Launching turbo cvt. Underrated hp

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
That's actually correct. I'm surprised you knew that.

Unfortunately, the usefulness of that fact to this discussion, beyond to be pedantic, is not apparent. I do think you can still understand the explanation.

...Especially being bound by Earth's gravity for all your life... Do you weigh yourself in Newtons? ;)

Makes a big difference when you calculate the force required to move a vehicle. :)

By the way, dynamometers measure the torque developed and not the horsepower. As I previously stated, power is the product of torque and angular velocity.
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
More importantly, dynos measure the work at the wheels or hubs vs. the flywheel. I imagine the true output curve will be somewhat different between the CVT and MT once available.

Last edited:

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
My point is just because this civic came with a cvt trans doesnt mean its weak. If honda put a dct one in it they wouldve designed it to handle the same amount of power as the cvt currently can. People need to understand that cars arent built so you can add 100 horspeower to them. If you have the vw gti with the 8 speed dct and want to make a dramatic increase to that engines power you will have to beef up the dct or change it entirely to something stronger.
Cars ARE built so you CAN add 100hp to them.

I have a DSG GTI. It is NOT 8 speed, it is 6 speed. And there are many DSG's running around 350-400WHP with no issues at all. The 6MT GTI blows it clutch at Stage 1 in less than 20K miles. The DSG LOVES HP. The GTI 2.0T makes tons of power, it's WHP is more than it's rated crank HP.

Please don't spread misinformation. There ARE cars out there that have lots of room left for more power. Just because your 1.5L CVT Civic doesn't have spare capacity for big power boosts doesn't mean every car out there is the same

OP
OP
tcaudo

tcaudo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex-t
Cars ARE built so you CAN add 100hp to them.

I have a DSG GTI. It is NOT 8 speed, it is 6 speed. And there are many DSG's running around 350-400WHP with no issues at all. The 6MT GTI blows it clutch at Stage 1 in less than 20K miles. The DSG LOVES HP. The GTI 2.0T makes tons of power, it's WHP is more than it's rated crank HP.

Please don't spread misinformation. There ARE cars out there that have lots of room left for more power. Just because your 1.5L CVT Civic doesn't have spare capacity for big power boosts doesn't mean every car out there is the same
Lol youre funny takemorepills. On average a stock trans or clutch cant hold extremely large amounts of power increases. Ill say the golf r can handle it or the civic type r or the focus rs but not your gti im sorry. So try to act like my 2016 cvt civic is the only car ive ever owned when ive had a 1995 lt1 Camaro built with a 383 stroker, cam ported heads and ran low 12s all day with over 400whp 450 lb ft. Ive owned fast cars. My point is your little gti stock auto transmission or stock clutch cant handle THAT much more horsepower than it has stock. If your gti has 220hp stock the clutch is NOT handling 400 WHEEL HORSEPOWER. You will have to change the clutch to double the power man. Maybe you should "takelesspills" Yes the car is capable of producing more power with modifications but you have to strengthen the rest of the powertrain. I had to change my Camaro's clutch and build the rear with entirely new internals. The 6 speed manual could handle the engine I put in it but the clutch couldn't and that's my entire point. Go ahead and insult my daily driver that runs on regular gets 42mpg and is extremely close in speed to your gti haha Anyone with a name like "takemorepills" is obviously mature and should really spread as much information as possible. There are cars out there that can handle more horsepower than they have stock but in general and on average usually something in the drivetrain has to be modified in or to compensate for the large increase in power or else youre going to have a really shitty day when you try to race.

