Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
You are probably talking about development independent of the MZR then. The L3-VDT was engineered by Mazda, and co-built globally by Mazda and Ford. But I'm willing to look at any literature suggesting otherwise.

You can shoot to me by PM if you wish, so as to not derail this thread too much. :)
Sponsored

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
You are probably talking about development independent of the MZR then. The L3-VDT was engineered by Mazda, and co-built globally by Mazda and Ford. But I'm willing to look at any literature suggesting otherwise.

You can shoot to me by PM if you wish, so as to not derail this thread too much. :)
It's very likely Mazda took what they were working on for the MZR to meet the goals Ford requested, but the discussion was definitely about the engines in the Mazdaspeed3/6. I'm not much of a mazda guy myself. I'll see if I can find the thread talking about it though.

biffosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Sport, 98 Civic Dx (turbo/Blown), 98 Civic Ex (Blown), 87 CRX HF, 94 F150 302
The 2.3 is pretty different from the 2.0 and definitely different from the MS3/6 engines. Think "next gen"...like xbone to 360. They sound similar in general, and have a lot of similar components, but overall the architecture is very different.

No word of any new trim for RS or any power bumps that I'm aware of...the ST will only get one when the next generation comes out. Dunno about the GTI but lord knows that engine has a reeeealy high horsepower ceiling.

The SI at around 230 hp would be a hoot. Priced under 27k base...maybe 26k...it would climb very close to the top of my list :yes:

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The 4th gen Focus is due early next year. Something Honda is tracking very closely. The MKVII is rumored to get an increase in power by its MMR next year. But that rumor came from an Auto Bild interview and may only apply to European spec Golfs. It's been confirmed that Mazda won't release another Mazdaspeed variant until they complete development of the next gen Skyactiv II, in order to meet aggressive emissions standards.

As we know, all of these developments influence Honda's decision on how they treat the Si and other trims.

pukemon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 DBP Civic SI
I know everybody is eager for moar horses but what about efficiency? Are the SI and and type r gonna push 40mpg hwy? 30mpg? Where are the rumblings about this?

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The 2.0T in the 9th Gen CTR (which is expected to carry over a similar config to the 10th Gen) gets around 23/32. I would expect the Si to get around 25/35ish. Maybe a little better.

I know a lot of folks are hoping to see the Si become mass produced and incorporate the DCT. But under current & upcoming CAFE regulations, I expect it will remain a niche trim.

biffosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Sport, 98 Civic Dx (turbo/Blown), 98 Civic Ex (Blown), 87 CRX HF, 94 F150 302
The 4th gen Focus is due early next year. Something Honda is tracking very closely. The MKVII is rumored to get an increase in power by its MMR next year. But that rumor came from an Auto Bild interview and may only apply to European spec Golfs. It's been confirmed that Mazda won't release another Mazdaspeed variant until they complete development of the next gen Skyactiv II, in order to meet aggressive emissions standards.

As we know, all of these developments influence Honda's decision on how they treat the Si and other trims.
Where'd you hear that? (just curious)

Mazda is definitely out of the game for the next few years as far as MS goes :'(

The MKVII should be pushing 300+ hp, it's not like the reliability will get any worse :stirthepot:

biffosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know everybody is eager for moar horses but what about efficiency? Are the SI and and type r gonna push 40mpg hwy? 30mpg? Where are the rumblings about this?
If you really want mpg you can just get the regular 1.5T in a manual, that said I think the SI should be getting at least in the 30's...the Type R maybe but more likely high 20's would be my guess.

asiandeity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Civic SI, 2017 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
My figures are after the calculations. Their website shows 30/46.
I've noticed that as well. I think they do their economy numbers on a Dyno but I could be wrong. Any chance in finding another vehicle that has an engine that matches one here? Maybe find specs for the 8th gen Si - that one is rated 22/29 as I recall.

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
I believe Autocar broke the news shortly after they released the MMR. There's also been rumblings from Irvine over the last few months.
I can believe it, Ford tries to hold to a ~5yr cycle. Usually, a 6th year if they are trying to milk the last out of a cars last generation, and overlap it with its replacement.

biffosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe Autocar broke the news shortly after they released the MMR. There's also been rumblings from Irvine over the last few months.
Thanks. I'm not working on that platform so I'm not sure when it's coming but I'm gonna find out haha

I can believe it, Ford tries to hold to a ~5yr cycle. Usually, a 6th year if they are trying to milk the last out of a cars last generation, and overlap it with its replacement.
This is generally true, but small-mid size cars have low profit margins so they will be stretched out (the platform) as long as possible these days...not just from Ford but all OEMs
Sponsored