Lease end coming up on my 17 EX-T coupe. Buyout is $13,600.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Coupe, 2017 Juke
Country flag
...and my mileage will be under 30k. I would be nuts not to buy it out, right?

I was thinking about the 2.0T Accord, but I am not really a four door guy, not to mention the cost would be more than double the buyout of my Civic.

I am thinking buy it out, drive it trouble-free for a 2-3 more years, and see if anything cool hits the marketplace that catches my eye. I'll still get good value on trade in.

I think I am just trying to convince myself here, but I know it's the right move.

35% window tint and a Hondata tune, here I come!
Sponsored

Fredline

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Mazda Miata MX-5
Country flag
I'll be having the same issue come end of September. Right now my buy out is $15,244 on my '17 EX-L Sedan w/15,6XX miles on it. Dealer said they'd give me $16,750 for it to trade in.
I want an Si Sedan in Red but they're hard to find around here. I'll probably end up buying mine as well. But I'll give it a couple months and look again...good luck with your decision.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just straight up purchased my ā€˜18 Touring sedan.
Always done that, but Iā€™ve always been a lifer who hangs on to his vehicles for a minimum of a decade.
Iā€™ve never leased, and canā€™t see the logic in it.
So, guys... enlighten me.
And not being a smart ass here either.
Why lease first and then buy out if when the lease is up?
It canā€™t be less money, can it?

REBELXSi

SeƱor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Always done that, but Iā€™ve always been a lifer who hangs on to his vehicles for a minimum of a decade.
I'm assuming some people just want the option to walk off they're done with the car.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
I leased my last Civic. A 2016 LX sedan. It was great. Super super low monthly payments. Car is under warranty the entire time. At the end, you can turn it in, or you just trade in. Because itā€™s a Honda, youā€™ll likely still have some residual value left over above and beyond the buyout price. I did.

As for buying when the lease is up... I considered it. On the plus side, youā€™re basically buying a certified used car, and you know who the first ā€œownerā€ was because it was you. Youā€™ll be financing the remaining value, so again low payments versus buying new.

Leasing is also a great way to build or rebuild your credit. Itā€™s not for everyone... but for some itā€™s a great option.

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
YES you would be nuts to not take the buyout, car is worth at least 2k more then that, thats equity you could get back even if you immediately turned around and sold it after buying it out which would give you more money to put down on the next car you want (assuming you have the cash to do the buyout and don't get a loan involved).

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
There are factors, if you are your own business and you use it purely for business use it's a big fat tax deduction and you can appear to be doing better then you actually are to potential clients, you don't want to be pulling up in a broken down piece of 10-20 year old junk when you are trying to sign a client that will be paying you tens of thousands of dollars over the next year or 2 while you work on their project, alternatively if you make sufficient money (like my oldest sister and her husband) then the benefit to leasing is if a car ever has a problem it's covered under the vehicles warranty and they get to constantly upgrade to new cars the way people upgrade to the new Iphone every year, for some people that reliability of always being in a low mileage car that you know doesn't and probably won't need anything more then oil changes the whole time you have it is worth paying for.

I debated leasing before I ended up getting my civic, then I saw how insanely high the lease rates where (if leases where even available) on the vehicles I was considering and opted for the 3 year old civic because for the same monthly payment across the same timeframe I end up owning the car free and clear. The other cars I was considering was a Model 3 which had just become available for lease (but that would have necessitated some electrical work on the house to install a charger that could perform adequately and just wasn't worth it) and the other car I wanted simply can't be leased from what I was able to find.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Coupe, 2017 Juke
Country flag
I leased my last few cars, and liked being able to change to something else, not worry about maintenance, etc.

In this case I didn't intend to buy it, but the buyout is so cheap I'd be nuts not to. As for how it all works out, my deal was $0 down and $209/mo for 36 mos. So 7,534 + 13,600 buyout = 21,124.

21,124 not a bad price at the time for a new 17 EX-T coupe. 13,600 is an even better deal for a used 17 with less than 30k. The #'s just happened to work out in my favor this time, so might as well take advantage.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
...and my mileage will be under 30k. I would be nuts not to buy it out, right?

I was thinking about the 2.0T Accord, but I am not really a four door guy, not to mention the cost would be more than double the buyout of my Civic.

I am thinking buy it out, drive it trouble-free for a 2-3 more years, and see if anything cool hits the marketplace that catches my eye. I'll still get good value on trade in.

I think I am just trying to convince myself here, but I know it's the right move.

35% window tint and a Hondata tune, here I come!
Do you like the car?if so keep it. Itā€™s unfortunate but not many two door cars out there ā€œmaybeā€the next gen civic will still have a coupe :dunno:

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Lease the new 2.0T Accord for 3yrs and buyout that instead?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If itā€™s trade in value is worth more than the buyout... buyout and trade in for an Accord...? Youā€™ll have to pay sales tax on the buyout, but itā€™d be credited back and then some for the higher trade value. Iā€™d work a deal on the side in the meantime before you go through the buyout to ensure itā€™ll work out.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
You asked and answered your own post in the same thread? Usually a person will "self talk", but typing your thoughts out and answering them is quite different.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
If itā€™s trade in value is worth more than the buyout... buyout and trade in for an Accord...? Youā€™ll have to pay sales tax on the buyout, but itā€™d be credited back and then some for the higher trade value. Iā€™d work a deal on the side in the meantime before you go through the buyout to ensure itā€™ll work out.
There isn't any "trade-in" value @charleswrivers, it's a lease; thus, it has a residual in the contract.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There isn't any "trade-in" value @charleswrivers, it's a lease; thus, it has a residual in the contract.
I thought from what he was saying the buyout price is low such that theyā€™re would be equity to turn around an a potential Accord 2.0 trade. (shrug) Iā€™d sure lock in a deal through before I did the buyout.
Sponsored