0-120 mph: N/A
Street start, 5-60 mph: 6.4 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 8.8 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 8.4 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.7 sec @ 97 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 136 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 170 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.88 g
BTW, so people can understand the Si's slower 30-50 & 50-70, the Si was left in 5th gear for those tests. Automatic cars always do better because they shift to lower gears automatically. I really wish car mags would revise this and put the test car into a lower gear that would accommodate the speed range without shifting, they should use 2nd gear for 30-50 and 3rd gear for 50-70. These metrics always look bad for MT cars when mags test them this way.
Sponsored

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Probably a smidge slower than the outgoing Si when all is said and done.

One more thing... we really need to get out of the habit of saying the Si is getting a "detuned" version of the Type R motor. Almost everything except for the block and valve cover will likely be different.
Agreed.
It's lot like calling a GSR a detuned Integra TypeR. I mean the block and head casting are the same but after that...not much to share.

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic Si HFP, 2017 Golf R
The 5-60MPH rolling start is always a good indication of initial power. The Civic Si beat the 1.5T by 1.1sec in that category. Not surprising.

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
Agreed.
It's lot like calling a GSR a detuned Integra TypeR. I mean the block and head casting are the same but after that...not much to share.
In the case of the B18C1/B18C5, I do not believe the head was the same. In fact I'm fairly certain the C5 employs the B16A head. Granted, the two are very similar, but there's some key differences in the combustion chamber shape and port height relative to the deck.

nick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Civic, Passat
Damn that's a long wait. The Accord Coupe is looking mighty tempting right now.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think he's referring to external casting, which is mostly true. I think we all agree the internals are different.
Indeed.
I believe the casting is the same for all B series - just the 'final machining,' valves, cams, etc are what is different. That is why they're all basically interchangeable. Of course you can't put VTEC cams and LMA into a non-vtec head but the bolt pattern, oil returns, spark plug position etc are the same or quite similar.
As for the block - I seem to remember the b20 having a higher deck height but otherwise the same. Actually some of the bore dimensions are the same, just using different strokes to achieve the different displacements. The oil orifice restriction in the oil feed to the head that exists in the non-vtec block, as well as the lack of piston oil squirters, pretty much round out the differences there. I'm sure someone can correct me or add to this-

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I also thought it would be sooner. But the reports of pulling resources off other projects (including the Si) is what makes this believable. The 1.5T wasn't slated to launch until MY2018 to be shared with the new Accord.

10GCivicSi_Vs_5GPrelude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Honda Prelude
I'm not buying this timeframe...
LOL I like your spirit if you're rooting for earlier!! ....my '98 Prelude still runs pretty good but I'm a single man now and need a fresh new ride ('lude is rusting badly) for the ladies toute de suite, so I will be one unhappy guy if the Coupe Si shows up any later than June 2016.

...we know HPJ is generally "in the know", but I think it wasn't that long ago (a bit ahead of the Prod Coupe announcement, IIRC) that he had estimated a Mar 2016 debut for the Si, so his sources are not 100% reliable. Would be great if whoever from Civic X got this info from HPJ probed a little further, to give us a better sense of what it is based on and therefore how likely it is to be correct. that's also a huge range - Late Fall 2016 through Spring 2017 - wow!

RSXer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 RSX
LOL I like your spirit if you're rooting for earlier!! ....my '98 Prelude still runs pretty good but I'm a single man now and need a fresh new ride ('lude is rusting badly) for the ladies toute de suite, so I will be one unhappy guy if the Coupe Si shows up any later than June 2016.

...we know HPJ is generally "in the know", but I think it wasn't that long ago (a bit ahead of the Prod Coupe announcement, IIRC) that he had estimated a Mar 2016 debut for the Si, so his sources are not 100% reliable. Would be great if whoever from Civic X got this info from HPJ probed a little further, to give us a better sense of what it is based on and therefore how likely it is to be correct. that's also a huge range - Late Fall 2016 through Spring 2017 - wow!
Exactly. These are not official and not confirmed by anyone at Honda. It's his speculations as well. And that's a real big date range to hedge his bets against :)

I think I'm just hoping that the timing is wrong and it comes earlier, like Summer 2016.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Wow this thread is all over car scoops and bold ride right now. Also saying Si will be manual only. Come on honda si and type r manual only? Makes zero sense. Plenty of people would love to have a non cvt auto option!

NorCalRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Honda Civic Si Turbo, 2012 Vw Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2009Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4, 2001 Mazda Miata, 1963 Chevrolet Impala SS Wagon
Considering there has never been an auto Si. I find it highly unlikely that Honda will start now. The Si is not a high volume selling car. The costs associated with testing and the government regulations of adding an auto to the Si make it doubtful that it will happen. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the dct from the ilx added to the Si. I think it would be a fun car to drive, but in a manual transmission type of guy.
Sponsored