KTuner vs Hondata

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
In your opinion why do you believe the base map is better then hondata? Because of power numbers? Reliability?
theres a few reasons why but i don't really feel like getting into details since everyone has their own beliefs.

feature wise, traction control is nice to have but i wouldn't say its needed. People can always tune their torque targets to suit their set up. All its doing is retarding ign timing in order to reduce power. Idk how much of an effect it has on corner exits and stuff though. I use a hondata and have TC enabled but i don't recall the last time its kicked in. Might be a different story however if you live in an area with bad climate or is running on some low grip tires.

full throttle shift is kinda useless, anti lag is not really a smart thing to use, flex fuel i don't really think is worth the effort (just my personal opinion) since you can only run such a low blend. Might be worth the effort to some if all we have is access to 91. Only pro it has feature wise currently is being able to run their fuel system upgrade if that is in your plans.

Flash pro is also car specific while Ktuner is usable on a number of other hondas and is slightly cheaper if you get the V1.2. However Hondata is still developing for the FK8 while Ktuner took a back seat so other features might be in hondatas plan. For majority of us, it really doesn't make a difference which you choose.
Sponsored

tailsctr916

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBP CTR
Country flag
theres a few reasons why but i don't really feel like getting into details since everyone has their own beliefs.

feature wise, traction control is nice to have but i wouldn't say its needed. People can always tune their torque targets to suit their set up. All its doing is retarding ign timing in order to reduce power. Idk how much of an effect it has on corner exits and stuff though. I use a hondata and have TC enabled but i don't recall the last time its kicked in. Might be a different story however if you live in an area with bad climate or is running on some low grip tires.

full throttle shift is kinda useless, anti lag is not really a smart thing to use, flex fuel i don't really think is worth the effort (just my personal opinion) since you can only run such a low blend. Might be worth the effort to some if all we have is access to 91. Only pro it has feature wise currently is being able to run their fuel system upgrade if that is in your plans.

Flash pro is also car specific while Ktuner is usable on a number of other hondas and is slightly cheaper if you get the V1.2. However Hondata is still developing for the FK8 while Ktuner took a back seat so other features might be in hondatas plan. For majority of us, it really doesn't make a difference which you choose.
I see what you’re saying cause i dont like having tc or full throttle shift on i hate how it cuts fuel and have an delay. But as for as the flex fuel its one of my more favorite mode just running e25 theres a nice noticeable difference in power. Im in cali so all we have is 91.

JayOoz

First Name
Zoo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex-T- sedan - 6 speed MT
Country flag
my car is all stock. if i was to purchase hondata flashpro, do i have to upgrade my CAI, IC? i know for sure ill have to upgrade my tires.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You don't actually have to upgrade anything with a base tune.

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
I know the general idea with adding CAI, intercooler, and downpipe is that its not good to add these boltons without tuning the car. With that being said will a basetune from either hondata or ktuner allow me to get these boltons without having issues? Some people might say you can add these bolt-ons with stock tune, but I know its better practice to tune the car when you start adding these. Thoughts?
My thought process is the following:
Get a ktuner or hondata,
Then get intake,
Intercooler,
downpipe,
then get a real dyno tune.

Or should I just wait to get intake, intercooler, and downpipe until I get the dyno tune.

tailsctr916

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBP CTR
Country flag
I know the general idea with adding CAI, intercooler, and downpipe is that its not good to add these boltons without tuning the car. With that being said will a basetune from either hondata or ktuner allow me to get these boltons without having issues? Some people might say you can add these bolt-ons with stock tune, but I know its better practice to tune the car when you start adding these. Thoughts?
My thought process is the following:
Get a ktuner or hondata,
Then get intake,
Intercooler,
downpipe,
then get a real dyno tune.

Or should I just wait to get intake, intercooler, and downpipe until I get the dyno tune.
You can use a flash tune when your completely stock and get some good gains just from flashing, you can also upload new flash tunes as you start to buying bolt ons. So to your answer i would get flash tune first.

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You can use a flash tune when your completely stock and get some good gains just from flashing, you can also upload new flash tunes as you start to buying bolt ons. So to your answer i would get flash tune first.
Definitely getting flash tune, my only debate is if I should wait to install bolt-ons until I get Dyno tune.
Is the flash tune from hondata/ktuner safe for these boltons, I know hondata has more customizable options based on parts, which is why Im leaning towards Hondata, and also my tuner is more familiar with Hondata as well.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
So back when I was looking into tuning my R about a year r so ago. I went with Hondata for one reason. at the time (someone correct me if im wrong or its changed) Ktuner had made a post they were not longer supporting the R platform and there would be no more updates. Well because of that I went with Hondata cause they do continue to update and add features. But like others have said with Hondata do not turn anti lag on unless you like blown motors. I know two people who blew their Rs up with anti lag but other then that. Myself I had zero issues with it.

