Sev

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring 1.5T Sedan 2020 - Race Chip RS
Country flag
Simple question: I have a Civic Touring 2020 and would like to known what are the safe limits (if any) on revving up the engine while holding the brakes pedal with the gear on either D or S.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
If you want, I can give you a phone number to order your replacement CVT.

OP
OP

Sev

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring 1.5T Sedan 2020 - Race Chip RS
Country flag
If you want, I can give you a phone number to order your replacement CVT.
Ok. I count that as 01 "there are no safe limits". Any other opinions on this matter?

Badigadi

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Since we are talking launch control, I know it's bad but I don't know why. What goes wrong when someone tunes for launch control in one of our Civics besides a broken CVT?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Since we are talking launch control, I know it's bad but I don't know why.

What goes wrong when someone tunes for launch control in one of our Civics besides a broken CVT?
Why do I get the feeling this entire thread belongs on Comedy Central?

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Since we are talking launch control, I know it's bad but I don't know why. What goes wrong when someone tunes for launch control in one of our Civics besides a broken CVT?
The broken CVT is usually the issue.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In short, there is no launch control.
But, if you set brake hold, you will get a slightly faster launch since you’re not transitioning your foot from brake to gas pedal. And also put the car in S gear.

Badigadi

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Why do I get the feeling this entire thread belongs on Comedy Central?
So you mean people who genuinely wish to educate themselves are amusing to see? This is my first car mate, I don't know "obvious things" you might have decades knowing.

The broken CVT is usually the issue.
So if I had a 6MT with better clutch it would be fine? It probably isn't, but what goes wrong after it?

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
So you mean people who genuinely wish to educate themselves are amusing to see? This is my first car mate, I don't know "obvious things" you might have decades knowing.

So if I had a 6MT with better clutch it would be fine? It probably isn't, but what goes wrong after it?
There is always some drivetrain shock when launching but the clutch is designed to slip and will take most of the abuse. You can absolutely launch a 6MT at the expense of more frequent clutch replacements. Even if the gears were damaged there's replacement options. The CVT is way more fragile and doesn't have easily replaceable parts. So it's easier to break and requires a full replacement when it does.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Even the manual breaks if you frequently Launch.

Unfortunately there is next to nothing you can do to strengthen the CVT on this platform.
A manual gearbox with upgraded gears would be wanted for launching situations.

Badigadi

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
There is always some drivetrain shock when launching but the clutch is designed to slip and will take most of the abuse. You can absolutely launch a 6MT at the expense of more frequent clutch replacements. Even if the gears were damaged there's replacement options. The CVT is way more fragile and doesn't have easily replaceable parts. So it's easier to break and requires a full replacement when it does.
Thanks for your reply and the explanation, I know the CVT is the weakest link in this cars because kind people in this forum have warned us about it. The reason I asked is because I have seen people mentioning that launch control can damage your CAT for example, so I was wondering if there's more to get damaged beside what I already know.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thanks for your reply and the explanation, I know the CVT is the weakest link in this cars because kind people in this forum have warned us about it. The reason I asked is because I have seen people mentioning that launch control can damage your CAT for example, so I was wondering if there's more to get damaged beside what I already know.
People often confuse things like a 2 step rev limiter vs anti lag. You can launch the car just by holding high rpm and dumping the clutch or by brake boosting a CVT or revving in neutral and slamming it into drive. All those can hurt your drivetrain but shouldn't damage your exhaust.

Anti lag involves dumping a ton of fuel and pulling ignition timing so you send loads of unburnt fuel into the exhaust to help build BOOST (not just revs) during a launch. Dumping all that unburnt fuel into your cat will kill it.

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A CVT is belt driven...maybe thats the information you are missing/looking for? There are no gears just pulleys and a belt...and that belt has to have some stretch to it to allow for smooth operation...and it can be stretched out of specs if you exceed the parameters for which it was intended to be used....so no launching, no brake boosting, no flooring it from a dead stop...those are things car manufacturers assumed people don't do with a CVT car normally...I guess.
Sponsored