Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
What is the name of the tuning company? First of all not everything you are saying is facts. there are lots of opinions sprinkled into your "facts" and also when you switch, enjoy your 13.5:1 AFR at peak torque at 3000 rpms on the basemap with hondata. rip motor.
Elaborate, please. Many ppl have been running on Hondata basemaps in their Si's for thousands of miles without issues.
Sponsored

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Elaborate, please. Many ppl have been running on Hondata basemaps in their Si's for thousands of miles without issues.
The OP I was responding to owns a Type R, so my comment about that was related to the Type R but here is my source for my statement. Derek had that car in today and the Type R Hondata basemap was running 13.5:1 AFR at WOT which is wayyyy to lean, so the boost is pumped up. give the car some fuel and lower the boost and make better safer power

Honda Civic 10th gen Ktuner vs hondata upload_2019-7-15_21-26-51

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I think both accomplish the same thing. Hondata's approach nets a little more power running a little leaner. But it's also to minimize carbonizing the cylinders long term (an issue with early generation DI powertrains). Ktuner's base map also has peak torque around 3-3.2K RPMs. They run a little more fuel presumably to cool the cylinders and minimize excess knock. And I trust they've also found a sweet spot with base map AFRs (time will tell).

Both have done extensive testing on their base maps to the point I'd feel completely safe running long term. The only items I intend to monitor occasionally are:
  • Impacts of rev hang on oil stability/oil loss
  • Impacts of richer AFRs on long term ring and intake valve deposits (via recirculation)
  • Impacts of increased boost on wear metals (via UOA)
Hope that helps.

Honda Civic 10th gen Ktuner vs hondata CivicXSi23PSIandFlex

Last edited:

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
The OP I was responding to owns a Type R, so my comment about that was related to the Type R but here is my source for my statement. Derek had that car in today and the Type R Hondata basemap was running 13.5:1 AFR at WOT which is wayyyy to lean, so the boost is pumped up. give the car some fuel and lower the boost and make better safer power

upload_2019-7-15_21-26-51.png
Do FP basemaps run too lean on the Si as well?

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag

upload_2019-7-15_21-26-51.png
To be fair, any base map is probably going to require a custom tune when running FBO, unless specifically configured off-the-shelf for the end user's combination. Boost tables might need to be altered, for example, to help mitigate midrange torque gains over the stock calibration. And I don't think Hondata offers any OTS maps beyond an intake. Too many variables I suspect.

The AFRs seem more about tuner preference. On an otherwise stock CTR, running comparatively richer could invite other risks such as the carb issue I described above. It's really up to the end user to decide which approach they prefer (and talk options with their local tuner).

Hondata seems to be more popular on the CTR at the moment due to their TCS feature. But I'd be surprised if KTuner wasn't working on an alternative right now.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do FP basemaps run too lean on the Si as well?
I would go do a 0-70 WOT and data log it, post it here. Youll want to watch what your AFR is through the run.

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
I would go do a 0-70 WOT and data log it, post it here. Youll want to watch what your AFR is through the run.
Wow you clearly got offended by my post and had a lot to say in your other post. The only thing you managed to say that I was interested in was that the v2 works w tunerview. Why are you so hardcore ktuner?
Here’s question for you.
If ktuner didn’t make a cheaper option and didn’t have the v2 do you really think people would prefer it?
Either way it doesnt resolve the issues of mislabeled tuning charts, no way of seeing knock in data and customer service avoiding questions.
I’ve tuned with
cobb tuning
Efi live
Hptuners
Jb4 modules
All of these clearly label each chart there perspective uses and when they are used.
From a tuners point of view ktuner is not user friendly because of unclear labeling and if you check the 2 turbo limit charts the one is actually engine temp even though it’s labeled air temp.
Being that I have previous experience I noticed it right away but what about the newer guy who’s going to blow something up because if it?
How does that benefit anyone.
Also the tuning company was actually ktuner themselves I was trying not to say it but now it’s out there. The customer service isn’t up to what I would have expected.
Also lastly there are fueling options coming soon. Literally this week I talked to a very well known racing company in the Honda world. They are working on an upgraded pump to put us in the 5-600 whp yes whp.
Ktuner is a great off the shelf option but as an end solution for tuning it’s unorthodoxed and not as user friendly.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow you clearly got offended by my post and had a lot to say in your other post. The only thing you managed to say that I was interested in was that the v2 works w tunerview. Why are you so hardcore ktuner?
Here’s question for you.
If ktuner didn’t make a cheaper option and didn’t have the v2 do you really think people would prefer it?
Either way it doesnt resolve the issues of mislabeled tuning charts, no way of seeing knock in data and customer service avoiding questions.
I’ve tuned with
cobb tuning
Efi live
Hptuners
Jb4 modules
All of these clearly label each chart there perspective uses and when they are used.
From a tuners point of view ktuner is not user friendly because of unclear labeling and if you check the 2 turbo limit charts the one is actually engine temp even though it’s labeled air temp.
Being that I have previous experience I noticed it right away but what about the newer guy who’s going to blow something up because if it?
Also the tuning company was actually ktuner themselves I was trying not to say it but now it’s out there. The customer service isn’t up to what I would have expected.
Also lastly there are fueling options coming soon. Literally this week I talked to a very well known racing company in the Honda world. They are working on an upgraded pump to put us in the 5-600 whp yes whp.
Ktuner is a great off the shelf option but as an end solution for tuning it’s unorthodoxed and not as user friendly.
why did you delete your first reply to me? oh and definitely not offended lol. you are just blabbering about nothing really. I dont see any other reputable tuners in the tuning world complaining about ktuner and how it works. In fact the two best in the industry recommend Ktuner over Flash Pro. but you do you buddy. FYI, I actually used flash pro on this platform. Guess what, one of their updates nearly blew my engine, but go ahead an enjoy your switch, Im not trying to stop you.

