L15B Engine Rebuilding Project [Confirmed] Development and Research Thread

Could Factory Block handle 2-3times factory boost?

• It will blow up you idiot!

• Possibly...... IDK

• It can handle what every you done to it, It's a Honda!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gazelle_392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mercedes S63 Cabriolet
So I was complaining about my L15B7 does not put out enough power. So I took my car and popped the hood and chat with some of my buddies who has tuning experience, which interestingly all of them have a subaru.. Instead of burning $20k trade in my car for a Type R, why not build myself a car that is better than Type R (L15B is lighter than that 2 liter in Type R, which is what you want in a front wheel drive vehicle). After 5 hours of eating, discussion I decided to treat this project as any school project I have to do. So basically this project is started, today.
So this is the L15B7:
Figure 1 - Front 45 Degree view of Honda L15B7 Engine
Honda Civic 10th gen L15B Engine Rebuilding Project [Confirmed] Development and Research Thread civic-2016-engine_L15B7

Which is very easy to see that how far the air has to travel before hit the intake manifold, and also how many emission junk is there to destroy the reliability, longevity and performance (F**k EPA, 2 hell)
Also the exhaust manifold in this engine is built inside the header.... same as the Ecobullshit 2.3T in my Focus RS>.

Some initial planning and ideas:
1. Using a water- air inter-cooler to reduce the distance of air travel before get in intake manifold.
2. Using water methanol injection system to reduce the inlet air temp, which can be done in a OEM style since Canadian spec and US spec has their washer fluid bottle on the opposite, I am able to order a US washer fluid bottle for my water methanol blend tank.
Link for a sample water methanol injection system:
http://www.aemelectronics.com/?q=pr...ion-kit-for-forced-induction-gasoline-engines
3. Replacement Turbo, Garrett GTX2860R GEN II is the turbo charger we have been looking into today, this is a small light weight turbo can handle significant amount of boost, also fixed the awkward position of the exhaust gas outlet and compressed air outlet, this will require a custom adapter since the exhaust manifold is built in to the engine head.
Link for the turbocharger: https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/turbochargers/gtx2860r-gen-ii
4. Individual throttle body and custom intake manifold is required. I have a buddy have a custom build sheet metal intake manifold in his STI, there are a lot of individual throttle body manifold kit available so this should be a easy fabrication job.
Figure 2 - Sample of similar I-4 configuration individual throttle body manifold:
Honda Civic 10th gen L15B Engine Rebuilding Project [Confirmed] Development and Research Thread $_35

5. Re-positioning of the air filter box, we all agree that there is a unused section of grill located on the passenger side bumper (the one with foglight), it is easy to intake air from there and send right to the turbo since that is the shortest route air has to take and considerably cooler than the OEM position or other cold air intake position (No cold air intake manufacture use this position because the OEM inter-cooler piping is used up the tiny space to access that area.
Figure 3 - AEM's solution for Cold Air Intake in a 2017 Civic with L15B7 Engine
Honda Civic 10th gen L15B Engine Rebuilding Project [Confirmed] Development and Research Thread AEM-21-798C_Eng_1024x1024

This is the paper I am working on, expecting to be done in couple months, also I am try to get to know someone who knows about fabrication. The only thing we are concerned about is the strength of the block, but I can imagine there must be build block available later which could be a 1.6L stroker kit or a stronger block to compensate double the boost pressure than what factory tune did(16.8PSI).

Honda Civic 10th gen L15B Engine Rebuilding Project [Confirmed] Development and Research Thread Screenshot from 2017-06-08 18-44-22

This thread will be constantly update and there will not be a full car track build before this project is put into real world test. Project duration expected 16-18 months.

**updates** A not so accurate computer simulation for the build we are doing. expected 220-240 lbft torque, and 305hp maximum (Although simulation suggested we are able to crank more hp out of this, it will require higher rpm), If we tune our engine like this it could have a very similar feeling of vtec kick in but at a very lower rpm, for daily driving around 2000-3500rpm the turbo will not spoof up a lot and provided with limited amount of torque so the gas mileage will not be too bad. This simulation has been done with aluminum head and block + forged crank shaft, piston and rods, on 94 octane pump gas and running 14 psi boost.
Figure 4 - Expected Performance Chart
Honda Civic 10th gen L15B Engine Rebuilding Project [Confirmed] Development and Research Thread IMG_7941.JPG

Also since L15 is a widely used platform which has 2 major technology available, i-DSI which means intelligent Dual & Sequential Ignition, which means we are able to get factory parts for dual spark plug support, also there is vtec available on L15A will have to look in to that to see if we are able to get the hard ware fitted and the aftermarket ECU to work. Ideal condition this engine with VVL (Which is essentially +VVT = VTEC), it can delivery 15-25 lbft more torque and 5-10 more hp at higher rpm.

