KTuner w/ TSP stage 1, newbie perspective

Voitage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2017
Country flag
Hello my fellow Si Owners,

I just installed the Cobra CAI Street Version (first mod) after much research and I absolutely love it. I find myself sometimes driving with no music just to be able to hear that sweet turbo spool, but its making me want to even dive deeper into modding. After some browsing, I feel like the next step is to tune my car and from my understanding, the TSP Stage 1 tuner is the best bang for buck. I'm at 20k miles with the car, so I don't have to worry about breaking it in. I'm writing this because I'm literally on the fence and would need advise, information, etc. This is what I know so far.
***Please correct me if im wrong on anything

1. Ktuner is program that "unlocks" your car and changes the way your engine behaves with all its sensors (rev hang disable, more boost, throttle response etc.)
2. They are different tunes that change different variables in your car to make such changes. TSP has one of these preset tunes that's been well received.
3. TSP Stage 1 is a tune that does not need any other modifications as it runs well with the stock 2017 Si, but you may experience clutch slipping if you're flooring it on your overdrive gears (5th, 6th)
4. You should look into a better clutch if you're gonna use higher level stages.
5. You need a computer if you're getting the V1.2.
6. The tune has two modes (dual settings) with one being active on normal mode, and the other activating when put into sport mode. The difference being more turbo (?)
7. If you don't know what you're doing, DO NOT mess with customizing the tune. Just use either the basemaps or other tunes such as TSP Stage 1.
8. The V2 Ktuner brings a monitor that lets you change tunes on the go.
9. You don't need the actual hardware in the car with you at all, just that the car will always reset to stage 1 when turning it off.
10. Ultimately, honda basically chose reliability over "fun" and left enough room for the car to be tuned up without needing to buy bolt ons or other mods.
11. If you need to go to the dealer, just flash it back to stock.
12.TSP Stage 1 has 3 maps. 1st map = Stock and Enhanced performance, 2nd = better 3 = best but not good if you don't want to upgrade your stock clutch
13. Best run 93 octane
14. You can switch between maps 1 2 and 3 using cruise control buttons, (theres a vid on it in youtube)
15. Best bang for back

This a list of notes I took while researching and hope it's useful to those who are newbies like me and may be deciding on getting the TSP stage 1 tune and Ktuner.
I do have a couple of questions though and hope someone can help me put.

1. What exactly is Knock control? is that an issues with tuning?
2. What's tunerview? is that related to hacking the head unit on honda?
3. I keep seeing +3, +6, and I think that has to do with PSI. is it related to the Ktuner base maps?
4. I think I read that macs can't upload the tuner and you will need a windows computer. is that true?
Sponsored

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Holy crap
Someone finally did proper research. Bravo.

Many of us are on TSP Stg1 and use map 3 often without clutch issues.

I agree with most of the response above except about bootcamp. I have a MBP and bootcamp has SERIOUS issues with both hondata and ktuner repeatedly dropping the connection. Get a cheap Dell for a few hundred bucks used or doible that new.

TLDR get ktuner from TSP with their Stg 1 map. Use a windows laptop to install it. Downshift to 4th or below if you are on the highway and want to go faster.

Welcome to the forum. Links in my sig have info on BOV and why it doesn't belong on your car.

OP
OP

Voitage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2017
Country flag
1. I'll let someone who can better explain it answer that one, but basically it has to do with excess combustion within the cylinder
2. Tunerview is an app that can be downloaded onto a device (such as android tablet) or on a hacked headunit to view various engine, fuel, intake/air parameters in real time/ datalog. It's a cool/ useful app and for someone looking to save some money, it makes the V1.2 more appealing than the V2.
3. That has to do with lbs of boost, specifically Hondata, which has settings "maps" that you can switch to (+6 being the more enhanced setting- more boost potential)
4. You don't need a windows computer, but you'll have to use Bootcamp or Parallels to download/access Windows in order to run the KTuner software.

Not that there's a need for any more positive posts about KTuner experiences, but I'll give one more. I just got a KTuner/ TSP Stage 1 tune and it undoubtedly changes the driving experience for the better. Even if you kept it on TSP map 1 for rev hang etc, it is much better than stock. The shifting becomes 10x smoother and more enjoyable. I keep my KTuner V1.2 in the OBD port at all times to keep Map 2 active upon start up, but you can also get TSP to customize the order in which the maps present when using cruise control (ie. Map 2 would be first in line). Upon initial impression, I highly recommend getting a KTuner and TSP tune for cost effectiveness, performance and enjoyability.
I actually brought one as soon as I posted this and you only cemented my decision even more.

Holy crap
Someone finally did proper research. Bravo.

