Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
no launching, no brake boosting, no flooring it from a dead stop...those are things car manufacturers assumed people don't do with a CVT car normally...I guess.
Flooring it from a stop on occasion isn't a huge issue. Fact is though, it's much more effective doing that from a roll.
Sponsored

Last edited:

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Flooring it from a stop on occasion isn't a huge issue. Fact is though, it's much more effective doing that from a roll.
....more fun too...you can feel all the torque coming in...from a stop the first few seconds are always mehh unless electric car or something extremely powerful...a car just doesn't have much get up and go compared to a bike or a sled for example.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
:popcorn:

magshell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback ST
Country flag
The primary "pulley" of the CVT needs to immediately catch the belt with friction and cause the second pulley to move. The faster the primary pulley is moving (revving) the more stress is created in catching the belt.

You will just be counting down the times as the belt slips more and more before gripping and causes more scratches/scorches on the sides of the pulley until it can no longer catch the belt with friction anymore (at the specific "gear").

I have not heard of the belt itself ever breaking, which would likely be from towing something too heavy.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I guess the advanced VSA in KTuner are kind of like a launch control of you mean it as a means to be able to WOT from a dig and hook easier. As already stated, brake boosting isn't a very good for your CVT. There's also the world famous Myxal Two-step for faster launches

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't take those sarcastic and cocky replys too personal. ?

I never heard of someone who said launch control aka brake boosting will not harm your CVT. Some people still do it:

Think of these poor people who buy those as used cars.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Fastest way to take off with a CVT - fast right foot.

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
@Sev You don't have launch control ??? Yikes. It's a standard feature on all 2017+ touring models (base, si, ctr)

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd say the best improvement would the the improved throttle response that comes with the Hondata and KTuner tunes.

But then if you're going to floor it a few times every second weekend on the drag strip, maybe that could also be considered as CVT abuse...

Found another solid CVT brake boost, poor belt o_O

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Eh em, there's tons of combustion engine car that have powerfull get up and go power,,, porsche 911 turbo S, m5 competition, e63s, rs7 etc are all in the 3 seconds 0-60..what's doesn't have get up and go power is a CIVIC.
Honda Civic 10th gen Launch Control with CVT 1620708464055

Sleeper_FK7

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT FK7
Country flag
somebody needs to do something about this dang cvt. I didn't know that the cvt was an uncommonish transmission. I didn't think that the auto would be such an issue since my buddy has a 330i 6speed auto and he constantly brake boost launches and he said that the autos are better than manual, but for civic's it just the opposite. Just wish there was more helpful information out on the cvt other than just shooting down the idea of possibly working with the awful transmission. I mean its all we got and its all that's gunna be on the new 11th gen civics unless you can fork out the dough on a type r or si. idk just hate seeing these threads where nothing good comes of a simple question.

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
somebody needs to do something about this dang cvt. I didn't know that the cvt was an uncommonish transmission. I didn't think that the auto would be such an issue since my buddy has a 330i 6speed auto and he constantly brake boost launches and he said that the autos are better than manual, but for civic's it just the opposite. Just wish there was more helpful information out on the cvt other than just shooting down the idea of possibly working with the awful transmission. I mean its all we got and its all that's gunna be on the new 11th gen civics unless you can fork out the dough on a type r or si. idk just hate seeing these threads where nothing good comes of a simple question.
It's been said already but the Myx Myxal two step multi infinity step is a good way to "trick" the cvt's software into keeping a good rpm range when accelerating aggressively. Otherwise you're really limited by the hardware of the cvt and as far as I know there's no way to upgrade cvt components to make it stronger. I'm not sure what else you'd like to hear, even the 6 speeds will break gears with added power and aggressive launch/shifts.

cliffs:
-tune to maximize engine power (likely tuner will limit peak torque)
-learn how to control cvt with throttle inputs for max performance
Sponsored