First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
the most popular former profession of the residents of Hell is F&I guy at car dealerships.
You said it! I'll have to check out that study from '97.

If you think the dealer makes big money on car sales when they're moving car for at or under invoice to move units... extended warranties. Maintenance plans. Road hazard on wheels/tires. Paint protection. Scotch guard. Under body coatings. The 'dealer add-on' options. That's where they make a killing. All of that happened after your 'salesman' tries to get you to sign a piece of nothing paper with a number on it and gives you a hearty handshake.

Make no mistake... it's the finance guy that sells you the car, and they'll try to bleed you for thousands if they can get it out of you back there. I looked up the cost of the road hazard plan I could about cover the cost on an OEM wheel and tire for it's cost during my few minutes with my guy on this last purchase. I wouldn't rebuy the OEM tires anymore anyways... and the chances of needing to replace an OEM wheel are slim. It's gambling... and the house, over the course of it's customers, wins big.

I'm not saying that warranties aren't worth it if you absolutely can't absorb some expensive repair to the powertrain... but they sure can be haggled down towards $1000 for 8 year 100k warranties with no deductable compared to their opening offers which are regularly 2x or more of that. I'm pretty down on warranties in general on cars. On appliances, I think they are worth it and have definitely gotten a return on investment. This is mainly because refrigerators with sealed systems aren't really worked on... and I've gotten checks cut for the new value of refrigerators... with the warranty costing ~10% extra on the purchase cost. Modern appliances are great and energy efficient... but seem to just not be very durable. Anything else (washer, dryer, microwave, dishwasher, etc) can be easily fixed by the average, motivated home owner though for $10s of dollars most times.

I've never gotten much out of automotive warranties. I don't get a return on investment with the repairs and towards the end of the extended warranty period, your vehicle is so old and parts are so plentiful, it's just not that big of a deal to get parts. Aren't we selling while sets of like-new Si rims on here already?

https://www.civicx.com/threads/fs-oem-2018-si-wheels-tires.34707/

Recent sale. $400 for all 4 rims. $700 with the rubber. No reason to rely on a dealer when you can just get replacements yourself for less... *if* it's needed. I know I looked up stock turbos on a similar thread and found our little TD025s used for $400 all over eBay. It's still early... but the used parts market is starting to take shape. With a million Civics sold and the generation not done yet... it's only going to get better.
Sponsored

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
Speaking of extended warranties, here is a pro-tip for those who actually want to buy one: get internet quotes from Hyannis Honda and Saccucci Honda beforehand. When you sense that the F&I guy is about to launch into an extended warranty spiel, you cut him off and tell him how much you can get the same plan for online. If he can match, you declare, you’d buy from him. There is almost no way he can match it, because those dealerships sell the plans at a loss (or close to it) — yet, they make plenty of money from Hondacare because they receive a substantial top producer bonus from Honda every quarter/year. Regular dealerships would be stupid to sell at the same price, because they would never ever qualify for the incentive payment. But every now and then, a dealer would match it.

But what’s great is that this exchange would deflate them quickly and move on to other wonderful “plans” they offer, or try to convince you to buy a third party extended warranty (read: higher commission for the stealer) for 3x the Hondacare price. I guarantee that he would struggle to explain coherently how that plan is better than Hondacare, especially at the cost differential. Usually highly entertaining.

Either way, I find that this strategy is a great time saver if you don’t want to be impolite and tell him to just move on already.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
Be impolite to the finance guy? :lol:
You know how you don’t send back food to the kitchen (see the breakfast scene from Road Trip, among others).

Human DNA is exceedingly difficult to remove from fake suede. I learned that from watching Bill the Science Guy on Discovery Channel. As such, you would want to be courteous to everyone at the dealership.

These are valuable lessons you would learn when you get to my age (91).

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
You know how you don’t send back food to the kitchen (see the breakfast scene from Road Trip, among others).

Human DNA is exceedingly difficult to remove from fake suede. I learned that from watching Bill the Science Guy on Discovery Channel. As such, you would want to be courteous to everyone at the dealership.

These are valuable lessons you would learn when you get to my age (91).
I don't go out of my way to be rude to people but that's a fair point lol.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You said it! I'll have to check out that study from '97.