Many of us are on TSP Stg1 and use map 3 often without clutch issues.

I agree with most of the response above except about bootcamp. I have a MBP and bootcamp has SERIOUS issues with both hondata and ktuner repeatedly dropping the connection. Get a cheap Dell for a few hundred bucks used or doible that new.

TLDR get ktuner from TSP with their Stg 1 map. Use a windows laptop to install it. Downshift to 4th or below if you are on the highway and want to go faster.

Welcome to the forum. Links in my sig have info on BOV and why it doesn't belong on your car.
thanks man, I want this car to last but I also want to make it more fun so I'm choosing carefully what to modify it with. I'll have map 3 here and there but I think, just for peace of mind, I'll use map 2 for a majority of my drives. I'll make sure to read up on your post about BOV

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type-R, 16 Honda Pilot Elite
Country flag
Great summary! I'm going to go through and answer as best I can to see what I know based on my experience - and any input / corrections are welcome.

1. Ktuner is program that "unlocks" your car and changes the way your engine behaves with all its sensors (rev hang disable, more boost, throttle response etc.) **Device AND the program. May be obvious but need both and of course you get both. I mention this as one needs to be sure always using latest versions, proper connections, etc. More in this below**
2. They are different tunes that change different variables in your car to make such changes. TSP has one of these preset tunes that's been well received. Yes
3. TSP Stage 1 is a tune that does not need any other modifications as it runs well with the stock 2017 Si, but you may experience clutch slipping if you're flooring it on your overdrive gears (5th, 6th) ** A conclusion usually reserved for Map 2 and 3. But I've come to accept downshifting to get above 3K RPM before doing a "roll on" acceleration. Some of course drive more aggressively and that's perfectly OK.**
4. You should look into a better clutch if you're gonna use higher level stages. **Even if you keep the car stock, a new clutch in is our future. More aggressive shortens the time. Higher RPM before loading, lengthens the time. I don't consider this a bad thing as I'm not as good a driver as many here - and I think the jury it still out on clutches for this car**
5. You need a computer if you're getting the V1.2. **Computer? You need a computer (like a Windows PC) to download KTuner to attach and set up the car / get and load [engine] tunes through the OBD2 port. You do NOT need a computer to operate once set up in the car. If you wish to monitor in the car, you need a phone to download and use TunerView software. OR, you can hack your head unit and load TunerView onto that. I use my phone and actually use it sparingly as I (and others) have connection issues with TunerView. It is a great source of data, but it is quirky for me**
6. The tune has two modes (dual settings) with one being active on normal mode, and the other activating when put into sport mode. The difference being more turbo (?) **The difference being the engine / turbo settings. Yes.**
7. If you don't know what you're doing, DO NOT mess with customizing the tune. Just use either the basemaps or other tunes such as TSP Stage 1. **And FOR ME, this is perfect. Be careful what you ask for!**
8. The V2 Ktuner brings a monitor that lets you change tunes on the go. **So does the TunerView software installed on the phone / head unit. You also need to think about "on the go". FOR ME, I won't even adjust the TSP mapping while the car is moving and under load. This is just me - others can comment.**
9. You don't need the actual hardware in the car with you at all, just that the car will always reset to stage 1 when turning it off. Yes
10. Ultimately, honda basically chose reliability over "fun" and left enough room for the car to be tuned up without needing to buy bolt ons or other mods. ** I consider the car "fun" without tuning but adding this stuff makes it much more so. I also don't feel I need bolt ons but others are expert at this and help is right here if you go down that path**
11. If you need to go to the dealer, just flash it back to stock. **You may not need to do this if you go for non-engine reasons. Others may have input but there are many examples here where return to stock was not done. **
12.TSP Stage 1 has 3 maps. 1st map = Stock and Enhanced performance, 2nd = better 3 = best but not good if you don't want to upgrade your stock clutch ** see clutch comments above **
13. Best run 93 octane ** True regardless of tuning. Also, the testing and creation of the tunes I believe is done on 93 or similar, therefore if you expect the same performance, use the same fuel.**
14. You can switch between maps 1 2 and 3 using cruise control buttons, (theres a vid on it in youtube) Yes using TSP Tunes (is my understanding)
15. Best bang for back **agree. There's a post talking about best mods for under $1,000. Check that out too. **

This a list of notes I took while researching and hope it's useful to those who are newbies like me and may be deciding on getting the TSP stage 1 tune and Ktuner.

