Thomasmith01

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
My skid plate seems to have some sort of oil (I think tranny oil) on it. It appears to be clumps of small rocks and dirt mixed with oil. Has anyone had anything like this? I've been driving it like this for a while and the shifts haven't felt less smooth, but the anxiety is starting to kick in of my tranny nuking itself. ?
Sponsored

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
My skid plate seems to have some sort of oil (I think tranny oil) on it. It appears to be clumps of small rocks and dirt mixed with oil. Has anyone had anything like this? I've been driving it like this for a while and the shifts haven't felt less smooth, but the anxiety is starting to kick in of my tranny nuking itself. ?
can you post some pictures? My car is around 21k and my skid plate is always bone dry till date

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, looks like something is leaking in your engine bay. check your engine valve cover and half shaft if possible. Did you change your oil recently or got it changed from dealer?

OP
OP

Thomasmith01

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Yeah, looks like something is leaking in your engine bay. check your engine valve cover and half shaft if possible. Did you change your oil recently or got it changed from dealer?
I took it to the dealer for an oil change because it is under warranty right now and I'd just rather them do it. They mentioned the leak and wanted me to pay an extra $75 for a "master technician" to determine what the fluid was. One of their techs said it was probably hydraulic steering fluid, but the civics are electrically assisted steering I believe so I ruled that out.

OP
OP

Thomasmith01

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Oh and I also took a video trying to see the bottom of the tranny without removing the skid plate and it appeared to be bone dry...

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you can, take the plate off. Philips and a flat head. Then you can get a much better look. If anything, just touch it and smell it. Tranny fluid stinks. Hopefully it’s nothing major and a easy fix. Good luck man ??

OP
OP

Thomasmith01

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
If you can, take the plate off. Philips and a flat head. Then you can get a much better look. If anything, just touch it and smell it. Tranny fluid stinks. Hopefully it’s nothing major and a easy fix. Good luck man ??
So like I tasted it earlier in the week and I honestly tasted nothing besides dirt. My buddy and I made a smear mark 2 months ago and where the mark is made it’s still perfectly clean. Not sure if that means much haha! I’ll take it off on the weekend and send a photo of what I find!

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So like I tasted it earlier in the week and I honestly tasted nothing besides dirt. My buddy and I made a smear mark 2 months ago and where the mark is made it’s still perfectly clean. Not sure if that means much haha! I’ll take it off on the weekend and send a photo of what I find!
I honestly think you’re fine man. Could be lots of dirt and crap that just builds up. You would definitely know if it was tranny fluid and even oil. And the fact that there isn’t much new stuff. You’re probably good but won’t hurt to check. I know I would, I still check the condensation drops after I park to make sure it’s just water haha.

OP
OP

Thomasmith01

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I honestly think you’re fine man. Could be lots of dirt and crap that just builds up. You would definitely know if it was tranny fluid and even oil. And the fact that there isn’t much new stuff. You’re probably good but won’t hurt to check. I know I would, I still check the condensation drops after I park to make sure it’s just water haha.
Haha thanks man!!! Lmao I always do a double take like uhhh that better be water ?

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
it’s just dirt and gunk from the engine bay and road. mine was pretty dirty last oil change as well.

There are a lot of greased parts in the engine bay, maybe some residual oil left from taking the oil filter off. Driving on fresh asphalt will also coat the bottom of your car in grease. Asphalt is a petroleum product. A lot of roads have been freshly paved in the last 4 months.

Always encouraged to get under your car every once in awhile and check for leaks at drain plugs and seals. You’ll know for sure if there is an actual leak to worry about.

OP
OP

Thomasmith01

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
it’s just dirt and gunk from the engine bay and road. mine was pretty dirty last oil change as well.

There are a lot of greased parts in the engine bay, maybe some residual oil left from taking the oil filter off. Driving on fresh asphalt will also coat the bottom of your car in grease. Asphalt os a petroleum product. A lot of roads have been freshly paved in the last 4 months.
Thanks man!!! Y’all are really helping my anxiety haha!

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

There are a lot of greased parts in the engine bay, maybe some residual oil left from taking the oil filter off. Driving on fresh asphalt will also coat the bottom of your car in grease. Asphalt is a petroleum product. A lot of roads have been freshly paved in the last 4 months.

Always encouraged to get under your car every once in awhile and check for leaks at drain plugs and seals. You’ll know for sure if there is an actual leak to worry about.
This is the reason I do oil changes by myself as I clean everything thoroughly after changing filter and oil. Run engine for few minutes to check if anything is leaking and buckle up the undertray. My undertray is clean as new car.

OP
OP

Thomasmith01

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
This is the reason I do oil changes by myself as I clean everything thoroughly after changing filter and oil. Run engine for few minutes to check if anything is leaking and buckle up the undertray. My undertray is clean as new car.
Yah that’s definitely a positive. I figured might as well bring it the dealership because they are free up to 50k I think. But tomorrow I’m taking the skid plate off and giving it a scrub and if I find anything underneath I’ll update the forum.
Sponsored