Ktuner V1.2 vs v2?

Lukex24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
I posted this on the fb group, but didn't get a ton of responses, so figured I'd come here next. I'm debating on either the v1.2 or the v2. Is having the screen on the v2 really worth the extra $200 vs just syncing the v1.2 with a phone or head unit? What are the pros and cons of each?
Sponsored

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I went through the same set of questions you did when purchasing my v1.2, maybe I can help you out:
Pros of v1.2: Cheaper by a considerable amount, essentially the v2 but no screen, less likely to have your windows knocked out and the unit be stolen.
Cons: Of course, no screen, but if you have a spare smartphone lying around like I do, just use that. With that said, in order to use Bluetooth to connect the unit you need to buy a specific module, or buy a special one with it already installed. I've yet to do it personally.

I don't know what all the v2 has to offer aside from showing real time info, and maybe the ability to swap tunes on the go vs just maps? But you can't go wrong with either one man.

OP
OP

Lukex24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
I appreciate the response!

What special module are you speaking of, I haven't seen reference to this yet in my research?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The key selling point of the V2 for me was the fact that from locking to unlocking, uploading tunes and real time monitoring, no laptop or app is needed. Plus the LEDs are really cool. I have mine set to flash red when IATs go too high.

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
https://www.hamotorsports.com/products/bluetooth-add-on-module-for-ktuner-rev1-boards
This is the module I've referred to, HOWEVER I came across something looking for this actually. It appears my research was wrong, that the Ktuner v1.2 does come with Bluetooth capability out of the box? I will try to get this working and let you know.

Edit: I didn't read everything fully for that module. It looks to be just for ecu-replacement units, not our Ktuner v1.2. My mistake lol

Jason Baker

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
https://www.hamotorsports.com/products/bluetooth-add-on-module-for-ktuner-rev1-boards
This is the module I've referred to, HOWEVER I came across something looking for this actually. It appears my research was wrong, that the Ktuner v1.2 does come with Bluetooth capability out of the box? I will try to get this working and let you know.

Edit: I didn't read everything fully for that module. It looks to be just for ecu-replacement units, not our Ktuner v1.2. My mistake lol
I will share that I have been using the v1 for 10,000 miles and I am just tired of locking up/resetting the head unit.
Get the v2 and just admire the ease of use!
Trust me it’s better!

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I will share that I have been using the v1 for 10,000 miles and I am just tired of locking up/resetting the head unit.
Get the v2 and just admire the ease of use!
Trust me it’s better!
Were you using your headunit to sync to the v1.2? If so that's great information to know. I plan on using an old smartphone I have (OnePlus 7 Pro) lying around.

With that said, v2 is definitely more expensive, but OP if you have the money and plan on keeping this car long term, it may be good to just jump the gun on v2.

lhobbs

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
The key selling point of the V2 for me was the fact that from locking to unlocking, uploading tunes and real time monitoring, no laptop or app is needed.
+1 for the V2 -- no laptop was huge for me. One less thing to go wrong during flashing (bad USB port / cable, laptop battery low, etc.).

Jason Baker

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
+1 for the V2 -- no laptop was huge for me. One less thing to go wrong during flashing (bad USB port / cable, laptop battery low, etc.).
I had mine running through the head unit.
Great when it worked. Miserable to keep connected via Bluetooth. I’d rather I have the controller and no laptop then to constantly clog my headunit.
Just pull the trigger!
It’s smarter’