Zcfc3dc5

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si, 2002 Acura rsx type s, 2011 Nissan Titan
Country flag
Thanks for all the posts guys despite the fact that YES this has been discussed to death. What I haven't found easily though is how long did you wait before tuning your car? I pick mine up tomorrow and I'm settled on KTUNER but figured I should "bed" the clutch on the factory tune and maybe have the first oil change before flashing. I also want to put the BMS turbo cone filter on it to hear a bit more of the turbo goodness... How long did you guys wait before tuning?
I was tuned at 2,000 miles lol
Sponsored

Konos44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Si
Country flag
Thanks guys... I might wait on the tune till after the first oil change but with summer approaching - even up here in Northern Ontario... FINALLY - I might do a BMS cone filter just to hear the turbo noises. Cuz who buys a turbocharged car and then does everything they can to hush it?! :)

TouringBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I've extensively searched and read many threads regarding this K-Tuner Vs Hondata debate but I'm still indecisive what fits best for my 2017 Civic Touring Sedan - CVT 1.5L. Most of the threads are old which denote Hondata doesn't support CVT that well but I'm not sure whether that's still the case?

Any insight or suggestions to what the best fit would be for my CVT? I only see myself using a base flash map and nothing crazy.

ThatDustyFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1 Si
Country flag
I've extensively searched and read many threads regarding this K-Tuner Vs Hondata debate but I'm still indecisive what fits best for my 2017 Civic Touring Sedan - CVT 1.5L. Most of the threads are old which denote Hondata doesn't support CVT that well but I'm not sure whether that's still the case?

Any insight or suggestions to what the best fit would be for my CVT? I only see myself using a base flash map and nothing crazy.
KTuner. /thread

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Ok guys. I've just spent the last couple of hours searching for the answer to this question and I haven't been able to find it. I'm looking for a street legal, low increase tune to mitigate the factory nerfs, like turbo delay and rev hang. The "CARB" version of Hondata only advertises a +6 tune. For you guys that actually have this tuner, do they offer a +3 base tune for the Si. I'm waiting for the ACT flywheel and clutch to become more main stream before I'm going to swap them out.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Ok guys. I've just spent the last couple of hours searching for the answer to this question and I haven't been able to find it. I'm looking for a street legal, low increase tune to mitigate the factory nerfs, like turbo delay and rev hang. The "CARB" version of Hondata only advertises a +6 tune. For you guys that actually have this tuner, do they offer a +3 base tune for the Si. I'm waiting for the ACT flywheel and clutch to become more main stream before I'm going to swap them out.
Remember, you can always go into the boost table (TC Max Pressure) and the torque limit table (even on the CARB version) to lower power output to your liking. But, keep in mind the CARB version doesn't offer the throttle and spool tweaks that will improve part throttle driveability.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Yup, I was hoping to avoid all of that math stuff, but yes I can do that.

ThatDustyFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1 Si
Country flag
Yup, I was hoping to avoid all of that math stuff, but yes I can do that.
I would advise you just get a KTuner from Two Step Performance and use their TSP Stage 1 tune (It is included for free if you purchase your KTuner from them). It will alleviate any of the headaches associated with setting up your own tune, and it has been thoroughly tested prior to being released to the public.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I believe the CARB friendly tuners do not allow adjusting anything except boost and spool. If looking to adjust Rev Hang, ignition or fueling... you will probably need the FlashPro Race or KTuner V1.2/V2. All three offer the TSP Stage 1 tune at no additional charge if bought new. Right now, KTuner seems to be the better value due to the on-the-fly map switching, several extra quick adjustments, and the wide array of 1.5Ts to which a single unit can support (one at a time). If those aren't important to you, then either solution will probably do just fine.

If going new with a race/off-road tuning solution, I suggest picking up the TSP tune, and try out once you're comfortable with the aftermarket clutches out there. You can always run a conservative base map now to get a feel for the changes over stock. On factory boost levels, both KTuner and Hondata still seem to increase midrange torque considerably. I suspect it's because the base maps allow boost to accumulate earlier in the powerband. And TSP's Map 1 is "theoretically" aggressive enough to wear down the clutch, thanks in part to extra ignition & fueling tweaks (presumably that is).