Last edited:

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Lol youre funny takemorepills. On average a stock trans or clutch cant hold extremely large amounts of power increases. Ill say the golf r can handle it or the civic type r or the focus rs but not your gti im sorry. So try to act like my 2016 cvt civic is the only car ive ever owned when ive had a 1995 lt1 Camaro built with a 383 stroker, cam ported heads and ran low 12s all day with over 400whp 450 lb ft. Ive owned fast cars. My point is your little gti stock auto transmission or stock clutch cant handle THAT much more horsepower than it has stock. If your gti has 220hp stock the clutch is NOT handling 400 WHEEL HORSEPOWER. You will have to change the clutch to double the power man. Maybe you should "takelesspills" Yes the car is capable of producing more power with modifications but you have to strengthen the rest of the powertrain. I had to change my Camaro's clutch and build the rear with entirely new internals. The 6 speed manual could handle the engine I put in it but the clutch couldn't and that's my entire point. Go ahead and insult my daily driver that runs on regular gets 42mpg and is extremely close in speed to your gti haha Anyone with a name like "takemorepills" is obviously mature and should really spread as much information as possible. There are cars out there that can handle more horsepower than they have stock but in general and on average usually something in the drivetrain has to be modified in or to compensate for the large increase in power or else youre going to have a really shitty day when you try to race.
Bad idea to argue on something you will lose on. Go research the Mk7 GTI. Then, come back and apologize or quietly ignore this argument.

FYI...stock GTI puts down at the wheel over 225HP. Stage 1.5 mods are adding 100whp. DSG do NOT break, neither do their clutches slip at 350+whp.

tcaudo, I would LOVE to see you keep up with a GTI DSG. There is no way, you think because the 1.5T traps at 90-92MPH (best ever recorded) that it can even be CLOSE to a 100MPH trap car? Even 0.1 sec and 2 mph in a 1/4 is like car lengths difference. The difference between a GTI and your 1.5T is (lots of) bus lengths. And, on top of that, $400 piggyback JBI gets a GTI 40WHP, and a $500 DP adds ANOTHER 25-30WHP ON TOP OF THAT. Many Mk7 owners are getting 285-305 WHP out of GTI's with JUST a JB1 and a DP. That's all it takes man.

Don't think I am a GTI fanboy. FWD sucks for this much (or more) power. The Si will suck too when getting tuned upwards of an additional 50-100WHP. But this is for sure, I certainly don't need to worry about any 1.5T CVT cars. Not even remotely!

OP
OP
tcaudo

tcaudo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex-t
Bad idea to argue on something you will lose on. Go research the Mk7 GTI. Then, come back and apologize or quietly ignore this argument.

FYI...stock GTI puts down at the wheel over 225HP. Stage 1.5 mods are adding 100whp. DSG do NOT break, neither do their clutches slip at 350+whp.

tcaudo, I would LOVE to see you keep up with a GTI DSG. There is no way, you think because the 1.5T traps at 90-92MPH (best ever recorded) that it can even be CLOSE to a 100MPH trap car? Even 0.1 sec and 2 mph in a 1/4 is like car lengths difference. The difference between a GTI and your 1.5T is (lots of) bus lengths. And, on top of that, $400 piggyback JBI gets a GTI 40WHP, and a $500 DP adds ANOTHER 25-30WHP ON TOP OF THAT.

Don't think I am a GTI fanboy. FWD sucks for this much (or more) power. The Si will suck too when getting tuned upwards of an additional 50-100WHP. But this is for sure, I certainly don't need to worry about any 1.5T CVT cars. Not even remotely!
I said its close to gti in speed kid. Car and driver trapped 94mph in the quarter with the new civic and trapped 100mph in the gti. So hooray for your 6mph pull lol go bother another thread. Youre extremely childish trying to add all these different things together and say oh this adds 35 this adds 20 blah blah obviously you have never really worked on a car and dyno tuned anything. Your gti is a quick car but im sorry if i dont think 14 flat at 100mph is that fast. My car gets 10 mpg better than your car and runs on regular and your car is barely faster lol 5-6mph trap speed is nothing crazy.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
I said its close to gti in speed kid. Car and driver trapped 94mph in the quarter with the new civic and trapped 100mph in the gti. So hooray for your 6mph pull lol go bother another thread. Youre extremely childish trying to add all these different things together and say oh this adds 35 this adds 20 blah blah obviously you have never really worked on a car and dyno tuned anything. Your gti is a quick car but im sorry if i dont think 14 flat at 100mph is that fast.
Your post #29 was so full of misinformation, 8DSG dude? You wanna still argue? I HAD to call you out on it. Keep arguing "kid". I think anyone around here who knows something about cars knows you are full of it. I never said my car was quick. I said it is WAY faster than your 1.5T CVT. Which it is.

