KW Coilovers on an SI

LampRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Does anyone have KW coilovers on an SI? I have seen a few websites that have KW coilovers that claim to fit an FC civic si. If im not mistaken I have not seen any Si's with KW's. Part number 35250034 is the item in question.
Sponsored

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does anyone have KW coilovers on an SI? I have seen a few websites that have KW coilovers that claim to fit an FC civic si. If im not mistaken I have not seen any Si's with KW's. Part number 35250034 is the item in question.

I took a look at KW website germany and they also list this part number for the Civic SI .
(Its the KW V3)

But they also say this :
  • Height adjustable front and rear axles (front axle threaded strut housings, rear axle adjustable springs + dampers)
  • Not for cars with electronic damping
  • Dampers are adjusted by easily operating adjustment wheels. Rebound is only adjustable if the top of the piston rod is accessible. This will depend on the vehicle construction.
So i don't think this will work for the SI since it has electronic damping.

OP
OP
LampRod

LampRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I took a look at KW website germany and they also list this part number for the Civic SI .
(Its the KW V3)

But they also say this :
  • Height adjustable front and rear axles (front axle threaded strut housings, rear axle adjustable springs + dampers)
  • Not for cars with electronic damping
  • Dampers are adjusted by easily operating adjustment wheels. Rebound is only adjustable if the top of the piston rod is accessible. This will depend on the vehicle construction.
So i don't think this will work for the SI since it has electronic damping.
That's what I was looking at also, German Civics are probably different in someway. The business I work for has a lot of German connections so I asked them to look into it and will get back with me soon. If they are certain they will work I will try to get them and see how they are. Like I mentioned I have not seen anyone run KW's on an SI. All I know is that ST suspension has a kit that will fit and they are a sister company to KW.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's what I was looking at also, German Civics are probably different in someway. The business I work for has a lot of German connections so I asked them to look into it and will get back with me soon. If they are certain they will work I will try to get them and see how they are. Like I mentioned I have not seen anyone run KW's on an SI. All I know is that ST suspension has a kit that will fit and they are a sister company to KW.
The ST kit also is not made for electronic damping .Those should have a electronic damping delete kit or something.
In Europe only the sport hatch has electronic dampers.​

Zodd

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic sport 1.5t 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
KW bought the ST, ST now uses KW technology to make entry level coilovers, same technology but not so good materials... i have ST X coilovers on sport hatch and i like them alot...

BoostinIX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan
Country flag
FYSA - saying it won't work with electronic dampening, I.E. the SI is half true.

They won't function/auto-adjust with the SI system. So you'll have an error light. Tein and others make cancellers for this that trick the system into thinking it's fine.

OP
OP
LampRod

LampRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Update: After talking with some people they have confirmed that it will fit an SI. This would be a KW V3. I still am hesitant because if it does not fit I will have no way of returning the item. I gave them my VIN # and they will be contacting KW directly to be 100% certain if this will work or not. If I do not get a definitive answer I will pass on the purchase.

KingOfBrussels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Si sedan
Country flag
What are you trying to accomplish by going with the coilovers? The stock Si adaptive dampers are pretty great and continue to be great when paired with a linear rate spring with a moderate drop, i.e. Whiteline or Swift.

OP
OP
LampRod

LampRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
What are you trying to accomplish by going with the coilovers? The stock Si adaptive dampers are pretty great and continue to be great when paired with a linear rate spring with a moderate drop, i.e. Whiteline or Swift.
Very true that was my intention at first because I thought no high-end coilover was made for the SI's. The only companies that I would go with are fortune auto, KW or Ohlin's. You can argue that KW makes some of the best coilovers and I believe it will easily outperform lowering springs. It also gives that extra amount of adjustability and I get a crazy discount on them If I do go with KW so that's a plus.

BKDEN

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
KW bought the ST, ST now uses KW technology to make entry level coilovers, same technology but not so good materials... i have ST X coilovers on sport hatch and i like them alot...
In my opinion, ST X coilovers are by far the best quality for the price (without getting into the vairant 3’s, etc). The only real difference between KWs and ST is the galvanized steel rather than stainless steel for the struts.

BoostinIX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan
Country flag
Fortune makes coils for these too. So does HKS and a bunch of others. Any will work similarly enough for DD use.

KingOfBrussels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Si sedan
Country flag
Very true that was my intention at first because I thought no high-end coilover was made for the SI's. The only companies that I would go with are fortune auto, KW or Ohlin's. You can argue that KW makes some of the best coilovers and I believe it will easily outperform lowering springs. It also gives that extra amount of adjustability and I get a crazy discount on them If I do go with KW so that's a plus.
Springs are as good or bad as the shocks they're paired with. Whether they're lowering springs or coilovers, the shocks are what's important. Lowering springs paired with good shocks can be better than coilovers that have bad shocks.

The Si adaptive dampers are excellent. They continuously adjust on the fly to changing driving conditions. It's not just 2 different stiffness levels in normal and sport modes. None of the coilovers out there interface with this adaptive damping, they're all mechanical only and you need to run error cancellers to make the warning light go away.

As long as you stick to a lowering spring that doesn't take away too much suspension travel from excessive lowering, the stock adaptive dampers are extremely capable. Slap on a rear sway bar upgrade with those springs, take care of the alignment with some camber kits, and it's a solid overall setup.

So...what are you trying to accomplish that what I described above can't? Why spend $2k+ on the coilover brands you mentioned?

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I believe Keiichi Tsuchiya said the KW coilovers on the 10th gen type R (fk8) was the best suspension setup fk8 he had driven .He had tested the Spoon fk8 demo car (spoon now uses KW for their coilovers.)So kw V3 is a very good coilover setup ,but as others allready said for a DD car you would have enough with less. ( ST for example)

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
KW V3s will also most likely be very stiff, so if your plan for the car is not 70% track, keep your adaptive dampers and use a good set of drop springs. They are a very high quality coil-over with crazy adjustability but again, if you're not at the track once or twice a week, not worth it IMO. You have a very good damper on the car that adjusts itself, keep it as long as you can, it'll work good on track with stiffer springs.

spend the money you save on sway bars, links, camber kit, etc and it'll end up handling better cash for cash.

OP
OP
LampRod

LampRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I do plan to track the car, I don't think ill mind the stiffness I want it be way stiffer than stock. I also plan to do the sway bars ETC. The only reason why I am considering these is because of the discount I get from work, if I had to spend over 2 grand I wouldn't. This thread wasn't about whether or not to get coils it was if anyone has KW's. I don't mind I appreciate the inputs and recommendations. Still have yet to get news from Germany about fitment probably next week ill be given a definitive answer.
Sponsored