Learning to drive manual for first time on my ‘20 Si

tootingkoala

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I apologize in advance if my post sounds stupid. I am a first time stick shift driver (came from automatic ‘18 Civic EX) and I’m learning it on the Si I picked up 3 days ago. Luckily I have friends who are willing to teach me, but is there any info that I can stick into my brain to help guide me? Such as: when to shift (RPM?), what gears to be in for what speed, gears for uphill/downhill, etc etc. I have watched HOURS of youtube videos and scoured through TONS of links on this forum, but it’s like learning a new language for me. It’s very difficult lol

I understand it takes a lot of practice, but my biggest hindrance is being PARANOID that I am going to destroy my car! The jerkiness when I go from stop to first gear and also to second gear scares me. I am also concerned about “slipping the clutch” too much as I’m trying to move from stop or when I’m switching gears. I don’t want to “burn the clutch” prematurely, but this fear causes me to let off the clutch way too early and the car jerks/stalls.

All this jerking and vibrating and fishtailing (I gave up downshifting, I have no clue how to do it) - I’m just so worried! I guess I am looking for worst case scenario as a first time manual driver and ANY ADVICE/reassurance! Also what I should DEFINITELY avoid doing.

Someone mentioned that there is a manual/guide for the Si specifically online somewhere, but I can’t seem to find it. I only read the general Civic Sedan guide that came with the car. If anyone has this info to share, I’d appreciate it. I’m happy to be learning and be a part of this community.

Big thank you to everyone for your input :’)
Sponsored

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport 6mt Sedan
Country flag
Make sure ECO mode is turned off. That causes more jerks in my car. (19 Sport) I'm not sure if the Si has an eco mode or not.

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
My 2018 Si was my first manual. I have 50k miles on the car now. You will get the hang of it. The biggest challenge is a combination of trying to give too much gas and letting the clutch out too fast. When starting from a stop, all you need is 1200-1500 rpm or so and smooth and steady clutch release. Make sure not to pull your foot off the clutch really fast when you feel it start engaging, that is what is causing the lurching and stalling. What I practiced at first was this from a stop in a parking lot: No Gas, let out clutch really slowly until you feel car start to move, then immediately push it back to the floor. Do this several times so you know when it starts biting. Then practice adding a little bit of gas when it starts biting and a smooth release for the rest of the clutch travel.

Downshifting is important for having control over the car, but take it one step at a time. Pay attention to what speed you are in different gears at different rpm. For example, in my 2018, I know that I am a bit over 3k rpm in 3rd at 40mph. In 2nd at that speed I would be over 4k rpm. When you downshift, you need to match rpms of the lower gear with the speed you are going. So if I wanted to shift from 4th to 3rd going 40 mph, I would do the following: 1. press in the clutch 2. blip the throttle quickly to get rpms up to 3k rpm 3. Change gear lever to 3rd 4. Let out clutch. In real time, steps one and two happen almost simultaneously and step three and 4 very quickly after. Clutch movement here can be fast and smooth if you are matching rpms perfectly. You should only slip the clutch from a stop and then only enough to get going. Hope that helps!

DRuby

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
Fabrizzio71 hit it right. Learn to start without the gas pedal. That gives you the best feel for when the clutch is engaging. You'll get the muscle memmory.

At the low RPMs of starting out, there is a low risk of burning the clutch.

Good luck. You'll get it and driving will be a lot more fun than just steering an automatic around.

brownman

Driving a car in the land of the truck
First Name
eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 honda civic lx sedan
Country flag
the key is that there is no key, its all on the driver. We can recommend all day long but the paranoia will always remain. whatever feels comfortable for yourself with of course a bit of instruction can get you there. Personally I learned in a 1986 dump truck but once I hit a car, it was another work entirely. never burned up my clutch and the car lasted all 6 years I owned it without any issues.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I would recommend shifting around 3k rpm, and never accelerate too hard below 2k rpm. With the rev-hang this car comes with from the factory you have a lot of time to shift while going up in the gears. To get rid of the jerkiness you just need to learn what rpm the next gear is going to like before you release the clutch, which just takes time with the car. Rev-match downshifting can be tough for newbies since you are making a lot more engine noise in order to make smoother shifts with less jerk. You'll get it eventually!

kidk

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Coupe (FC3)
Country flag
I learned stick about 4 years ago in an '07 Civic LX. I can say that the 10th gen SI is a lot easier to learn in because of its featherweight clutch, which leads me to believe you're just overthinking and/or being anxious.

I did a lesson for one of my friends recently, only the second time he drove manual and was able to roll into 1st and shift into 2nd multiple times from a leveled-road stop. We started by 'creeping' the car - you play the balanacing act of the clutch let-out and accelerator depression until you get into a roll (assume the car does not move on its own due to road gradation) then immediately after, put the clutch in and let the car slow/brake to a stop. Rinse & repeat. This should help you become confident with engaging the clutch, AND coming to a stop (which is equally important in typical scenarios, e.g. driving through a crowded parking lot or in traffic). A lot of beginners (myself at one point) don't realize that you can disengage the clutch while rolling slowly @ 2 to 5mph, and slowly let go of it to re-engage, I'm thinking because of some preoccupation with the pedal balancing act - once you're moving, you will stop when you brake.