I would like to hear from people who have actually used both on the car by the same person and hear why they chose one over the other instead of all the I heard this or that and i sad this or that and opinions. Anyone actually run both on same car and why did you switch?

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Fun fact: Hondata added the intake list that you could select and they admitted it did nothing. The tune was the same as a stock air box.

My buddy ran Hondata on track and blew his turbo at laguna. I run ktuner with 0 issues. Hondata is known for running aggressive tunes that run lean. What’s funny is, KTuner OTS tunes are safer and make more power than Hondata. Now if you’re going custom tune it really doesn’t matter. Features on Hondata are also pretty useless IMO. If you’re a Hondata fan boy please don’t get offended

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Fun fact: Hondata added the intake list that you could select and they admitted it did nothing. The tune was the same as a stock air box.

My buddy ran Hondata on track and blew his turbo at laguna. I run ktuner with 0 issues. Hondata is known for running aggressive tunes that run lean. What’s funny is, KTuner OTS tunes are safer and make more power than Hondata. Now if you’re going custom tune it really doesn’t matter. Features on Hondata are also pretty useless IMO. If you’re a Hondata fan boy please don’t get offended
Not a fan of either yet because i still don't have either. Is there a way to run less aggressive tunes with Hondata, without messing around with tables too much. Are there less aggressive OTS tunes with Hondata.
Also you say Ktune is safer and makes more power,
do you know the exact HP and Torque differences between ktuner and Hondata.
Also another question, if I unlock my ecu with either hondata or ktuner, and can my ecu be locked to either one. For example, I send my ecu to hondata and they unlock it, now I want to get ktuner, do I need to send me ecu to ktuner?

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I would like to hear from people who have actually used both on the car by the same person and hear why they chose one over the other instead of all the I heard this or that and i sad this or that and opinions. Anyone actually run both on same car and why did you switch?
I've tried three different tuners on the FK8: Hondata, KTuner, <banned product>

I'm currently using KTuner V1.2 because I'm cheap (saved me $200) and I only use OTS calibrations. Throttle response feels better (to me) on the current KTuner Stage 1.1 than the other two tuners (on OTS cals). One big advantage of KTuner is the ability to re-use the device on different cars. I like to experiment by unlocking it from one car and try it on my other cars (CRV, Fit, 1.5T Civic, etc...).

If you only stick with OTS calibrations, KTuner V1.2 all day long on FK8 for the lowest price of entry. But if you custom tune, both tuners are equally capable. That's just my opinion. It's OK to experiment and form your own. ?

Ramster

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8 / Supra MKV / Tesla M3P / G80 M3C xDrive
Country flag
I have both, I switched from KTuner to Hondata. To be honest its more of a personal preference and what your end goal is. You have to treat these tuners the way you listen to an exhaust, it's all subjective and personal preference. At the end of the day it's a hobby, an expensive one. So pick and choose what you like and go from there. They're both great companies so you can't go wrong with either. I treat car parts like an antibiotic cycle, 7-14 days max! okay maybe longer than that but you get the point! LOL

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Not a fan of either yet because i still don't have either. Is there a way to run less aggressive tunes with Hondata, without messing around with tables too much. Are there less aggressive OTS tunes with Hondata.
Also you say Ktune is safer and makes more power,
do you know the exact HP and Torque differences between ktuner and Hondata.
Also another question, if I unlock my ecu with either hondata or ktuner, and can my ecu be locked to either one. For example, I send my ecu to hondata and they unlock it, now I want to get ktuner, do I need to send me ecu to ktuner?
Im not sure about tweaking Hondata base maps. There’s a few users that have had both and have stated the car feels more responsive on KTuner. A buddy of mine had the OTS tunes dyno tested and Ktuner came out on top. Once your ECU is unlocked you can use both.

m_kluch

First Name
Maryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Like I said at the beginning of this thread. If you don't plan to tune the car and just upload the pre-made tunes then use Ktuner because they make a little more power, are very well developed and is cheaper.
If you plan to make big power over factory and tune the car yourself or have someone tune it for you then use Hondata because it has more features and things to tune as well as ignition controlled traction control which you definitely want when going for big power gains.
End of discussion.
Sponsored