J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Is there a level of tune (with either Hondata or K-Tuner/Vit-Tune) which optimizes things (no rev hang, etc.) but only increases boost by a very modest amount, like 2 0r 3 PSI?
They both offer multiple tune levels, but only KTuner has a rev hang disable at this point.
Sponsored

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
They both offer multiple tune levels, but only KTuner has a rev hang disable at this point.
How does the rev hang disable with ktuner compare to what Hondata offers?

Hondata documentation said:
https://www.hondata.com/help/flashpro/rev_hang.htm?zoom_highlightsub=overrun

Rev hang - What is 'rev hang'?

'Rev hang' is the common term for when the engine speed does not fall immediately when shifting. It only affects manual transmission vehicles. Some models do not have 'rev hang', in others vehicles it is noticeable when shifting.

How do I reduce 'rev hang'?

There are several things to check in order to reduce rev hang. Note that not all vehicles may have these options - if the options are missing, then it could be that those vehicles do not have the ECU behaviour which causes rev hang.

Overrun throttle

Uncheck Parameter -> Throttle -> Overrun throttle opening enabled.

Honda Civic 10th gen Ktuner/Vit tune vs. Hondata overrun-throttle

This will shut the throttle plate quicker when the throttle pedal is released.

Overrun Fuel Cut Delay

Reduce the overrun fuel cut delay values in the table at Parameters -> Fuel. This table is by gear, suggested values are 20-50 ms.

Honda Civic 10th gen Ktuner/Vit tune vs. Hondata overrun-delay

This will shut the injectors off quicker when the throttle is closed.

Note that your vehicle must be well tuned as well. Excessive closed loop fuel trims give similar symptoms to rev hang.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
How does the rev hang disable with ktuner compare to what Hondata offers?
On the CivicX platform we have a checkbox to disable rev hang, there's two threads here on this forum with information about it. One with comparisons outlined in a before and after graph. From what I understand they do not have this option for CivicX.

While we also have fuel cut delay settings, this does not actually disable rev hang.

RunningHot2017

20 years. Smashing gears.
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Does anyone have an idea of just how much punishment the stock clutch can stand if the Si has... say 250hp at the crank?

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
Does anyone have an idea of just how much punishment the stock clutch can stand if the Si has... say 250hp at the crank?
It’s not really the horse power that’s the problem. It’s all the torque you get down low. That’s what makes the clutch slip.

RunningHot2017

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
It’s not really the horse power that’s the problem. It’s all the torque you get down low. That’s what makes the clutch slip.
What is typical torque limit for the stock clutch?

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
also, are you aware that this car actually makes not far off from 250 HP at the crank stock? The 205 HP that is quoted by Honda is to the wheels. But yeah, as others have stated, its not the HP that burns clutches its the torque.

RunningHot2017

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
also, are you aware that this car actually makes not far off from 250 HP at the crank stock? The 205 HP that is quoted by Honda is to the wheels. But yeah, as others have stated, its not the HP that burns clutches its the torque.
I knew Honda was dishonest with the numbers but I didnt know what the hp rating actually was. Just wish I knew what the clutch limits were.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
I knew Honda was dishonest with the numbers but I didnt know what the hp rating actually was. Just wish I knew what the clutch limits were.
It varies from car to car. Ive seen it slip between 240-280 torque. Heck I’ve seen some EX-T’s 280wtq and o clutch slip.

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ehh, dishonest is a bit of a strong term. Honda wanted people to go for the Type R instead of the SI. So they quote the WHP on the SI (understate) and the BHP on the Type R (overstate). Strategy.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Understating power figures is a longstanding JDM practice. I doubt that it has anything to do with marketing strategy, considering that production numbers of the Type R were kept intentionally low.

jayee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si (Sold), 2020 BMW M2C
Country flag
205 is what Honda rates it at the crank. You will never find a manufacterer that speaks in terms of wheel HP simply because there are way too many variables to account for. In reality people have been dynoing 170-200 wheel HP. If I had to guess

Many companies underrate their engines these days. It's always better to underrate and have happy customers realize there is more power than advertised than to overrate and have angry customers because they got slower cars than advertised.

It's hard to give an exact number for the clutch because it really depends on your driving habits, tune and how the clutch was broken in. I believe most people start experiencing clutch slip at around 250lb-ft but some have had slip at stock torque and some have been close to 300lb-ft with no slip. Clutch break in plays a huge part in it's holding power as well. If you didn't follow Honda's 500 mile break in period and drove it like you stole it from day 1 your clutch's holding power and lifespan will be significantly reduced.

RunningHot2017

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
205 is what Honda rates it at the crank. You will never find a manufacterer that speaks in terms of wheel HP simply because there are way too many variables to account for. In reality people have been dynoing 170-200 wheel HP. If I had to guess

Many companies underrate their engines these days. It's always better to underrate and have happy customers realize there is more power than advertised than to overrate and have angry customers because they got slower cars than advertised.

It's hard to give an exact number for the clutch because it really depends on your driving habits, tune and how the clutch was broken in. I believe most people start experiencing clutch slip at around 250lb-ft but some have had slip at stock torque and some have been close to 300lb-ft with no slip. Clutch break in plays a huge part in it's holding power as well. If you didn't follow Honda's 500 mile break in period and drove it like you stole it from day 1 your clutch's holding power and lifespan will be significantly reduced.

I babied this car for the first 2000 miles I even changed my oil at 3000. I did everything by the book.

But now that im up over 10k I run this car as wild as I am. Tuned, CAI, will soon install an intercooler. I have no clue what kind of power my car is putting out. I live in an area where the atomospheric pressure is around .99kpa so I get some pretty sweet power. On a cold day my car will squeal tires doing a pull in 2nd gear for almost the whole pull. The torque is impressive but I am slightly concerned on just how much punishment this clutch can take.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I babied this car for the first 2000 miles I even changed my oil at 3000. I did everything by the book.

But now that im up over 10k I run this car as wild as I am. Tuned, CAI, will soon install an intercooler. I have no clue what kind of power my car is putting out. I live in an area where the atomospheric pressure is around .99kpa so I get some pretty sweet power. On a cold day my car will squeal tires doing a pull in 2nd gear for almost the whole pull. The torque is impressive but I am slightly concerned on just how much punishment this clutch can take.
Look for clutch issues to show their face in third gear and above. Especially if you install an aftermarket downpipe or use E85.

dominican

Enthusiast YouTuber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Honda Prelude, 2002 Honda S2000, 2011 BMW 335d, 2017 Honda Civic Hatch WOP Sport M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
for the 10th gens, Ktuner offers the best rev hang delete. That was enough for me when I got mine for my sport hatch last August.
Sponsored