When you think you've mastered this exercise, practice doing it after stopping on an uphill grade.

The friend that helped teach me said he threw himself into the fire and sent out a message to all of his friends saying he would provide transportation for anyone that responded. He became an expert in a day ?‍♂

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 2009, Si Coupe 2019
Country flag
i was also new to MT and also getting over some really really high anxiety around driving in general after i was in a minor accident with my ridgeline (lady rear ended me and should not have even been on the road!).

Anyway - every MT car is different and i will say the civic SI is going to spoil you :)

I had some lessons on my BFs MT cars - and i also paid for a 1.5 hour MT driving lesson from a local driving school which think was the only one in my state i could find that did MT lessons. That gave me a huge boost in confidence. But i swear at times i feel like i am learning how to drive all over again. I have any easy 300k of automatic driving to my name if not more - since im not counting company/fleet type vehicles.

An empty parking lot is your friend, and with COVID going on, there are a lot more empty lots and empty roads. I did a lot of parking lot driving, and i have been working on my shifting. At this point, i am better with my stop to 1st shift - but i stalled SO MANY TIMES. Give me a light, with a hill and i am done for!

But i am doing better. Now if i stall, it seems like it was a stupid reason. Like no hill, in a parking lot and just - stall.. haha. I used to get PISSED - i mean rage quit pissed when i would stall my BFs car. I had to take step back - realize perfection is not possible on the first time, second time or 100th time. And even pro's stall their cars- they just edit that out of the video. Watch enough drag /race videos and the drivers will state - yeah i lost that race/turn/run because i misshifted.

I did get a magnet i stick on the back near the plate (only place it would stick) that says "stay back, learning manual" - not everyone sees it, but i think the people that do seem to back off more.

I found a neighborhood with steep hills and a small round about.. i basically practiced in that neighbor hood for a long time - hill starts - round about, stop, start. I am finally getting more comfortable with downshifts. While not correct, my driving instructor said that if needed, when slowing down, clutch in, check the speed, then choose the gear.

Each car/road is a little different - but generally the gear number matches the speed - like 30 =3rd sort of thing - but again not a rule of thumb, because i have taken turns in 4th at like 25MPH or something. Car does not care.

And some of it just comes with time - i am by no means perfect, but i can get along. im slow to shift, so right now i cheat a little - say i am going from 2-3 or 3-4 - i will give it a little gas to raise the engine RPM back up - since i am slow to select my next gear as i have a fear of mis shifting from say 3 to 2 if i am looking for 4. I am getting less likely to do it - and really - the shifter is great -it is just me having to learn. Some of this came down to figuring out a good seat position. Im short - 5'2" and i feel REALLY far forward in the car just to be able to depress the clutch fully.

while also driving on some back roads, i am practicing with just getting comfortable with downshifts... 6-5 5-4 and back up again. Speed is not really changing, i am doing like 50 the whole time.

Right now -my biggest issue is my feet. They dont wanna listen. Turning into my drive, i have to go from 50 to like 15 - with traffic barreling down on me, all on a sharp curve in the road. I still have an issue often with clutch in, brake, shift to 2nd, clutch up into 2nd gear and turn into my drive. LIke yesterday, my foot did NOT wanna come off the brake - i needed to come off the brake and the clutch to get into second but both feet were planted basically on brake and clutch. finally just had to screw it.. clutch in - brake harder and turn in the driveway and then clutch out as i got on my driveway - which is narrow AND a steep upgrade. All with a mustang screaming in the rear view.

Big thing.. glance in the mirror - dont stare. Worry about yourself - if you stall - sort yourself out - let the other idiots figure themselves out. Their job is to not hit you - your job is to not hit others...

I also like the saying in aviation - Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. If you are too frazzled to communicate, then just navigate and aviate.. Too frazzled to navigate - just fly the damn plane.

Also, dont worry so much about burning the clutch. It is meant to be slipped - more so going from stop to 1st and hell, i totally control my speed in R using the clutch - i hardly have to use gas or brake till i stop.

I was so worried about burning things up that i was not using it enough and causing a jerky ride because i would lift my foot too fast. I was slowly moving the gear shifter, but lifting my foot fast - so the RPMs would drop as i select my gear, and then i would basically dump the clutch and tire would then spin faster than the engine and get a jerk. I figured out that i need to clutch slower and shift faster - i am getting there - but in the mean time i add a little gas as i release the clutch.

Others might complain about rev hang - at this point i need more rev hang HAHAHA

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Make sure ECO mode is turned off. That causes more jerks in my car. (19 Sport) I'm not sure if the Si has an eco mode or not.
No ECO on the SI - instead of a ECO mode we get sport button that tightens up suspension, steering and throttle response.