I personally run factory boost on KTuner V2, and use Sport Mode to engage extra PSI on occasion. I can use on-the-fly map switching to cycle different PSI limits in Sport. I don't like KTuner's full rev hang disable as it can cause the car to lurch in some conditions. FlashPro users don't seem to have the same complaints, which makes me think they tweak their rev hang a little differently. That's not a dig against KTuner as they have three options to disable (the lightest setting is perfect IMHO). The problem is that it's not intended to be adjustable on the TSP Stage 1 tune. It's either full disable or stock.

Hope that helps. :cool:

EDIT: I recently chatted with @LilToTo17 who ran the factory clutch on TSP Stage 2 for 7-10K miles. Although he didn't really do hot starts, which is a key factor in clutch wear, his experience with the factory Si clutch was very favorable.

Last edited:

Konos44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Si
Country flag
I believe the CARB friendly tuners do not allow adjusting anything except boost and spool. If looking to adjust Rev Hang, ignition or fueling... you will probably need the FlashPro Race or KTuner V1.2/V2. All three offer the TSP Stage 1 tune at no additional charge if bought new. Right now, KTuner seems to be the better value due to the on-the-fly map switching, several extra quick adjustments, and the wide array of 1.5Ts to which a single unit can support (one at a time). If those aren't important to you, then either solution will probably do just fine.

If going new with a race/off-road tuning solution, I suggest picking up the TSP tune, and try out once you're comfortable with the aftermarket clutches out there. You can always run a conservative base map now to get a feel for the changes over stock. On factory boost levels, both KTuner and Hondata still seem to increase midrange torque considerably. I suspect it's because the base maps allow boost to accumulate earlier in the powerband. And TSP's Map 1 is "theoretically" aggressive enough to wear down the clutch, thanks in part to extra ignition & fueling tweaks (presumably that is).

I personally run factory boost on KTuner V2, and use Sport Mode to engage extra PSI on occasion. I can use on-the-fly map switching to cycle different PSI limits in Sport. I don't like KTuner's full rev hang disable as it can cause the car to lurch in some conditions. FlashPro users don't seem to have the same complaints, which makes me think they tweak their rev hang a little differently. That's not a dig against KTuner as they have three options to disable (the lightest setting is perfect IMHO). The problem is that it's not intended to be adjustable on the TSP Stage 1 tune. It's either full disable or stock.

Hope that helps. :cool:

EDIT: I recently chatted with @LilToTo17 who ran the factory clutch on TSP Stage 2 for 7-10K miles. Although he didn't really do hot starts, which is a key factor in clutch wear, his experience with the factory Si clutch was very favorable.

Hahaha, ya what he said! I just flashed mine about a week ago and to be honest I'd be fine with running it on the "Stage 1" tune from TSP. The 16PSI tune with the "tweaks" that they do are quite sufficient. Like Design said above if you desire you can switch on the fly to "Stage 2" where you get the 19PSI and 21.5PSI if you hit the SPORT button.

For me the rev hang delete was worth it alone but you can definitely feel more in the mid range again as Design so accurately mentioned. I also fully agree with him that it doesn't seem to be completely gone but I'm not sure if I'll mess with it. I wouldn't mind trying a more aggressive "rev drop" but its no where near as bad as stock and don't really finding myself having to adjust my driving for it like I did with stock.

One further suggestion might be to contact KTuner and talk to them maybe about a custom tune to address your concerns specifically. They seem VERY active and responsive in general which is always a positive thing.

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
As a tuner I am seriously thinking of switching to hondata.
I haven’t used hondata yet but starting with correct labeling of what your tuning is a plus.

