Ktuner V2 on an EXT CVT running 91 standard fuel - What kind of gains can I expect and what's safe tuning-wise?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I read that old thread about Ktuner on the CVTs from back in 2017 and a bunch of people commented saying they were running like 25PSI, but they were using a fancy fuel mixture. This car is a daily driver for me, so I want it to be able to run off fuel I can get from basically any gas station.

So what can I expect if I run Ktuner V2 with standard premium fuel you'd get at practically any gas station in America? Should I bother taking it to a professional tuner to get a professional tuner or should I just run the highest available stock Ktuner Tune?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I read that old thread about Ktuner on the CVTs from back in 2017 and a bunch of people commented saying they were running like 25PSI, but they were using a fancy fuel mixture. This car is a daily driver for me, so I want it to be able to run off fuel I can get from basically any gas station.

So what can I expect if I run Ktuner V2 with standard premium fuel you'd get at practically any gas station in America? Should I bother taking it to a professional tuner to get a professional tuner or should I just run the highest available stock Ktuner Tune?
Also everything else on the car is stock, though from what I've read intakes and exhaust don't do a whole lot on the EXTs and Ktuner can basically take the CVT to its limit. Is that accurate running stock fuel or should I invest in some bolt-ons?

kadireren

First Name
kadir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T Hatchback Sport + CVT (182ps)
Country flag
Also everything else on the car is stock, though from what I've read intakes and exhaust don't do a whole lot on the EXTs and Ktuner can basically take the CVT to its limit. Is that accurate running stock fuel or should I invest in some bolt-ons?
You can use starter 21 psi safely with 91 octane. Besides if you live in a hot area, an intercooler will definitely let you gain some power.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
You can use starter 21 psi safely with 91 octane. Besides if you live in a hot area, an intercooler will definitely let you gain some power.
So is 21 the highest I could safely do with regular 91? And yeah I do live in Utah so it does get hot here fairly often, I've never heard of an intercooler but I'll definitely look into those.

kadireren

First Name
kadir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T Hatchback Sport + CVT (182ps)
Country flag
So is 21 the highest I could safely do with regular 91? And yeah I do live in Utah so it does get hot here fairly often, I've never heard of an intercooler but I'll definitely look into those.
A cheap rev9 intercooler will do the job

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You should be fine running Ktuner basemaps on 91 or 93 if available. Basemaps have grunt down low but are tuned to be safe. Nice improvement over stock for sure. Custom tuning is only really necessary with aftermarket turbo or maybe if you run e35 but I don't recommend either for a daily driver right now. CAI is for noise, downpipe will add a nice exhaust note and will give you a few HP and torque + allow turbo to spool sooner, intercooler is a good option as well as it'll help with hotter climates, might allow for less boost but making the same power thanks to denser air. I run 24psi or so peak on my Phearable 1.5R tune and have done so for a few thousand miles, no issues. Been tuned now upwards of 7,000 miles and just changed my CVT fluid the other day for the first time since the original owner bought new (I bought second-hand), and it did not have ANY signs of wear or even fluid burn.
What kills the CVTs is torque down low and abusing the car (ex. burnouts, brakeboosting, related actions where you subject the CVT to excessive amounts of torque down low). As long as you don't do that and probably not floor it from a dead stop constantly, you should be fine.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend checking out gtman's Tuning and Reliability Experience thread, he has gathered a ton of good information pertaining to tuning and just how safe it is. If you haven't added your car, you totally should.