Jfuston

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I'm still working on this myself. I learned on a motorcycle and then with an older Honda Prelude, but it's been a while and it's not quite like riding a bike. So I feel you. My biggest problem currently is pulling out in traffic. I feel like I can't stay in 1st through the whole turn because it will rev up really high, but shifting into 2nd makes it really jerky for my passengers even just letting off the clutch. Not to mention that you're wanting to do it really fast because, well, there's cars coming at you!

kidk

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Coupe (FC3)
Country flag
Others might complain about rev hang - at this point i need more rev hang HAHAHA
This is another reason why I find the 10th gen SI is easier to learn manual in. You don't really have to 'catch' after shifting, you just wait for the appropriate RPM and slowly let off the clutch. The car also comes with hill-start assist, so you can practice on steeply graded roads.

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is another reason why I find the 10th gen SI is easier to learn manual in. You don't really have to 'catch' after shifting, you just wait for the appropriate RPM and slowly let off the clutch. The car also comes with hill-start assist, so you can practice on steeply graded roads.
yes, i used hill start a few times - my first day driving the car - got to a traffic light with a steep hill. Person behind me was up my bumper - i of course stalled a few times - rolled back, finally turned on the brake hold. But i admit - brake hold to me feels REALLY strange.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
I've created a rpm/speed thread you can check it out here https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/2020-rpm-speed-for-all-gears-table.48807/. You can play around with the shift points and maybe learn a thing or two. I think Engineering Explained did some tests and found that for economy, best to shift at the lowest possible rpm. Common sense tells me it's probably best to shift at the point when the target rpm will be in the torque band. The Si's torque band starts at 2.1K. I shift mostly by feel probably around 2.5K to 3.0K.

You def need to get your down shift techniques down to keep your momentum up when traffic condition changes. When I was a noob and was afraid to down shift (much like you now), I would roll in neutral when I need to slow down to merge. This would sometimes result in stalling (when I shift into neutral too late) or loose a merge spot when I take too long to shift into a proper gear and the driver behind me sped up or the driver completely stops to wait for me to merge in. So avoid rolling in neutral unless you're coming to a stop and always be in a proper gear. And also you want to be in a proper gear BEFORE the car needs to be in that gear. For example, when pulling into a small shopping plaza parking lot, you should already be completely rolling in gear (2nd mostly. unless of course if there's pedestrian crossing in which case, you need to stop) before you turn in. Same principle as in cycling as if you're not already in a proper gear when you hit the base of a hill, you'll end up either wasting lots of energy shifting to the proper gear or need to dismount.

Last edited:

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
I apologize in advance if my post sounds stupid. I am a first time stick shift driver (came from automatic ‘18 Civic EX) and I’m learning it on the Si I picked up 3 days ago. Luckily I have friends who are willing to teach me, but is there any info that I can stick into my brain to help guide me? Such as: when to shift (RPM?), what gears to be in for what speed, gears for uphill/downhill, etc etc. I have watched HOURS of youtube videos and scoured through TONS of links on this forum, but it’s like learning a new language for me. It’s very difficult lol

I understand it takes a lot of practice, but my biggest hindrance is being PARANOID that I am going to destroy my car! The jerkiness when I go from stop to first gear and also to second gear scares me. I am also concerned about “slipping the clutch” too much as I’m trying to move from stop or when I’m switching gears. I don’t want to “burn the clutch” prematurely, but this fear causes me to let off the clutch way too early and the car jerks/stalls.

All this jerking and vibrating and fishtailing (I gave up downshifting, I have no clue how to do it) - I’m just so worried! I guess I am looking for worst case scenario as a first time manual driver and ANY ADVICE/reassurance! Also what I should DEFINITELY avoid doing.

Someone mentioned that there is a manual/guide for the Si specifically online somewhere, but I can’t seem to find it. I only read the general Civic Sedan guide that came with the car. If anyone has this info to share, I’d appreciate it. I’m happy to be learning and be a part of this community.

Big thank you to everyone for your input :’)
In lower gears (under 4th), clutch in fast so you don't drag the clutch, clutch out slower to smooth the transition.

Switch your display to fuel range and economy. If you're not sure if you're in too low or too high of a gear, you can look at how much fuel is being used by the gauge. You can learn what gear is the right gear by the one that is using the least amount of fuel at any given constant speed or range of speed. I just got 49 MPG shifting the way I shift for fuel economy and that includes rev matching:

In KM/H:
1st 0-14
2nd 15-24
3rd 25-39
4th 40-59
5th 60-74
6th 80+

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey man, to help ease your mind, I had so many stalls/jerks/bad shifts in my CTR for the first year I had it, and there's no hint of any sort of abrupt clutch/transmission damage even knowing that. It just comes with practice, believe me :)

I learned smooth upshifting by looking at how much the revs drop from gear to gear and basically learning how to time the release so that the clutch engages at the right RPM. A little jerk is normal. When I drive spiritedly I get jerks all the time - it adds to the experience IMO. It's subtle but you can feel it. I'm not lunging forward by any means, but just a small little "kick".
Sponsored