KTuner vs Hondata

Rookie93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic type r
Country flag
ok so dont know where to ask this. but can i use the hondata used on my SI on my type R? im getting rid of the SI and getting the type R. want to know if i have to buy a whole new hondata. please help
Sponsored

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
ok so dont know where to ask this. but can i use the hondata used on my SI on my type R? im getting rid of the SI and getting the type R. want to know if i have to buy a whole new hondata. please help
No, you need to buy one specifically made for the CTR.

jdmyogi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
if you want more custom tunes go K-tuner but I think Doug from Hondata is secretly a mad genius and is also giving us more or less free new features that are tried and true to be safe for our cars.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you for the simple response. one last question if anyone can please answer. If I jail break my type r ecu via ktuner. can I use hondata on it with no issues?
You wanna reverse that and JB via hondata remote so you can tune on either platform.

TurtleRun

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Country flag
So would it be possible to summarize this thread and say; base maps for both are similar and both will work if you're just looking for additional power and torque. If you want to get more feature rich then perhaps you'll like hondata and if you're next level it won't be long with either before you get your own special tune?

My question... are base maps just as good in higher elevations (UT)?

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
So would it be possible to summarize this thread and say; base maps for both are similar and both will work if you're just looking for additional power and torque. If you want to get more feature rich then perhaps you'll like hondata and if you're next level it won't be long with either before you get your own special tune?

My question... are base maps just as good in higher elevations (UT)?
Base tunes: KTuner > Hondata
Custom tunes: KTuner = Hondata

Dabeast

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Type R
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What makes the ktuner base maps superior to the hondata maps ... don't they put down very similar numbers?

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Most controversial topic on the scene. Im going to shed some light based on my experience with owning BOTH ktuner and flashpro.

I owned ktuner for a year and the reasons I switched to flashpro was for their traction control, constant updates and support.

They felt exactly the same, they are capable of reaching the same power potential on a fbo CTR.

I sold my ktuner to my friend and loaded the stage 1 map and we did a 4th gear pull from 3k the difference was marginal almost half a car. The difference could be attributed to some mods I have he does not. What Im trying to say is they are both similar and they are both reliable. Choose what your wallet allows.

FK8_K20c1

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Don't forget the luxury with Ktuner to assign different stages to the different modes (sport, +R modes), this is really nice feature.
Hondata has the same capability. I have 3 different tq targets on my custom map.

FK8_K20c1

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I’m curious what’s the best to tune my type r with? All I have on the car at the moment is a PRL intake, in the future I plan on putting an exhaust, intercooler, downpipe. If I tune it I wouldn’t put some crazy tune on, I just need a reliable tune since I do daily drive my car and on the weekends take it joy riding around the backroads. Any suggestions?
OP the reliability on a tune is more attributed to the tuner who makes you a map and your awareness of the fuel quality.

My own example: I live on a state where we get winter. During winter we get what is called winter blend gas. This gas is more volatile and makes aggressive timing tunes knock. The opposite during summer months where good quality gas can be found and we can extract maximum power.

If you live on a state where you get winter I recommend to custom tune the car during winter months so you tune for the worst scenario and be safe all year round.

If you dont live on a state where you get winter you will be fine all year round. Just get the car custom tuned for the mods you have you will be safer than using a basetune created for everyone and not specific to your car.

My 2 cents

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
Hondata has the same capability. I have 3 different tq targets on my custom map.
Yeah, I'm already set on Hondata for so many reasons. It seems it has everything Ktuner plus more, all except overpriced fancy screen which I would prob never use. Only advantage for screen is the data values you get live are loading and sampling faster than over bluetooth to head unit which would be better for the track if you want something very responsive, but I think you still get the same value from just using bluetooth, its not like the extra 0.5 seconds will make a difference on the track. And you can't beat instant jailbreak in 30 seconds, its just too convenient.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, I'm already set on Hondata for so many reasons. It seems it has everything Ktuner plus more, all except overpriced fancy screen which I would prob never use. Only advantage for screen is the data values you get live are loading and sampling faster than over bluetooth to head unit which would be better for the track if you want something very responsive, but I think you still get the same value from just using bluetooth, its not like the extra 0.5 seconds will make a difference on the track. And you can't beat instant jailbreak in 30 seconds, its just too convenient.

The Ktuner V1.2 is MUCH cheaper, they are $449 new. The V2 has the screen, but its not required.
Sponsored