Leasing vs. Financing: Thoughts? Opinions?

LongRun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I posted the leasing documents in the other thread so people could see it. I hope I didn't give the impression that money factor was a good deal, because it is really high for a lease. It was purely for educational purpose for those that haven't seen a lease contract.
I really appreciate you posting the lease contract. That was enormously helpful and a bit brave. Thank you!
@LongRun I didn't read the entire post...
Yeah, it's long, but you seem to have gotten the gist.

If you get money back at the end of the lease, whether is was due to the car being in much higher demand, or you paid more money on it than it depreciated, or whatever reason, either way it is your money. As I mentioned, this does not always happen, but it can.
If you get money back at the end of the lease, it is your money, but that is exactly like if you get money back at the end of a loan it is your money. The only way to get money back is to sell the car for more than you owe on it. Because you get less money back at the end of a lease than at the end of the loan, I say it is not a win for a lease.

Start with $100,000 in a tax-free money market account, go through all the financing math and transaction costs, including the stupid tricks the finance manager plays (e.g. giving you zero percent interest by applying a rebate to the interest you owe instead of to the purchase price of the car) and the cost of selling the used car, and see how much money you have left. The only real-world way you end up with more money in your account at the end of a lease as opposed to a loan is if the car is worth significantly less than your agreed residual value (the bank under-estimated the depreciation). The pretty-much-never-happens ways you could have more money leasing is if your money market pays you higher interest than the true non-gimmicky interest rate you are paying on the lease, or if the lease interest rate is enough lower than the loan interest rate that it makes up for the higher loan amount.

However, just because you are usually paying more for a lease does not mean it is a bad deal. You usually pay more for insurance of any kind than you receive in cash benefits, but insurance protects you from random chance and surprises. You can think of a lease as a combination of a new car loan and an insurance policy that guarantees the car will be worth the residual amount at the end of the lease. A lot of lease vs. loan bias comes from how valuable you perceive that insurance policy to be for you.

The other big bias is that a lease lets you enjoy the benefits of future earnings to a greater degree than a loan does. Most people run their finances on a monthly cash flow basis, meaning what matters to them is how much they pay out each month versus how much they earn. They can either get twice as much car for the same amount or pay half as much per month for the same car when they lease versus buy. For someone who earns money from their car, getting a better car can actually more than make up for the increased finance costs. For someone who needs reliable transportation to get to work, leasing a new entry level car can pay off in not getting fired for being late or missing work due to transportation issues that might come from not having a car or driving a used car with no warranty that needs expensive repair. For someone who chooses to pay less per month for the same car, if they take the difference in payments and put it, say, in an IRA or towards buying a home, they might not be better off at the end of the lease, but they could be better off 10 years down the road.

Lastly, it is really hard to figure in taxes and fees, because they vary by state and dealerships. You add in trades and things can get pretty crazy!
Yes, it is very complicated. I agree with your choice to lease in your situation.
Sponsored

jdogcarroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic coupe ex-t lunar silver
What happens if you drive more miles that the contract states but planned on buying it out from the get-go? Is it still an issue? Fees? I drive right at about 15k miles a year... but I am not against lessening my mileage it if its an issue. Also who should I talk to about leasing one? The dealer? A Bank? im lost because I dont want to get hosed by the dealer. Lastly how can I factor in neg equity into a lease? impossible? I appreciate the post and all the info! I have earned a lot already.

LongRun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
What happens if you drive more miles that the contract states but planned on buying it out from the get-go? Is it still an issue? Fees?
If you buy the car at the end of the lease, you avoid the excess mileage charges, which are painfully high, but overall you will almost always pay more in total for the car than if you had bought the car to begin with (instead of leasing it) and financed it with a new car loan for the same period as the lease. The catch is that you will be paying a lot more per month. There are plenty of lease versus buy calculators just a Google search away.

AFAIK you can only lease a car for personal use from a dealer because they are the only ones equipped to take the car back at the end of the lease. You can get a loan to buy a new car from banks and credit unions, and that is usually a better deal than dealer financing, but it depends on your negotiating skills and the dealer, and that is beyond the scope of this thread.

CSIG1001

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 V6 6 SPEED COUPE ACCORD
IMO
USAA 2.49% 6 year loan

drive it 3 years and put as many miles as you want and then sell it for 27k
I almost guarantee this car will not depreciate much due to the fact its limited, sought after, dealer mark ups etc. The only way you will get bottom dollar, major accident, messed up rebuilt title, or alot of body damage.

In fact i bet on around the 12th year the car will stay around 15-20k just like the s2000 is doing now. The Type R will get improved but wont be nothing major IMO unless acura releases a awd 2.0T in the near future but that wills surely be 45k just like the golf r which also IMO is a lame ugly car and not unique.
I do not think the type R will be around forever.

Rcolonfdny

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking to purchase CTR, Toyota Yaris, 2016 Bmw S1000RR
Country flag
Is anyone else leasing a CTR? curious what other people have managed to get with leasing this car.

OP
OP
youCTR

youCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1292 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Is anyone else leasing a CTR? curious what other people have managed to get with leasing this car.
OP here and not sure if you wanted an update or a new person to chime in, but I actually did end up going through with a lease. I paid off my three-year lease in one lump sum (one pay lease) b/c of my current life situation and being concerned whether or not I'd get approved for a traditional lease or finance. So obviously the inverse, I didn't have the $40k laying around to pay full cash. Anyway, I saw it as paying half of the car now, and the rest off at the end of the lease. If something major happens to the car, then I'll just return it LOL. But so far, so good, and no problems yet. My money factor for the lease was posted back a few pages ago...if you're interested. Again, no markup, dealer-added accessories, warranties, etc...just lease according to sticker price.

sml2727

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma
New member here (hi) and im currently leasing my 2017 Tacoma, October 30 makes year 1 and now that the Type R is out I really want one, but the problem is I have 2 more years on my lease, anyone know what my options are?
Sponsored