First Name
Panos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2019 sedan, non-Si
Country flag
Hello,
I am tuned with ktuner for a year now. I'm still under factory guarantee, so everytime I visit the dealer for a service, I flash my ECU back to stock and even swap my intake just to be sure! On my recent trip for the annual service, they updated the stock ecu to a more recent (?) version. I can tell it is different cause my start-stop functions a bit different/better and I can now see the code of the service to come (it used to warn me just with a "service due soon" before)...
MY QUESTION is: After I flash my tune again, will ktuner keep the new "flash back to stock" or it will keep the old original version of my ECU from back when I first tuned the car??? If so how can I get it to keep the new version as stock? There should be a better way other than unlock it from the car and lock it again... (not sure even if that works)
Sponsored

EarthDreams414

First Name
⛄️
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Honest question here:
How come you can tune your car and swap your intake back and forth but need to take your car to the dealer for a oil change/service? Wouldn't it be easier to just do it yourself instead of dicking around with swapping

OP
OP
panas

panas

First Name
Panos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honest question here:
How come you can tune your car and swap your intake back and forth but need to take your car to the dealer for a oil change/service? Wouldn't it be easier to just do it yourself instead of dicking around with swapping
You void your guarantee if you don't keep your dealer service appointments, which is exactly what I'm trying not to. Sure I can change the oil myself and I do change between dealer services to help my oil dilution..

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag

OP
OP
panas

panas

First Name
Panos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Unlock the unit completely while your car is stock still on that new factory version. Then re lock it and it’ll upload the new stock tune you have now as factory on the device.
Yes, this was my first thought but have you done something similar? I'm afraid it'll flash the old stock tune first in order to unlock, as the old one is what my ktuner device considers as stock...

OP
OP
panas

panas

First Name
Panos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Unlock the unit completely while your car is stock still on that new factory version. Then re lock it and it’ll upload the new stock tune you have now as factory on the device.
Today I tried this as it looked like my only option. The unlock option was not available. My Ktuner unit "thinks" I am not stock now, so it'll only let me unlock after I flash the stock tune it has saved from when it locked on my ECU.
So I still need HELP if anyone knows the solution!

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag

Old F@rt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, 2016 Z51 Stingray, 2006 Tundra
Country flag
You void your guarantee if you don't keep your dealer service appointments, which is exactly what I'm trying not to. Sure I can change the oil myself and I do change between dealer services to help my oil dilution..
Honestly never heard of factory warranty being voided for not using Dealership for scheduled maintenance. With that logic, you've possibly voided your warranty by doing oil changes between Dealer services. Between Wifey & myself we've purchased 2 new Corvettes & my Si. I do sevice work myself & have only ever been told to keep any DIY service receipts just incase. If your car has to go in for any major warranty work, they will see ECU has been flashed multiple times & may then start asking questions. Just my 2ct

OP
OP
panas

panas

First Name
Panos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honestly never heard of factory warranty being voided for not using Dealership for scheduled maintenance. With that logic, you've possibly voided your warranty by doing oil changes between Dealer services. Between Wifey & myself we've purchased 2 new Corvettes & my Si. I do sevice work myself & have only ever been told to keep any DIY service receipts just incase. If your car has to go in for any major warranty work, they will see ECU has been flashed multiple times & may then start asking questions. Just my 2ct
Thank you for your answer.
On your first point, i honestly don't understand why it seems so weird. We live in a different country, even a different continent! In Greece the guarantee's terms&conditions clearly state that in order for the guarantee to be valid, you have to service your car on an official Honda dealer or workshop. So how are they gonna know if you have done ANY oil change? Anyone could get oil receipts, not change the oil and sell the oil&parts back to someone else, saying he did an oil change himself. I can't blame them on having this rule.. And it's not a Honda dealer thing either, every brand's guarantee has such terms here.. About the extra oil change in the middle, i would have to tell them, so they would know!!!
On the second matter, i bought my car brand new in 2019 and wanted to tune it from month 3 (that's mostly civicx.com fault :p)! I only did it last year because i was sooo skeptical about what you said. After days and months of research and after talking in person with 2 respectable Honda tuners, my opinion is that practically they could never be sure i ever flashed my ECU unless i tell them. Info on the web was controversial but the tuners were both betting their license that the only way a dealer could tell if you have flashed, is to take out your ECU and send it to Honda headquarters (few spots around the world) where they could do a "forensics" kind of thing to tell if it was flashed. This is something that could never practically happen, not even within a law suit...
Everyone is of course entitled to his opinion and may believe whatever he/she likes..

Last edited:

Old F@rt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, 2016 Z51 Stingray, 2006 Tundra
Country flag
Thank you for your answer.
On your first point, i honestly don't understand why it seems so weird. We live in a different country, even a different continent! In Greece the guarantee's terms&conditions clearly state that in order for the guarantee to be valid, you have to service your car on an official Honda dealer or workshop. So how are they gonna know if you have done ANY oil change? Anyone could get oil receipts, not change the oil and sell the oil&parts back to someone else, saying he did an oil change himself. I can't blame them on having this rule.. And it's not a Honda dealer thing either, every brand's guarantee has such terms here.. About the extra oil change in the middle, i would have to tell them, so they would know!!!
On the second matter, i bought my car brand new in 2019 and wanted to tune it from month 3 (that's mostly civicx.com fault :p)! I only did it last year because i was sooo skeptical about what you said. After days and months of research and after talking in person with 2 respectable Honda tuners, my opinion is that practically they could never be sure i ever flashed my ECU unless i tell them. Info on the web was controversial but the tuners were both betting their license that the only way a dealer could tell if you have flashed, is to take out your ECU and send it to Honda headquarters (few spots around the world) where the could do a "forensics" kind of thing to tell if it was flashed. This is something that could never practically happen, not even within a law suit...
Everyone is of course entitled to his opinion and may believe whatever he/she likes..

My bad, didn't see you're in Greece until just now. Ignore everything I said, as I was basing it on US ( Note to self: look for flag in top right corner when using phone in future). Apologies.

OP
OP
panas

panas

First Name
Panos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just updating on this for other members to know. Although Ktuner customer service was eager to help me unlock my unit from the new updated software, my actual problem is something that can't be solved... From what i understood, the stock tune is in fact built-in the Ktuner unit, so whenever you "flash factory" you will get the same 2016(?) honda tune. The factory tune cannot be replaced within Ktuner unit/account so if you're planning to flash a tune, any dealer updated honda tune goes down the drain.. :(

Last edited:

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's kinda dumb. They should have some way to get factory updates sent to them when they are released or allow the ECU parameters on the ECU, when it is flashed, to be uploaded to the unit the way COBB does.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
From what i understood, the stock tune is in fact built-in the Ktuner unit, so whenever you "flash factory" you will get the same 2016(?) honda tune.
That doesn't sound right. My understanding is that all current supported factory software is built into the KTuner software (not the KTuner unit) and you wouldn't just be flashing a generic 2016 Honda factory tune.

OP
OP
panas

panas

First Name
Panos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That doesn't sound right. My understanding is that all current supported factory software is built into the KTuner software (not the KTuner unit) and you wouldn't just be flashing a generic 2016 Honda factory tune.
Yeah, I know! I was shocked too but it's true and I kept our whole email conversation on this.. At first, they asked me to do some stuff, so that they can get their hands on my new updated oem tune and I thought we were on the right track. It turns out all they could do was to include my new oem version to ktuner's next updated version, so that I and anyone else that gets this Honda version, can unlock ktuner unit from their ECU (cause now ktuner also recognises this version as oem, while before it wouldn't let me unlock). Customer service clearly told me that the factory tune is built-in the unit/software and if I wanted to keep this factory tune I MUST NOT FLASH any other tune... Sad .. Of course after all the effort, I flashed my custom tune back, bye-bye Honda update and back to my old problems (like start-stop not working properly). It is an unfortunate compromise we have to make.. From what I understand it affects all people with an updated oem tune like the oil dilution fix etc..
Sponsored