If you think the dealer makes big money on car sales when they're moving car for at or under invoice to move units... extended warranties. Maintenance plans. Road hazard on wheels/tires. Paint protection. Scotch guard. Under body coatings. The 'dealer add-on' options. That's where they make a killing. All of that happened after your 'salesman' tries to get you to sign a piece of nothing paper with a number on it and gives you a hearty handshake.

Make no mistake... it's the finance guy that sells you the car, and they'll try to bleed you for thousands if they can get it out of you back there. I looked up the cost of the road hazard plan I could about cover the cost on an OEM wheel and tire for it's cost during my few minutes with my guy on this last purchase. I wouldn't rebuy the OEM tires anymore anyways... and the chances of needing to replace an OEM wheel are slim. It's gambling... and the house, over the course of it's customers, wins big.

I'm not saying that warranties aren't worth it if you absolutely can't absorb some expensive repair to the powertrain... but they sure can be haggled down towards $1000 for 8 year 100k warranties with no deductable compared to their opening offers which are regularly 2x or more of that. I'm pretty down on warranties in general on cars. On appliances, I think they are worth it and have definitely gotten a return on investment. This is mainly because refrigerators with sealed systems aren't really worked on... and I've gotten checks cut for the new value of refrigerators... with the warranty costing ~10% extra on the purchase cost. Modern appliances are great and energy efficient... but seem to just not be very durable. Anything else (washer, dryer, microwave, dishwasher, etc) can be easily fixed by the average, motivated home owner though for $10s of dollars most times.

I've never gotten much out of automotive warranties. I don't get a return on investment with the repairs and towards the end of the extended warranty period, your vehicle is so old and parts are so plentiful, it's just not that big of a deal to get parts. Aren't we selling while sets of like-new Si rims on here already?

https://www.civicx.com/threads/fs-oem-2018-si-wheels-tires.34707/

Recent sale. $400 for all 4 rims. $700 with the rubber. No reason to rely on a dealer when you can just get replacements yourself for less... *if* it's needed. I know I looked up stock turbos on a similar thread and found our little TD025s used for $400 all over eBay. It's still early... but the used parts market is starting to take shape. With a million Civics sold and the generation not done yet... it's only going to get better.
"...and the chances of needing to replace an OEM wheel are slim." Uh, you may want to check these forums; plenty of guys that have to replace OEM rims that were bent or cracked from hitting pot holes with those rubber bands around the 20" wheels. How many guys on here have switched to 18" wheels to avoid damaging the OEM wheels? $400 for all (4) OEM wheels? Not sure where you found that, but you should buy those & resell them immediately because that is absurd or those wheels are in poor shape. I would not even think about selling my OEM wheels for less than $2,000 and they are just sitting in the corner of my garage. The list price for (1) single OEM wheel is $1,306.99. One wheel. Cheapest price I could find anywhere for one new OEM wheel was $915.00. That is more than I paid for the entire wheel warranty. A bunch of people on here have had a bent wheel completely replaced with the warranty, one guy twice!

I hear what you are saying and yes it is a gamble, but isn't everything? What are the chances of having your house burn down? Screw homeowners insurance. I've paid that shit for over a decade & never used it, so must be a total waste of money. Yes, dealerships make their money that way and great if you never have to use it. The wheel insurance was less than $1k for 3 or 5 years (can't recall.) You bend one wheel on a pot hole, spend that on a new one out of pocket & could bend the new one driving home from the shop. It's a gamble either way, no one is "right" here.

1981CBX

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Touring Coupe (owned) 2018 Accord base model (leased) 1981 Honda CBX motorcycle
Country flag
With the possibility of a the oil being diluted with gasoline "recall", I'm going to install my SIRIMOTO E85 conversion on my 2017 Civic Touring Coupe, damn the torpedoes, fuel speed ahead. I survived the TDI buyback without looking back, they can pay for my new 300 HP racer's only crate engine before I'll let the "mods" scare me out of the extended warranty I got suckered into paying for.

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got the extended warranty on my car to but next time I will just save my money. Because isn’t that the whole reason we bought a Honda in the first place? We wanted reliability.
Buy a Honda for reliability, by the warranty in case your Honda was put together by the hungover guy on a Friday.

novadrive

Just tuned my FK7 at 5500 Miles, would recommend! :headbang: That reminds me I need to call my dealer and get my coverage refunded.
Sponsored