Leaky Taillight Housing

Andy123az

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura MDX Tech, 2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anybody else notice that when it rains, water gets into the taillight housing? I was switching out my turn signal bulbs for LEDs found on Amazon and when I opened up the taillight housing, there were drops of water inside the housing. Should I be concerned?
Sponsored

Strack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe LX, 2002 Oldsmobile Alero
I noticed a bit of condensation inside the driver side turn signal lens as well, it seemed to go away though.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Beads of condensation are normal, and happens because the inside of the housing is hot (due to incandescent bulbs) and moisture outside. Some headlights/taillights have a small atmospheric vent (looks like a semi-porous rubber seal hole thing) to try and ensure this doesn't happen.

If you see an actual puddle of water as below, that's definitely cause for concern, as you've likely cracked the lens or seal somewhere.
Honda Civic 10th gen Leaky Taillight Housing condensation-3

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Beads of condensation are normal, and happens because the inside of the housing is hot (due to incandescent bulbs) and moisture outside. Some headlights/taillights have a small atmospheric vent (looks like a semi-porous rubber seal hole thing) to try and ensure this doesn't happen.

If you see an actual puddle of water as below, that's definitely cause for concern, as you've likely cracked the lens or seal somewhere.
Honda Civic 10th gen Leaky Taillight Housing condensation-3
Nah.... This guy just didnt change his blinker fluid correctly

maaaaackle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
SO long as it isnt flooded with water and its only beads, its fine. It's just the condensation forming on the lense.

OP
OP
Andy123az

Andy123az

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura MDX Tech, 2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think it's just condensation. There is dirt in there as well. I'm guessing the taillights leak from up top. The water from the rear of the car all flows downwards and some end up in the taillight.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
I don't think it's just condensation. There is dirt in there as well. I'm guessing the taillights leak from up top. The water from the rear of the car all flows downwards and some end up in the taillight.
Shouldnt be getting in there with dirt.. Should be condensation as stated before.. Keep an eye on it
Sponsored