2017 June 9
Try to figure out how to put everything together.....
This is how a stock L15B heads looks like..
Figure 5 - Components of Cylinder heads of L15B7
Honda Civic 10th gen L15B Engine Rebuilding Project [Confirmed] Development and Research Thread Cylinder Head

Clearly that the exhaust manifold is located inside the heads in the front section of the heads. This could be an serious concern since the integrated exhaust manifold has a restricted space for air flow so It can affect the performance. Best case scenario some minor trimming is needed, Worst case scenario we need to find a replacement or get a build head, which can be quite costly..

There are awful a lot of space under the hood when the stupid factory air box and battery is gone. Since I gonna use run flats for daily driving situation and will carrying spares for a racing condition, there is no need for a compact size spare in my trunk, it will be replaced with two light weight battery, Canadian spec car does not feature an Auto start/stop function but still has that bulky battery........

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gazelle_392

Gazelle_392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some updates for you guys:
1. Turbo selection:
2 option to pick from. Either GTX2860R GEN II or GTX2867R GEN II Turbocharger, both of them will make this engine a high rev high output engine, this is probably the largest turbocharger you can put on this engine.
Honda Civic 10th gen L15B Engine Rebuilding Project [Confirmed] Development and Research Thread GARRETT-GTX28-GARVBSE-1

2. Since the battery and the air box are long gone, an air-water intercooler will be in that place.
Honda Civic 10th gen L15B Engine Rebuilding Project [Confirmed] Development and Research Thread type15

3. NOS or Water Meth
Could use both system, water meth will handle daily driving, NOS can be used during some serious race.
4. individual throttle body
This is so east, we need a custom manifold then take part some K20 aftermarket parts, modify it and custom make a intake manifold (which does not matter since individual throttle body is used.)
5. Exhaust System
There will be a high flow cat, after that is just straight pipe + maybe a straight through muffler.

With all these this could easily make more horsepower at wheel than a stock Type R or STI.

Power means nothing here, my local shop is looking for a solution to see if they are able to fit a set of TEIN shocks in there, also there will soon be a powered driver seat for sale since I am going with roll cage and racing seat with harness. Just the driver seat thou.... Sport Touring Hood and bumper will be on sale very soon. The most annoying thing is these parts I need is either not available for the hatchback or it need time to order or getting shipped. Stay tuned since things is start to getting seriously.

I will keep my car, once everything is done, shouldn't be any more complains.

OP
OP
Gazelle_392

Gazelle_392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These is some example for my cage set up..
Honda Civic 10th gen L15B Engine Rebuilding Project [Confirmed] Development and Research Thread Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 11.15.40 PM
Honda Civic 10th gen L15B Engine Rebuilding Project [Confirmed] Development and Research Thread Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 11.15.59 PM

still going to keep my rear seat.
Sparco seats just for driver, with 8 point harness.

LSD + Tein adjustable + rollcage, there won't be any issue with handling either, we heard AP racing will make some 6 pistons for this car. Just have to wait. So driver seat is basically brand new powered, heated, and it will be for sale, you guys who wants an powered leather seat for your sport you guys can count on me.

**If the price of those brambos which the Type R come with is priced reasonable, I might just use those,

Last edited:

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You just said in another thread you are selling this for a Type R so which is it?

DevilDoc8542

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R Polished Metal Metallic #9206, 2018 Ford F 150 Raptor Lead Foot Gray
I wish you luck on your project. Look forward to following this thread.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
ITB.... If anything just go with a larger TB but first establish it is a limiting factor.

Air to water intercooler adds a significant amount of weight and cost which is why they are rarely seen.

Turbo upgrade is a good idea but comparing the onset of boost to VTEC is lame. VTEC typically activated in higher rpms. A small engine is going to have a generally small turbo which will spool in the mid to low range. Hell maybe going with a larger turbo is a good idea as it shifts the torque band to an arguably safer area later in the rev range.

That graph show's over 100 nm of torque just after 1000rpm... Magic?

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
following, Best of luck and I hope I will see a 400hp+ beast down the road. Might as well do a custom AWD conversion.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Somebody built a 380 hp 1.5 in china, of course with forged internals and upgraded turbo.

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
Oh dear, not this dumbass kid's thread again lol. Lets let it die

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh dear, not this dumbass kid's thread again lol. Lets let it die
we must keep it alive! Considering we are already past those number with stock turbo and bolt ons, this would have been massive waste of money and resources lol

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
So did this not end up happening :(
No it didn’t happen. This kid was whacked up on Ritalin when he posted this hypothetical b.s.

Hopefully he found a girlfriend and started putting this much hypothetical effort into getting laid because frankly he sounds like he still has his V-card

N-Kryptic

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si 4 Door
Country flag
I'd just like to point out that those simulated "dyno" results are from a pc game called "Automation The Car Company Tycoon" lmao
Sponsored