Way off topic now. Stop showing how stupid you are in public.

OP
OP
tcaudo

tcaudo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex-t
Your post #29 was so full of misinformation, 8DSG dude? You wanna still argue? I HAD to call you out on it. Keep arguing "kid". I think anyone around here who knows something about cars knows you are full of it. I never said my car was quick. I said it is WAY faster than your 1.5T CVT. Which it is.

Way off topic now. Stop showing how stupid you are in public.
Right...takemorepills makes you look really smart hahahaha you have like 500 posts on this forum and you drive a gti? You live to troll on forums. Judging by your posts youre definitely a young kid who probably lives home with mommy and daddy who also paid for your car. So go take more pills and keep thinking your golf is a race car. I said your car has an 8 speed instead of a 6 oooooo noooooo lol go away troll. You immediately lost any credibility when your punk ass made your name take more pills. Go get some help.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Right...takemorepills makes you look really smart hahahaha you have like 500 posts on this forum and you drive a gti? You live to troll on forums. Judging by your posts youre definitely a young kid who probably lives home with mommy and daddy who also paid for your car. So go take more pills and keep thinking your golf is a race car. I said your car has an 8 speed instead of a 6 oooooo noooooo lol go away troll. You immediately lost any credibility when your punk ass made your name take more pills. Go get some help.
Personal attacks. Great.

hondabuildquality

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Makes a big difference when you calculate the force required to move a vehicle. :)

By the way, dynamometers measure the torque developed and not the horsepower. As I previously stated, power is the product of torque and angular velocity.
Dude I think I did a pretty good job of explaining how it works. You're free to come up with and say whatever you want that lets you believe whatever you want to believe.

For the record, and just in case this is the reason why you are being so stubborn, I never meant it as an insult to your intelligence or anything remotely like that, or even as a negative thing towards you. I just wanted to explain how the physics worked because it's a really annoying yet extremely common misconception and pet peeve of mine. So it wasn't directed at you.

Maybe it really is just something that most people find hard to understand (which explains why 90%+ of people haven't the slightest clue what even the most basic differences in torque or horsepower are, let alone having a strong understanding of them as they relate to cars as I'm wishing was the case) and you're getting stuck because you're not accepting my credibility on understanding the issue. In that case the Wikipedia on the subject that I linked to earlier is actually perfectly accurate. The blog post that was linked to is not

Anyways it really does not matter in the end. I just hope I never get into a forum war like the one witnessed in the rest of this thread!

Last edited:

spawn0978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta TDI
thinking about getting a 2016 civic ex-t but definitely want to change the audio that comes with the car, does anyone know what will fit? crutchfield says nothing will fit that layout and i've heard from some that the audio is buggy.

whaaaaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L, Black w/ Ivory interior
Country flag
thinking about getting a 2016 civic ex-t but definitely want to change the audio that comes with the car, does anyone know what will fit? crutchfield says nothing will fit that layout and i've heard from some that the audio is buggy.
I'm not sure it's even possible. The display audio system is so integrated with other functions like climate control, etc, that going aftermarket might not be an option. Speakers, amps, sure. Just not sure about the computer head unit itself.

OP
OP
tcaudo

tcaudo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex-t
Ex t trim is the only trim with zero audio bugs

OP
OP
tcaudo

tcaudo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex-t
don't the EX, EX-T and EX-L all have the same audio system?
For whatever reason the ex l and touring trim suffer from screen flicker and audio issues. Ive not had one problem. Ex l and touring have other options that are electrical that the ex t doesnt come with. I think the issue is resolved with a simple update provided by honda. Its a recall
Sponsored