Learned the hard way? No audio after HeadUnit replacement

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
How is that? I'm not saying you're wrong, but as far as I've seen, there is no speaker level output from the touring/Si head unit, only the line into the kick panel amp. From there, the wiring harness has been documented elsewhere on the forum as follows-

Are you saying that one of the other two connectors has rear tweeter lines in it? I'm certainly not going to dig in with a multimeter to find out, and I don't recall seeing any other pinout diagrams for the other connectors, but I'd like to know.
Yeah, the amp wire diagram you have there is incomplete. Here is the full documentation of all the connectors on the amp for 10-speaker cars:

Honda Civic 10th gen Learned the hard way? No audio after HeadUnit replacement four amp connectors
Sponsored

905User

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
It really is too bad no one makes an adapter to reuse the Honda amp or a deck that has the function built in. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if they were available to change up the deck as I don't hate the sound I have today with the separate sub and upgraded speakers. It's just that barely usable, slow and unstable deck itself.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Actually, I think I spoke too soon - from this thread, it looks like the CTKPHD02 may well allow re-using the Honda amp with an aftermarket headunit. It looks like it might be only sold in the UK, though.

Hasdrubal

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si sedan, 2015 Fit, 2009 Ridgeline
Country flag
Thanks for the complete stereo diagram, very interesting. Wonder why they went to all the trouble of having the extra connector when the rear speakers have such low power.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I think all the speakers get the same amount of power, actually. Or, at least, have identical amplifier circuitry driving them. I think the subwoofer has a lower nominal impedance, so it could be getting more power from the same circuitry.

I'm not 100% sure on that, but think about it - the specs say the 10-speaker system is 450W and the 12-speaker system is 540W. So two additional speakers and 90 additional watts. So the two little extra speakers the hatchback gets are getting 45W each.

Since 45W conveniently goes into 450W ten times, and into 540W twelve times., it seems likely to me that all the channels are 45W. Not saying it's impossible that they could have it split up differently, but this is not exactly a well-designed system and I bet they took the easy route.

Hasdrubal

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si sedan, 2015 Fit, 2009 Ridgeline
Country flag
You're making a lot of sense, it's a shame we don't get more control over how the amp actually outputs to the speakers. But whether the limit is built into the amp or the head unit, the rears don't seem to do much.

Makes me wonder what the actual, usable power would be if they rated the same way as aftermarket equipment? 45w peak would be maybe 20w RMS? And lower for some of the channels in terms of what you actually get to the speakers.
Sponsored