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
My recommendation would be to purchase a ktuner through Phearable as they include their own tune file with the purchase. The regular Phearable 1.5T non Si tune can be used with 91. The tune is smooth with its power delivery. You don't have to do bolt ons if you don't want to.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
You should be fine running Ktuner basemaps on 91 or 93 if available. Basemaps have grunt down low but are tuned to be safe. Nice improvement over stock for sure. Custom tuning is only really necessary with aftermarket turbo or maybe if you run e35 but I don't recommend either for a daily driver right now. CAI is for noise, downpipe will add a nice exhaust note and will give you a few HP and torque + allow turbo to spool sooner, intercooler is a good option as well as it'll help with hotter climates, might allow for less boost but making the same power thanks to denser air. I run 24psi or so peak on my Phearable 1.5R tune and have done so for a few thousand miles, no issues. Been tuned now upwards of 7,000 miles and just changed my CVT fluid the other day for the first time since the original owner bought new (I bought second-hand), and it did not have ANY signs of wear or even fluid burn.
What kills the CVTs is torque down low and abusing the car (ex. burnouts, brakeboosting, related actions where you subject the CVT to excessive amounts of torque down low). As long as you don't do that and probably not floor it from a dead stop constantly, you should be fine.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend checking out gtman's Tuning and Reliability Experience thread, he has gathered a ton of good information pertaining to tuning and just how safe it is. If you haven't added your car, you totally should.
I've already read through the reliability thread, which is what convinced me to go head with it. Just wasn't sure how far I should push the thing. Thanks for the input, think I'll do the same tune as you.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
My recommendation would be to purchase a ktuner through Phearable as they include their own tune file with the purchase. The regular Phearable 1.5T non Si tune can be used with 91. The tune is smooth with its power delivery. You don't have to do bolt ons if you don't want to.
Thanks for the info, that's exactly what I'll do next month when I've got money for Ktuner. I think I'm also going to do some bolt-ons, at least an intercooler and an exhaust. I figure with an intercooler, exhaust, and the tune, it'll get the car pretty close to as much as the little transmission can handle anyway, so no need for more than that. After that it'll be a matter of finding little ways to cut weight, like a carbon fiber hood and trunk lid, and some light wheels. Not expecting this thing to be too fast, I mostly just want to be able to absolutely smoke my buddy's stock Accord because he insists it's faster lol.

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You cannot beat Phearable tunes, and like CVTSport18 said, buy your Ktuner from Phearable and get their Stage 1.5 tune for free, the 1.5R / race tune cost extra but is worth it if only because artificial knock rise was moved. I get better gas mileage on Phearable 1.5r than I did stock, it isn't as touchy down low as Ktuner but it's meant for mid and high end power. Quality gas is necessary though due to timing. 93 recommended, and if you have e85 a single gallon per fillup wouldn't hurt either.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A cheap rev9 intercooler will do the job
As long as it doesn't send pieces of shredded metal into your throttle body. :eek:

I wish I had saved that photo....

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
As long as it doesn't send pieces of shredded metal into your throttle body. :eek:

I wish I had saved that photo....
Is the Rev9 that bad? I was going to grab it because I was like hey it's just some aluminum fins basically, can't really go wrong.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is the Rev9 that bad? I was going to grab it because I was like hey it's just some aluminum fins basically, can't really go wrong.
The photo I saw was a large piece of aluminum that was wedged into someone's throttle body on a 1.5T Civic from one of these cheap intercoolers with near zero quality control, not to mention the poor design to begin with.

I understand and respect that cost is an important factor for many shoppers when it comes to this sort of thing. If you have a limited budget I would encourage you to seek out quality parts in good used condition rather than resorting to "junk" products such as this.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
The photo I saw was a large piece of aluminum that was wedged into someone's throttle body on a 1.5T Civic from one of these cheap intercoolers with near zero quality control, not to mention the poor design to begin with.

I understand and respect that cost is an important factor for many shoppers when it comes to this sort of thing. If you have a limited budget I would encourage you to seek out quality parts in good used condition rather than resorting to "junk" products such as this.
Eh I've got money, or rather I will relatively soon since I just got a huge raise like 2 days ago. I just don't know what is and isn't garbage, this Civic is my second car and the first car I've ever done anything other than maintenance to.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Eh I've got money, or rather I will relatively soon since I just got a huge raise like 2 days ago. I just don't know what is and isn't garbage, this Civic is my second car and the first car I've ever done anything other than maintenance to.
Regardless, even if someone has plenty of money I respect that they are trying to make sure it is invested wisely. :thumbsup:
Sponsored