1. What exactly is Knock control? is that an issues with tuning? **LOL, good question! **
2. What's tunerview? is that related to hacking the head unit on honda? ** Is the software used to basically monitor the car and it is pretty cool. Runs on phone and/or headunit if you hack and install it. You download the app and buy the profile for our car**
3. I keep seeing +3, +6, and I think that has to do with PSI. is it related to the Ktuner base maps?
4. I think I read that macs can't upload the tuner and you will need a windows computer. is that true?

black18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
At a high level, knock control is just the computer adjusting timing based off of values read from the knock sensors in the engine. If it detects knock, it adjusts timing accordingly to get rid of it.

TSP stage 1 is the shit. My commute is 100 miles/day all highway and I always downshift to 4th for any meaningful acceleration. You can also adjust boost by gear to save your clutch, I have mine limited to 5 psi in 5th/6th. Have seen 0 slip and I don't see myself needing a clutch for a while. I'm at 23k miles, about 4k on TSP. Enjoy! :)

OP
OP

Voitage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2017
Country flag
At a high level, knock control is just the computer adjusting timing based off of values read from the knock sensors in the engine. If it detects knock, it adjusts timing accordingly to get rid of it.

TSP stage 1 is the shit. My commute is 100 miles/day all highway and I always downshift to 4th for any meaningful acceleration. You can also adjust boost by gear to save your clutch, I have mine limited to 5 psi in 5th/6th. Have seen 0 slip and I don't see myself needing a clutch for a while. I'm at 23k miles, about 4k on TSP. Enjoy! :)
I'm grateful that you posted because you reminded me of a other question? What exactly is boost by gear? Based off what you said, can the tuner can be programmed to limit boost levels by whatever gear you're in? (There's another term I also was meaning to ask about but I forgot what it was)

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
There are some quick adjust settings in the Ktuner software that will allow you to change the boost depending on the gear you are in, this is true to TSP1, not positive about the Ktuner maps. I didn't think to adjust 5/6th gears down some, that's smart.

I've had a Ktuner for a few months now. It is great. I'm very hesitant to change anything but the base tunes, meaning I'm, for now, sticking with just vanilla TSP1, typically Map 2, and it's an incredible change. If you haven't yet, save some money for stickier tires, they will spin in 3rd gear (which is fun).

black18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
You can do boost by gear on the base maps as well. I forget where exactly it is in the software but with a little digging you'll find it.

I'm grateful that you posted because you reminded me of a other question? What exactly is boost by gear? Based off what you said, can the tuner can be programmed to limit boost levels by whatever gear you're in? (There's another term I also was meaning to ask about but I forgot what it was)
Exactly as you said it, you're limiting the max boost in that gear. If I WOT in 5th, I won't go above 5 psi. Easy way to keep your clutch happy in case you forget to downshift/feel lazy.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
To be honest, the TSP tune has not been out there long enough to know what the long term impacts might be. But one should be prepared to have funds set aside for a clutch replacement. Our Si uses the same clutch from the 174 HP EX-T. So upping the output by 50% is expected to cause some extra wear. But a lot of this really comes down to how aggressively the car is driven.

I can say that KTuner's base maps are very good. All of them run conservative boost levels in 1-2 and 5-6 to help limit strain on both the drivetrain (aka wheel hop) and clutch. You really only get full boost in gears 3-4, and really only above 2.5-3K RPMs. I don't know if the community can see the specifics of the TSP Tune. But I imagine it takes the same precautions in the higher gears for all of its maps.

Sxcrates

First Name
Socrates Molano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Great summary! I'm going to go through and answer as best I can to see what I know based on my experience - and any input / corrections are welcome.

