Leather already wearing out

Osiris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L, 2014 Toyota Highlander, 2011 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I feel, at 4k miles, the leather should not be showing this type of damage. What are your thoughts on this? Do you think this would be a warranty issue to bring up at my first oil change? I feel like i'll have to fight the "you had something in your back pocket" fight. I had my Solara for 10 years and I had the seats upgraded to Katzkin leather aftermarket and NEVER had an issue with the leather wearing out.

Honda Civic 10th gen Leather already wearing out FullSizeRender
Sponsored

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
It really does look like it was scraped or scratched with something vs being worn. Hopefully others with more experience with leather upholstery will give their opinion as well.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Honda "leather" was always shitty. Even Acura leather was not much better.

There really isn't much you can do. Any OEM leather will crack/fade (maybe except for Bentleys and shit haha), just clean it regularly and give it a coat of conditioner every once in a while (light coats, as the seats are perforated.)

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
Honda "leather" was always shitty. Even Acura leather was not much better.

There really isn't much you can do. Any OEM leather will crack/fade (maybe except for Bentleys and shit haha), just clean it regularly and give it a coat of conditioner every once in a while (light coats, as the seats are perforated.)
That isn't accurate, at least not universally. My wife and I each had a 2001 Honda Accord EX V6, and the leather, grey on mine, tan on hers, lasted really well, with no unusual signs of wear in the 9 years we owned them.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
That isn't accurate, at least not universally. My wife and I each had a 2001 Honda Accord EX V6, and the leather, grey on mine, tan on hers, lasted really well, with no unusual signs of wear in the 9 years we owned them.
I guess shitty is subjective, but my old 2000 Accord V6 had tears and cracks in it about 6 years after manufacturing. My 2007 Accord had the same thing too. Honda/Acura leather problems are strewn around the interwebz, but thinking about it now it could be the minority with negative experience being vocal about it.

OP, just take care of it best you can, and hope for the best! haha

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag
My 2001 accord had just started cracking in 2010. OPs picture (from the picture alone, because that's all I can see) looks more like scratching than the leather wearing out. Any leather, even the best leather, will look like this if something is actually scratching it.

I don't know that to be the case, but that's what this looks like.

andre12dbsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan / 2017 Acura MDX Navi SH-AWD
That one lower corner looks like it's wearing through. Crappy leather or not you wouldn't think it would show after so few miles. I would mention it to the dealer to see what they say.

OP
OP
Osiris

Osiris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L, 2014 Toyota Highlander, 2011 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
Thanks for the input guys.
You can also see the creases in the leather follow the same direction as that white rash which leads me to believe it wasn't just a rash from the button on my pants. Plus the scratch from me sliding in would the total opposite direction, in theory. Just imagine what this will look like in 5 years!!! If I would have known this, I would have gotten the EXT and then paid for my seats and armrest to be redone in a shop somewhere. My Tundra is a 2011 and I always slide down/out of the truck, across the bolster, and it's not coming apart (vinyl, though).

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My seats, at just under 16k, show a little bit of wear on the left side bottom part of the seat (showed it on my old car too - I guess I just put more weight on the left side) - nothing on the bolster like yours.

IMO a number of factors, like weight and weight distribution of your body, your posture, and the way you sit can "abnormally" affect the seats, although at your mileage it doesn't seem a bit premature.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
Looking at how they rolled the seam right where your body exits and enters the seat, this is going to be pretty common.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I feel, at 4k miles, the leather should not be showing this type of damage. What are your thoughts on this? Do you think this would be a warranty issue to bring up at my first oil change? I feel like i'll have to fight the "you had something in your back pocket" fight. I had my Solara for 10 years and I had the seats upgraded to Katzkin leather aftermarket and NEVER had an issue with the leather wearing out.

FullSizeRender.jpg
Like others said. Coat it with conditioner. I use Lexol Leather conditioner on my vehicles. I put it on the first day I had my Touring and again at 4,000 miles. I also have tinted windows which blocks the harmful UV rays from drying out and cracking the leather seats and other leather and plastic parts inside the car. I also have the Honda emblem seat covers. It's basically a blanket with a hole in it to go over the head rest and allows for the side air bag deployment. The cover is a PITA sometimes but I think it helps the wear and tear a bit. But it does look like from ur pics that maybe the type of jeans or pants or even a belt may do this. You have to look at how you get in and out of the car and see what is rubbing. I am a bigger guy at 230 pounds so I know if I'm not careful my seats will get damaged. I kind of swivel on my seat cover to get out. Lol.

Deleted member 5421

FullSizeRender.jpg

Sorry to hear you are having problems. But it does seem as others have posted it seems to be a rubbing type issue.

Blader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe touring WOP

FullSizeRender.jpg
Late to the party. My 2016 civic has the same issues with less than 4800 kms (3000 miles) in 15 months. The damage to the left bolster is far worse than the posted image. Took it in today and Honda is replacing the damaged seat under warranty. The representative had never before seen this type of damage and mused about abrasion as a possible cause. I told him that I only wear fleece. I also suggested other plausible causes, such as poor quality material, poor adhesives, poor workmanship. The material shipped to the seat manufacturer may not have met specifications. These things happen.
Abrasion is only one of many possible causes of chafing and flaking.
Sponsored