1. mislabeled tuning features. Example is on ktuner one of the maps claims turbo limit based on air temp yet click on it you’ll surely see it’s not air temp but engine temp. There are a few things like this that make it seriously a pain to tune.
2 hondata clearly labels exactly when each timing chart is activated under which cam positions and whether VTEC is on or not. Ktuner calls it ignition map variant and map variant cam outlet with a H and L which doesn’t signify anything. Last I checked cam timing is positive or negative. 8 timing tables and no exact description as to when to use each one.
3.hondata has more advanced tuning options such as traction control and a REAL 2step not a moved neutral rev limiter.
4. Hondata enables simple tuning adjustments by selecting mods. You can select individual mods that change portions of the tune and they already have flex fuel.
5 more people use hondata

So far those are a few advantages of hondata.
The ktuner and hondata both have a radio based app to see your engine data.
Ktuner does have the v2 which is a nice add on but setting LED lights isn’t as simple as it should be. You have to set each led one by one. This one thing is just my opinion. It has advantages if your running an extremely modified car with many things you have to monitor but we aren’t. Also the v2 does not seem to work with the viewlite app. Only the 1.2.
Yes ktuner makes slightly more power but we are literally talking in the neighborhood of 5-7 hp according to dyno charts. That can be easily tuned in. That was on sane dyno same day 3 pulls each.
Any feedback on advantages and disadvantages I’d like to here them.
And seriously no trolls and no bashing I’m saying only facts here not opinion.
If anyone has a good reason besides minimal hp ,that ktuner is better option please say why.
I am currently running ktuner w custom tune.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As a tuner I am seriously thinking of switching to hondata.
I haven’t used hondata yet but starting with correct labeling of what your tuning is a plus.

1. mislabeled tuning features. Example is on ktuner one of the maps claims turbo limit based on air temp yet click on it you’ll surely see it’s not air temp but engine temp. There are a few things like this that make it seriously a pain to tune.
2 hondata clearly labels exactly when each timing chart is activated under which cam positions and whether VTEC is on or not. Ktuner calls it ignition map variant and map variant cam outlet with a H and L which doesn’t signify anything. Last I checked cam timing is positive or negative. 8 timing tables and no exact description as to when to use each one.
3.hondata has more advanced tuning options such as traction control and a REAL 2step not a moved neutral rev limiter.
4. Hondata enables simple tuning adjustments by selecting mods. You can select individual mods that change portions of the tune and they already have flex fuel.

So far those are a few advantages of hondata.
The ktuner and hondata both have a radio based app to see your engine data.
Ktuner does have the v2 which is a nice add on but setting LED lights isn’t as simple as it should be. You have to set each led one by one. This one thing is just my opinion. It has advantages if your running an extremely modified car with many things you have to monitor but we aren’t. Also the v2 does not seem to work with the viewlite app. Only the 1.2.
Yes ktuner makes slightly more power but we are literally talking in the neighborhood of 5-7 hp according to dyno charts. That can be easily tuned in. That was on sane dyno same day 3 pulls each.
Any feedback on advantages and disadvantages I’d like to here them.
And seriously no trolls and no bashing I’m saying only facts here not opinion.
If anyone has a good reason besides minimal hp ,that ktuner is better option please say why.
I am currently running ktuner w custom tune.
What is the name of the tuning company? First of all not everything you are saying is facts. there are lots of opinions sprinkled into your "facts" and also when you switch, enjoy your 13.5:1 AFR at peak torque at 3000 rpms on the basemap with hondata. rip motor.
Also the v2 does not seem to work with the viewlite app. Only the 1.2.
I've been running tunerview lite with my v2 since the app was in Beta and never had 1 single issue. connects every time. The only time I've ever heard of anyone having an issue was when they are using bluetooth for multiple things on the head unit
Hondata didnt come out with mods until well after Ktuner had quick adjustments which are drop downs. They added all those mods to make it appear they have more choices of tunes. Ktuner quick adjustments adjusts portions of the tunes as well.
I doubt that, every single poll on this website and facebook show 80-85% of users preferring Ktuner.
Sponsored