Quintelope

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
When I have Waze running (haven't tested with Google Maps) on Android Auto and I put on my right turn signal to follow directions, Android Auto sees I'm not on the map screen and gives me a notification to turn. It gives me a notification tone and when I complete the turn and the camera shuts off, there's a visible notification. Seems like a major design oversight that every time you make a right hand turn to follow directions, the system thinks you're in another app and you need to be notified to do what you're already in the middle of doing. Anyone else experiencing this and anyone found a fix? I just bought the car and thought it was kind of a cute bug the first dozen times it happened but it's starting to get really annoying.
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
When I have Waze running (haven't tested with Google Maps) on Android Auto and I put on my right turn signal to follow directions, Android Auto sees I'm not on the map screen and gives me a notification to turn. It gives me a notification tone and when I complete the turn and the camera shuts off, there's a visible notification. Seems like a major design oversight that every time you make a right hand turn to follow directions, the system thinks you're in another app and you need to be notified to do what you're already in the middle of doing. Anyone else experiencing this and anyone found a fix? I just bought the car and thought it was kind of a cute bug the first dozen times it happened but it's starting to get really annoying.
Do you need to have the sideview camera to make right turns? If not, just disable it.

OP
OP

Quintelope

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Do you need to have the sideview camera to make right turns? If not, just disable it.
I'd rather not disable a lane change feature because of a turn annoyance. It seems like a massive oversight if there isn't a simple fix I'm missing.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I'd rather not disable a lane change feature because of a turn annoyance. It seems like a massive oversight if there isn't a simple fix I'm missing.
My experience with Android Auto is also annoyance. Lately, about 50% of the time, my Audio apps don't work.

Hellhound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
I can't speak to your problem specifically as I have Waze muted on apple carplay, but have you considered just manually triggering lanewatch when needed? I personally prefer it as it isn't always necessary for making right turns at stop signs or intersections. It may be a learning curve but it's muscle memory for me now and easy enough to do when I'm indicating anyway.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
What notification are you referring to? I use google maps a lot and never see any pop-up notifications. Could it be some notifications generated by Waze?

Unlike @calonzo's experience. AA worked great for me now. I went thru a few months of having to reboot my phone every morning before using Google maps. Now everything works every single time. Maybe the latest Android update fixed something.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
What notification are you referring to? I use google maps a lot and never see any pop-up notifications. Could it be some notifications generated by Waze?
When he makes the right turn, the display switches to the camera. I think he is saying that Waze then gives a pop up notification. But he doesn't see the popup notification, until it switches back to Waze.

I disagree that it is a major design flaw. But I can see that it is an annoyance.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
When he makes the right turn, the display switches to the camera. I think he is saying that Waze then gives a pop up notification. But he doesn't see the popup notification, until it switches back to Waze.

I disagree that it is a major design flaw. But I can see that it is an annoyance.
Oh right. I too have that complain if I need to see the map while making a right turn: like when I need to see which lane I need to be in to make the right turn. When in that situation, I just click the button at the end of the turn signal stalk to manually turn off the camera. Oh well, that's the pitfall of Lane Watch. That's why blind spot monitor is better.

OP
OP

Quintelope

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
This exactly. I'd rather not disable the camera. The whole point is to see in that blind spot that you thought was clear. If I have to trigger it manually I'll just never trigger it. Then the safety feature does me no good. I don't want to disable notifications and miss directions if I'm legitimately in another app. I just can't believe Honda put this feature on the same screen as AA and didn't think to somehow block it from triggering a notification.
Sponsored