1. Ktuner is program that "unlocks" your car and changes the way your engine behaves with all its sensors (rev hang disable, more boost, throttle response etc.) **Device AND the program. May be obvious but need both and of course you get both. I mention this as one needs to be sure always using latest versions, proper connections, etc. More in this below**
2. They are different tunes that change different variables in your car to make such changes. TSP has one of these preset tunes that's been well received. Yes
3. TSP Stage 1 is a tune that does not need any other modifications as it runs well with the stock 2017 Si, but you may experience clutch slipping if you're flooring it on your overdrive gears (5th, 6th) ** A conclusion usually reserved for Map 2 and 3. But I've come to accept downshifting to get above 3K RPM before doing a "roll on" acceleration. Some of course drive more aggressively and that's perfectly OK.**
4. You should look into a better clutch if you're gonna use higher level stages. **Even if you keep the car stock, a new clutch in is our future. More aggressive shortens the time. Higher RPM before loading, lengthens the time. I don't consider this a bad thing as I'm not as good a driver as many here - and I think the jury it still out on clutches for this car**
5. You need a computer if you're getting the V1.2. **Computer? You need a computer (like a Windows PC) to download KTuner to attach and set up the car / get and load [engine] tunes through the OBD2 port. You do NOT need a computer to operate once set up in the car. If you wish to monitor in the car, you need a phone to download and use TunerView software. OR, you can hack your head unit and load TunerView onto that. I use my phone and actually use it sparingly as I (and others) have connection issues with TunerView. It is a great source of data, but it is quirky for me**
6. The tune has two modes (dual settings) with one being active on normal mode, and the other activating when put into sport mode. The difference being more turbo (?) **The difference being the engine / turbo settings. Yes.**
7. If you don't know what you're doing, DO NOT mess with customizing the tune. Just use either the basemaps or other tunes such as TSP Stage 1. **And FOR ME, this is perfect. Be careful what you ask for!**
8. The V2 Ktuner brings a monitor that lets you change tunes on the go. **So does the TunerView software installed on the phone / head unit. You also need to think about "on the go". FOR ME, I won't even adjust the TSP mapping while the car is moving and under load. This is just me - others can comment.**
9. You don't need the actual hardware in the car with you at all, just that the car will always reset to stage 1 when turning it off. Yes
10. Ultimately, honda basically chose reliability over "fun" and left enough room for the car to be tuned up without needing to buy bolt ons or other mods. ** I consider the car "fun" without tuning but adding this stuff makes it much more so. I also don't feel I need bolt ons but others are expert at this and help is right here if you go down that path**
11. If you need to go to the dealer, just flash it back to stock. **You may not need to do this if you go for non-engine reasons. Others may have input but there are many examples here where return to stock was not done. **
12.TSP Stage 1 has 3 maps. 1st map = Stock and Enhanced performance, 2nd = better 3 = best but not good if you don't want to upgrade your stock clutch ** see clutch comments above **
13. Best run 93 octane ** True regardless of tuning. Also, the testing and creation of the tunes I believe is done on 93 or similar, therefore if you expect the same performance, use the same fuel.**
14. You can switch between maps 1 2 and 3 using cruise control buttons, (theres a vid on it in youtube) Yes using TSP Tunes (is my understanding)
15. Best bang for back **agree. There's a post talking about best mods for under $1,000. Check that out too. **

1. What exactly is Knock control? is that an issues with tuning? **LOL, good question! **
2. What's tunerview? is that related to hacking the head unit on honda? ** Is the software used to basically monitor the car and it is pretty cool. Runs on phone and/or headunit if you hack and install it. You download the app and buy the profile for our car**

How long would you recommend running a base tune? Ive heard that its mainly for a couple months before getting dyno tuned or e tuned? Has anyone ran the TSP tune for more than 12 months?

OP
OP

Voitage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2017
Country flag
You can do boost by gear on the base maps as well. I forget where exactly it is in the software but with a little digging you'll find it.

Exactly as you said it, you're limiting the max boost in that gear. If I WOT in 5th, I won't go above 5 psi. Easy way to keep your clutch happy in case you forget to downshift/feel lazy.
Oh okay I totally get it. Also, with all the excitement of receiving my Ktuner later today, it hasn't hit me yet to ask how you actually get the tune? I purchased the Ktuner from tsp website that includes the tune for free basically. Are they gonna email me the tune? Or does it already come on the hard ware?

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Oh okay I totally get it. Also, with all the excitement of receiving my Ktuner later today, it hasn't hit me yet to ask how you actually get the tune? I purchased the Ktuner from tsp website that includes the tune for free basically. Are they gonna email me the tune? Or does it already come on the hard ware?
they email the tsp tune to you.

i have been using ktuner with tsp1 for almost a year now.
replaced the clutch. got rid of the clutch delay valve.
i love it. with over 60k km on the car, light track days etc, it has been very solid and i have no problems as long as i use good gas at 91 octane or higher.

ignore the knock control as it is auto managing and will dial back the timing if it feels it needs it to protect things.

black18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
email them with your order # and ktuner serial # and they'll send you the tsp file

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
YRMV but I emailed them to get the TSP1 tune...

OP
OP

Voitage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2017
Country flag
they email the tsp tune to you.

i have been using ktuner with tsp1 for almost a year now.
replaced the clutch. got rid of the clutch delay valve.
i love it. with over 60k km on the car, light track days etc, it has been very solid and i have no problems as long as i use good gas at 91 octane or higher.

ignore the knock control as it is auto managing and will dial back the timing if it feels it needs it to protect things.
What clutch are you using? It looks like getting a new clutch is something I should be saving up for cause it'll will happen sooner or later. I heard clutch masters are all over the board with some users regretting getting it from them to others saying it was fine. I'm really hoping to get one that's as smooth as the OEM cause this car is my daily
Sponsored