Compressor leak? Please Help

lemueljedc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Need some advice from you guys!

Back in JUNE OF 2020, I had my 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback serviced through Honda Hayward due to a "pierced" A/C Condenser. For some reason at the time, they said that the extended warranty for the AC Condensers did not apply to my civic, so I had to pay out of pocket, around $1500!

THIS MONTH (JUNE 2021), the A/C started acting up again, and for some reason, the driver side is now blowing hotter air while passenger side is still somewhat cold.

I was in Stockton California at the time so I did a walk in service and they diagnosed that the COMPRESSOR is broken and that it has to be replaced.
They were saying something about a leak, which is very weird considering the car is only 4 years old! They also said that they had double checked the VIN on my car and apparently it is now also covered by the extended warranty!

THEY QUOTED ME $2965.27 PLUS TAX!(see attachment)

they also told me to call honda care to see if I can get the reimbursement for the condenser which I already payed for.

I definitely did my research here at civicx; some got their service 100% covered, while some said honda corp payed for up to 90%. Some also had to pay out of pocket. Some said they'll only cover for the A/C Condenser, but not compressor or the leaks??

I REALLY DO NOT WANT TO PAY $2965.27 for a faulty compressor! for what I know, this could've all happened all the way from the time they had those problems with the A/C Condenser that gradually messed up the compressor! Paying last years' service and this one would mean I'm spending almost $5000 for A/C service in ONE YEAR on a car that's only 4 years old! it's ridiculous!

I have two other cars; 2001 Toyota Sequoia & a 2005 Dodge Caravan; NONE OF THEM HAVE HAD PROBLEMS with A/C besides the occational refriferant refill! no damage to the A/C Condenser or even the Compressor!

IF ANYONE CAN GIVE ME ADVICE AS TO ESCALATE THIS AND NOT PAY, PLEASE HELP!

****also, if anyone knows an honest dealership here in the BAY AREA in CALIFORNIA that could help me with this, I would really appreciate it!

Honda Civic 10th gen Compressor leak? Please Help Honda Stockton Quote for Compressor Service.JPG
Sponsored

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Sorry for you.

My small town A/C shop charge me $350 for a new condenser replacement with gas.
I never go to my dealer, I hate to throw my money over a window.

See a good a/c shop in your town, ask on Facebook

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
1.) It sounds like the condenser was not under warranty due to road damage, something kicked up and damaged the condenser. Pretty standard procedure here, just bad luck. Honda doesn't warranty road debris damage as it is not a manufacturer defect, in these cases we often file the proper insurance claim instead with the customer's insurance if they don't want to pay out of pocket. f

2.) The compressor. We were replacing these compressors like crazy all of last summer for "leaks". There was oil build up on the compressor clutch assembly. Honda actually came out with an internal memo that this oil leakage was normal in their eyes. I have done several repairs where the system would not hold vacuum until I replaced the "good, oil leaking" compressor. It probably needs the compressor assembly. I've found on the 10th gen civic, either the compressor, condenser, or evaporator behind the dash will leak at some time in the first 100k miles. They have a lot of issues.

3.)That being said, you do not need the clutch and coil if the compressor is leaking. Those parts can be reused and shimmed accordingly to work again. There's $450 saved right there. Rockauto has an aftermarket compressors from about $200-350 WITH clutch and coil. Dealers do not care if you supply your own parts, we do it all the time. I would buy the after market compressor, have the dealer install it with the proper r1234yf equipment and feel good knowing the dealer did the repair and you saved thousands.

OP
OP
lemueljedc

lemueljedc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
1.) It sounds like the condenser was not under warranty due to road damage, something kicked up and damaged the condenser. Pretty standard procedure here, just bad luck. Honda doesn't warranty road debris damage as it is not a manufacturer defect, in these cases we often file the proper insurance claim instead with the customer's insurance if they don't want to pay out of pocket. f

2.) The compressor. We were replacing these compressors like crazy all of last summer for "leaks". There was oil build up on the compressor clutch assembly. Honda actually came out with an internal memo that this oil leakage was normal in their eyes. I have done several repairs where the system would not hold vacuum until I replaced the "good, oil leaking" compressor. It probably needs the compressor assembly. I've found on the 10th gen civic, either the compressor, condenser, or evaporator behind the dash will leak at some time in the first 100k miles. They have a lot of issues.

3.)That being said, you do not need the clutch and coil if the compressor is leaking. Those parts can be reused and shimmed accordingly to work again. There's $450 saved right there. Rockauto has an aftermarket compressors from about $200-350 WITH clutch and coil. Dealers do not care if you supply your own parts, we do it all the time. I would buy the after market compressor, have the dealer install it with the proper r1234yf equipment and feel good knowing the dealer did the repair and you saved thousands.
Thanks for the detailed response! I really appreciate it!

Just called America Honda and we are working on a possible goodwill credit and reimbursement. I will update this post when I get more updates.

Friendofsonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Thanks for the detailed response! I really appreciate it!

Just called America Honda and we are working on a possible goodwill credit and reimbursement. I will update this post when I get more updates.
I am in contact with American Honda too and filed a request to review my Goodwill request for a compressor diagnosed as leaking for my 2016 Civic. I'll be curious when you're contacted. I filed my request on Monday, though I dealt with someone who made an odd statement: "So your last service visit was February 2020, so the car hasn't been serviced since then?" Uhh... no, we had the pandemic start so I started doing my own oil changes, keeping an eye on fluids, etc. I'm not even sure if she's somehow insinuating that the compressor has some preventive maintenance the service center would have executed on or what the deal was with stating that.
Sponsored