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
13.5 is lean under boost but with direct injection it’s different world than port injection. There are two reasons to run a richer AFR. One is due to increased cylinder air flow turbulence the mixture requires more fuel to fully burn the available oxygen. The second reason is to keep cylinder temperatures down. A person must consider this about the leaner AFR at low rpm is that direct injection has much better fuel control and much better atomization therefore not requiring as much fuel to prevent knock. It isn’t necessarily unsafe.
When I had my 2013 Camaro zl1 the factory tune was 13.5 below 3500 and it was supercharged. I’ve never seen an LSA blow up stock.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
13.5 is lean under boost but with direct injection it’s different world than port injection. There are two reasons to run a richer AFR. One is due to increased cylinder air flow turbulence the mixture requires more fuel to fully burn the available oxygen. The second reason is to keep cylinder temperatures down. A person must consider this about the leaner AFR at low rpm is that direct injection has much better fuel control and much better atomization therefore not requiring as much fuel to prevent knock. It isn’t necessarily unsafe.
When I had my 2013 Camaro zl1 the factory tune was 13.5 below 3500 and it was supercharged. I’ve never seen an LSA blow up stock.
supercharged v8 low compression engine vs high compression turbo 4 banger, totally great comparison lol. Why do you think the zl1 was lean below 3500 on the factory tune, power or fuel economy?

novadrive

For what it is worth. I am running a +6 PSI (MAF shows 20LBs max on pulls) stock tune from Hondata, works great with my 27WON intake. I checked and I have zero knock, lambda is perfect. Not running lean or rich. Just my 2 cents :popcorn:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not getting into a which one is easier to tune or which one is better/more popular debate here, but...

The two tuning gurus of the gen X Civic are Derek (IMWtuned) and Vit (Vittuned). Derek (the current king) and Vit (no longer actively tuning, but the former king) both strongly prefer KTuner. That's just a fact.

As an aside, I currently use KTuner but used Flashpro first.

Last edited:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not getting into a which one is easier to tune or which one is better/more popular debate here, but...

The two tuning gurus of the gen X Civic are Derek (IMWtuned) and Vit (Vittuned). Derek (the current king) and Vit (no longer actively tuning, but the former king) both strongly prefer KTuner. That's just a fact.
sometimes when people dont understand what they are doing, they start to blame the product. Especially true when you see them compare to other products that dont even a apply to the 10th gen. And tuning 10th gen ECU logic is different than previous Honda's. And now that I remember that guy has had problems with KTuner since the day he got it.

ParkwayDrive13

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen Ralley Red SI
Country flag
Here’s question for you.
I’ve tuned with
cobb tuning
Efi live
Hptuners
Jb4 modules

I mean no disrespect when I say this..

If you find Ktuner, and its tuning software not as user friendly as you would expect, then i'd put that soley on your inexperience with Honda, the understanding of verbiage used in the tuning community in general. And it's honestly, a very subjective stance to take, especially when you consider that - as other have stated - the top tuners in our community prefer Ktuner over Hondata. Additionally, you should be very well versed in said tuning software before tuning anything anyways. A lot of the verbiage used in ktuners software is listed on their site.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I mean no disrespect when I say this..

If you find Ktuner, and its tuning software not as user friendly as you would expect, then i'd put that soley on your inexperience with Honda, the understanding of verbiage used in the tuning community in general. And it's honestly, a very subjective stance to take, especially when you consider that - as other have stated - the top tuners in our community prefer Ktuner over Hondata. Additionally, you should be very well versed in said tuning software before tuning anything anyways. A lot of the verbiage used in ktuners software is listed on their site.
A quick review of his posting history across the site shows that he is not versed in the 10th gen tuning community at all and has only had negative things to say and complain about. on the R forum people are giving him answers and he just says he didnt ask questions he just wants feedback. Basically meaning he wants someone to confirm he opinions and no one will, because they all know the things he is looking for are there, he just 1) doesnt know what he actually is looking for or 2) doesnt understand what he is looking for. The way he talked, I thought he was an actual tuner in the tuning community but to me it sounds more like he is a self tuning, who only tunes his own cars.....
Sponsored