leather with plastic?
I don't find any leather on the seats except maybe a thin strip. It mostly looks like a better quality ployurethane fake leather than the cruder maybe-vinyl that's on the other side of the back. I don't see any leather on the doors.
My CRV has real leather on all the seat top surfaces (not luxury quality, but still leatherj.
I still prefer this by far than any kind of fabric. I pasionately hate fabric in car interiors.

Last edited:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Lol

there is NO LEATHER in a 20 odd thousand dollar car

you bought an economy car
Are there cars cheaper than 20 odd? I haven't noticed. I would call mine closer to 30k than 20 odd. You thought it was a luxury car? :rofl:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Lol

there is NO LEATHER in a 20 odd thousand dollar car

you bought an economy car
Hmm, the seats in my EX-L sure smell like leather. Maybe not the Italian stuff but at least kangaroo leather or something. :cool:
Sponsored