First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bought one 2 years ago based on the preceding post. Thanks for the recommendation though.

I coincidently cracked it open and added a second stick of ram to bring it up to dual channel 16GB this past weekend. The only downside I have with it thus far is its network card is not able to host its own network (can’t remember the proper term). It’s marginal for VR but it means it really is only able to do VR tethered vice being its own 5GHZ router and building a LAN for that purpose. Tethered VR is pretty awful… and it pretty much isn’t something I do. I might swap it out… but the variant of the 1060 it has is well down on power compare to my desktops admittedly long-in-the-tooth 1070 GTX that would be replaced with a 3070 RTX if I could find one for near MSRP. I’m not paying a grand for a midrange graphics card to some scalper.
Sponsored

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
you have to stalk bestbuy and office depot for a regular price 3070. We still have the chip shortage and because of the Crypto performance, The GPU demand will remain high.

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Given how little I’m home between deployments and boat-work… my 1070 GTX is getting almost no use. I’m just one of those every-other-generation/die shrink upgrade guys… so having a 1070 still makes me unhappy. It’s done surprisingly good for VR, but it definitely was breathing hard playing HL:Alyx when I tried making it look pretty. I’ve been to a few Best Buy’s but they rarely have them. I sort of went through something similar with the 1070 with all the crypto-stuff. I bought it randomly new for $299.99 on Amazon shortly before the 2XXX-series came out when it was twice that when you could find it at all for awhile. I’ve just got to keep on the look out. ?

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
MSI offers decent specs gaming laptop around $1300.

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sport S Max Tow
Country flag
Hi all - I’m going to treat myself to a new laptop dedicated to Zwifting this holiday season. There are many options online. What are your recommendations? My budget is around $1,300 so hoping to get a good Black Friday deal on something with high-end CPU & GPU specs and with a sensible vendor to offer good MSRP (here on the Priceva blog you can find a detailed article describing what it is).

I’ve had an iPad and an older HP laptop that have caused a lot of pain for me. Please don’t recommend Apple TV, a TV isn’t an option for my Zwift cave right now.

Thanks!!
I prefer Thinkpads. Lenovo offers a very good MSRP that is why the pricing policy is usually affordable compared to the competitors, my opinion.
Sponsored

Last edited: