KTuner w/ TSP stage 1, newbie perspective

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
What clutch are you using? It looks like getting a new clutch is something I should be saving up for cause it'll will happen sooner or later. I heard clutch masters are all over the board with some users regretting getting it from them to others saying it was fine. I'm really hoping to get one that's as smooth as the OEM cause this car is my daily
i got a cm 300. it took some getting used to for leaving the line but is only slightly firmer than stock. holds much more power and is comfortable for my daily.
if you want stock engagement then you need the type r conversion some guy is doing. if, like me, you need it for less than the price of a small house then the cm works good with a little getting used to.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Voitage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2017
Country flag
i got a cm 300. it took some getting used to for leaving the line but is only slightly firmer than stock. holds much more power and is comfortable for my daily.
if you want stock engagement then you need the type r conversion some guy is doing. if, like me, you need it for less than the price of a small house then the cm works good with a little getting used to.
I'll definitely be looking into the cm 300 then but seeing as you have the tsp stage 1. I have no idea if it uploaded to my car or not. I got the file from tsp (it's a .kcl) have it saved, but when I open it I keep getting this
Honda Civic 10th gen KTuner w/ TSP stage 1, newbie perspective 44D13BF0-3130-49FF-BDDD-64A8CC75409F
Also when I upload the tsps1, should the main window say new file or the tsp file?

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I'll definitely be looking into the cm 300 then but seeing as you have the tsp stage 1. I have no idea if it uploaded to my car or not. I got the file from tsp (it's a .kcl) have it saved, but when I open it I keep getting this
44D13BF0-3130-49FF-BDDD-64A8CC75409F.jpeg
Also when I upload the tsps1, should the main window say new file or the tsp file?
message is normal. ignore it. it just means they locked you out of some settings so you cannot see the magic they slipped in there.

make sure you upliad the tune to the ecu. not just to ktuner.
you will know if it lights up the christmas tree on the dash that its doing its thing.

OP
OP

Voitage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2017
Country flag
message is normal. ignore it. it just means they locked you out of some settings so you cannot see the magic they slipped in there.

make sure you upliad the tune to the ecu. not just to ktuner.
you will know if it lights up the christmas tree on the dash that its doing its thing.
Yeah I know something was happening because I got my car flashing all types of light, I guess I was wondering if there was a way to ensure you're uploading the tsp tune and not the ones that come with k tuner.. Because the first time I did it, the main window said new file, the second time I'm doing it (which is right now) it says
Honda Civic 10th gen KTuner w/ TSP stage 1, newbie perspective EC47A848-FD5C-4261-A5A5-0D8FC2EE64FF
I think after its done flashing, I'll be good to go.

rhuel

First Name
Rhuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
5. You need a computer if you're getting the V1.2.
Great list, I was reading yours and comparing to what I had listed and yours is pretty much the same as mine.

Regarding the requirement for Windows... I have no native Windows boxes in my house - 3 MacBook Pros and two laptops running *NIX distros. I do have VMware Fusion with Windows 7 and another with Windows 10, but not sure if the virtual hardware would be compatible with the Ktuner hardware/software.

Has anyone used a VMWare instance of Windows?

Were you able to verify if it loaded properly after the last screenshot?

Thanks!

PS: I recommend to anyone reading this thread to read (not skim, but take the time to read all of the posts) this: https://www.civicx.com/threads/joined-the-ktuner-world.34484

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
Do any of you have access to flex fuel and have you considered going flex tune?

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
Hello my fellow Si Owners,

I just installed the Cobra CAI Street Version (first mod) after much research and I absolutely love it. I find myself sometimes driving with no music just to be able to hear that sweet turbo spool, but its making me want to even dive deeper into modding. After some browsing, I feel like the next step is to tune my car and from my understanding, the TSP Stage 1 tuner is the best bang for buck. I'm at 20k miles with the car, so I don't have to worry about breaking it in. I'm writing this because I'm literally on the fence and would need advise, information, etc. This is what I know so far.
***Please correct me if im wrong on anything

1. Ktuner is program that "unlocks" your car and changes the way your engine behaves with all its sensors (rev hang disable, more boost, throttle response etc.)
2. They are different tunes that change different variables in your car to make such changes. TSP has one of these preset tunes that's been well received.
3. TSP Stage 1 is a tune that does not need any other modifications as it runs well with the stock 2017 Si, but you may experience clutch slipping if you're flooring it on your overdrive gears (5th, 6th)
4. You should look into a better clutch if you're gonna use higher level stages.
5. You need a computer if you're getting the V1.2.
6. The tune has two modes (dual settings) with one being active on normal mode, and the other activating when put into sport mode. The difference being more turbo (?)
7. If you don't know what you're doing, DO NOT mess with customizing the tune. Just use either the basemaps or other tunes such as TSP Stage 1.
8. The V2 Ktuner brings a monitor that lets you change tunes on the go.
9. You don't need the actual hardware in the car with you at all, just that the car will always reset to stage 1 when turning it off.
10. Ultimately, honda basically chose reliability over "fun" and left enough room for the car to be tuned up without needing to buy bolt ons or other mods.
11. If you need to go to the dealer, just flash it back to stock.
12.TSP Stage 1 has 3 maps. 1st map = Stock and Enhanced performance, 2nd = better 3 = best but not good if you don't want to upgrade your stock clutch
13. Best run 93 octane
14. You can switch between maps 1 2 and 3 using cruise control buttons, (theres a vid on it in youtube)
15. Best bang for back

This a list of notes I took while researching and hope it's useful to those who are newbies like me and may be deciding on getting the TSP stage 1 tune and Ktuner.
I do have a couple of questions though and hope someone can help me put.

1. What exactly is Knock control? is that an issues with tuning?
2. What's tunerview? is that related to hacking the head unit on honda?
3. I keep seeing +3, +6, and I think that has to do with PSI. is it related to the Ktuner base maps?
4. I think I read that macs can't upload the tuner and you will need a windows computer. is that true?
Thank you for this

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
Holy crap
Someone finally did proper research. Bravo.

Many of us are on TSP Stg1 and use map 3 often without clutch issues.

I agree with most of the response above except about bootcamp. I have a MBP and bootcamp has SERIOUS issues with both hondata and ktuner repeatedly dropping the connection. Get a cheap Dell for a few hundred bucks used or doible that new.

TLDR get ktuner from TSP with their Stg 1 map. Use a windows laptop to install it. Downshift to 4th or below if you are on the highway and want to go faster.

Welcome to the forum. Links in my sig have info on BOV and why it doesn't belong on your car.
Dang I was planning on using my Windows partition on my MBP I guess not anymore lol

AVR

First Name
Alexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan, 2014 Pathfinder
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have being using TSP for about a week, a combination of all 3 maps as I try to find what is better for my commute. Still a little scare or cautious since I want my car to last. I have seen my knock level act perfectly stays between .49 and .51. So far I like map 1 more since in map 2 while I am cruising sometimes I feel the car choke a little bit when I hit the gas, I don't hit it too hard eather. Don't remember I think it was map 3, I saw it go to 25 PSI Hopefully that's not much for this engine or turbo. Do anyone knows the exact difference on the PSI between maps and sport mode?
Sponsored

Last edited: