First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I tuned for the first time like 2 weeks ago and I'm loving it. Recently flashed Ktuner starter 21 and the turbo makes an odd noise like it's skipping or something when you really get on it. Instead of whiiiiiiisssshhhhhhh its like whiiiiishh pft pft pft whishhhhhh. I don't get any lights, no weird readings at all on the screen or anything like that. Anyone have a similar experience?

For what its worth 2019 sport touring hatch, CVT, 35k miles but only 1 year old on the Aug 30th. Runs perfect otherwise1
Sponsored

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
So I tuned for the first time like 2 weeks ago and I'm loving it. Recently flashed Ktuner starter 21 and the turbo makes an odd noise like it's skipping or something when you really get on it. Instead of whiiiiiiisssshhhhhhh its like whiiiiishh pft pft pft whishhhhhh. I don't get any lights, no weird readings at all on the screen or anything like that. Anyone have a similar experience?

For what its worth 2019 sport touring hatch, CVT, 35k miles but only 1 year old on the Aug 30th. Runs perfect otherwise1
You might be slightly releasing pressure to the gas pedal without noticing. Do you notice it when you WOT or only when you slightly or half way press the pedal?

OP
OP
disgraced.fk8

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You might be slightly releasing pressure to the gas pedal without noticing. Do you notice it when you WOT or only when you slightly or half way press the pedal?
Oh it's definitely not WOT. I try to stay away from WOT now thatI'm on the 21psi map. I should pay closer attention to the psi fluctuation. I just didn't notice anything wildly unreasonable.

This makes a lot of sense because from what I've seen you get like 20psi at half throttle or so,it's almost too fast for my liking. I think I have to start trying different BBG limits and see how I like it.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Oh it's definitely not WOT. I try to stay away from WOT now thatI'm on the 21psi map. I should pay closer attention to the psi fluctuation. I just didn't notice anything wildly unreasonable.

This makes a lot of sense because from what I've seen you get like 20psi at half throttle or so,it's almost too fast for my liking. I think I have to start trying different BBG limits and see how I like it.
There's nothing wrong with WOT on the 21psi map. Try it..... :)

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag

Nothing wrong with going WOT every now and then. Try it out when it's safe. I noticed something similar a while back but with the help of TunerView and paying attention to my foot I noticed I was slightly releasing pressure to the pedal without wanting to. It went away when I kept it steady and/or floored it.

OP
OP
disgraced.fk8

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There's nothing wrong with WOT on the 21psi map. Try it..... :)
Eh, I just like to be safe -I don't have a backup car and work 80 miles from home. I know it's not that bad on the car, but still if anything happens I'm pretty screwed. I do watch knock control religiously, but on the non-si models anything above 5500rpm shoots you up to .59-.61. I then let it get back down to at least like .52 or .53 before any more pulls. With the 21 map I feel like most times I get the pickup I want without WOT so it's sort of a peace of mind thing for me to not put my foot to the floor. To be honest I have noticed what people say about ktuner starter 21 fizzling out at top end, because the midrange is so punchy, and I haven't even tried TSP.

Thank you for the input @Civii it sounds like that could very well be my issue! I don't notice it every time either which also points me to your comment. I am going to do a bit of testing and see if a waver in pressure causes this noise.

My next goal is to get the touchyness of the dual 21psi map down juuuuust a bit, and then figure out if I can put the 18psi map as the ECO button on the dual tune. The unedited dual tune in sport is nice, but in regular drive ECO mode will not cut it. I've found a few threads and bookmarked for thorough reading later, but I'm not sure they are trying to do the same thing I want to do. Also still need to learn how the 'slots' function because I tried loading something to that before and once it was done I couldn't figure out what changed or anything.

OP
OP
disgraced.fk8

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nothing wrong with going WOT every now and then. Try it out when it's safe. I noticed something similar a while back but with the help of TunerView and paying attention to my foot I noticed I was slightly releasing pressure to the pedal without wanting to. It went away when I kept it steady and/or floored it.
Just to revisit this... I have been trying to monitor and see if this is still happening. This morning, it happened as I was increasing throttle. Let's say I started at 50% slowly ramping up and like 60% to 70% throttle I had that same pft pft pft pft noise. It continued as I increased throttle, so I mashed it and it went away. I don't think it impacts performance as I still see 18-20 psi in that range of throttle just before WOT. It also does not happen below 50% throttle. And it doesn't feel like anything is fizzling out up top either. Very odd that it happened as I was increasing throttle though... I'm getting lost and it might be time to datalog and share here for some more experienced members to take a peek at.

OP
OP
disgraced.fk8

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So is this a case where the ecu detects too much boost and is basically letting out some to reach the target?

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7, 2016 Panamera, 2000 AP1 S2000
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So is this a case where the ecu detects too much boost and is basically letting out some to reach the target?
Yes, if you dont want those effect disable boost ramping and set spooling to most agressive settings(not recommended for CVTs and I have one blown CVT to show for it). This will just make the target for boost the same for any amount of throttle from what I understand. Maybe @KTuner can verify. I also just figured out the reason behind the psh psh psh from adjusting maps.

Ron21

First Name
Rom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Yes, if you dont want those effect disable boost ramping and set spooling to most agressive settings(not recommended for CVTs and I have one blown CVT to show for it). This will just make the target for boost the same for any amount of throttle from what I understand. Maybe @KTuner can verify. I also just figured out the reason behind the psh psh psh from adjusting maps.
On your blown CVT. Did you adjust your quick boost by gear like changing your boost psi down low gears?
this would be a great info for everyone
Sponsored