kpun

First Name
Kelv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
Would you get ktuner and refund 8yr/100k extended warranty? Or keep the extended warranty?
Sponsored

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
In trying to figure this out, keep in mind that, even if you are still within the initial 3/36/60 factory warranty period, Honda Care (if that's what you have) and most third party warranty issuers, would prorate your warranty purchase price based on the mileage (as opposed to elapsed time from purchase), and start the proration from the very first mile (as opposed to after the factory warranty has expired, i.e., 36,001 miles).

In other words, you would not get a full refund if you cancel -- in fact, depending on the timing/mileage, there is a good chance that they get to keep a substantial amount of the original purchase price. . . . even if you bought the warranty relatively recently.

I can clarify if the above is confusing.

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
I bought the warranty. I need a reliable daily. I have modified several cars in the past and usually it works out but I always feel uncomfortable driving them for the long haul. This car I figure I will leave the engine alone and just do basic mods. Mainly audio system and maybe a drop and a cat back. ( not sure about the latter two as I like the way the car drives now as is)

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I might be biased, but I sort of just ignore factory warranties.

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Here are my thoughts on people who ask the question "should I mod or wait until my warranty is up". This applies only if you're dead set on modding the car (i.e not on the fence about tuning).

There are 2 scenarios that will occur:
(1) You start modding while under warranty. You break something. Your dealer is cool about it and fixes it under warranty. Great.
(2) You wait 3 years or 8 years or whatever long ass period the warranty lasts. Then you start modding while not under warranty. You break something. You have to pay out of pocket to get it fixed.

Based on the above, if I was someone who was 100% planning to mod my car, I would ALWAYS choose #1. What is the benefit of waiting?

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Here are my thoughts on people who ask the question "should I mod or wait until my warranty is up". This applies only if you're dead set on modding the car (i.e not on the fence about tuning).

There are 2 scenarios that will occur:
(1) You start modding while under warranty. You break something. Your dealer is cool about it and fixes it under warranty. Great.
(2) You wait 3 years or 8 years or whatever long ass period the warranty lasts. Then you start modding while not under warranty. You break something. You have to pay out of pocket to get it fixed.

Based on the above, if I was someone who was 100% planning to mod my car, I would ALWAYS choose #1. What is the benefit of waiting?
I would always add the caveat that if you mod, you certainly should have some money set aside to be able to cover non-warrantied work if/when issues occur. Always. ESPECIALLY if you have a lien against the vehicle.

I'm currently not modding because I have other planned expenses coming up that would endanger the 'what if' fund that would be set aside for this, by my choice. Can't wait until that changes...

I also would add a (3) to your list, however:

(3) You start modding under warranty, and something happens unrelated to your modding that could be covered under warranty, and your dealer denies. Not great; Good luck following up with Honda Corporate.

Alj888

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic touring
Country flag
From personal experience they don’t honor any warranty. I waited.... car broke anyways and they won’t do anything so I would say mod the crap out of it. Hahah and get rid of the extra monthly payment for the warranty!

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
From personal experience they don’t honor any warranty. I waited.... car broke anyways and they won’t do anything so I would say mod the crap out of it. Hahah and get rid of the extra monthly payment for the warranty!
I agree. I know this experience could vary from person to person, but most of the time they will try to put the blame on you for anything that you want repaired under warranty. I got the extended warranty on my car to but next time I will just save my money. Because isn’t that the whole reason we bought a Honda in the first place? We wanted reliability. So I say mod it but try not to go too crazy with it and try to destroy it lol. Try to stay reasonable, especially when you are dealing with the engine.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Would you get ktuner and refund 8yr/100k extended warranty? Or keep the extended warranty?
You have student listed as your occupation. I would keep the extended warranty. If you're going to mod you should do it with the mindset that you're prepared to pay for things that might break, especially if the car is not already paid off.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did both. However, my dealer is cool and the guy I work with in the service department mods as well. They installed my exhaust, changed the tranny fluid to Amsoil & fixed the wiring harness recall with no questions asked. All depends on the dealer. If you have the extended warranty & they refuse to fix something, tell them to refund the warranty & see what happens.

I asked them to refund the wheel warranty because I got aftermarket wheels & they said they would even repair the new set under the warranty. Dealers can be cool or suck hard.

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
I did both. However, my dealer is cool and the guy I work with in the service department mods as well. They installed my exhaust, changed the tranny fluid to Amsoil & fixed the wiring harness recall with no questions asked. All depends on the dealer. If you have the extended warranty & they refuse to fix something, tell them to refund the warranty & see what happens.

I asked them to refund the wheel warranty because I got aftermarket wheels & they said they would even repair the new set under the warranty. Dealers can be cool or suck hard.
Not saying your dealer is a liar, but I'd like to see a dealer honor the wheel warranty on a set of $3400 Rays. I am skeptical.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not saying your dealer is a liar, but I'd like to see a dealer honor the wheel warranty on a set of $3400 Rays. I am skeptical.
That was actually the finance guy that said that, so I'm not sure they would follow through when the chips are down. However, considering the cost of the OEM wheels, they are not far off from a set of Rays. The Finance dept & service department are 2 different stories, even at this dealership. The service team has been beyond cool at this dealership, but the dealership across town is the exact opposite.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd personally not pay to get the extra warranty and would tune. But I went into it planning to tune... and have the means to fix it. If you don't have the means to absorb thousands in unlikely, but at least qualitatively more likely repairs from modding, I would absolutely hold on to the warranty and not mod. I would not rely on a warranty, whether it was the factory warranty or extended warranty to fix something I intentionally contributed to through tuning if the power train gives up.

However, considering the cost of the OEM wheels, they are not far off from a set of Rays.

I'm with @idragmazda
Maybe to you... but the dealer would probably pay about the same as you would for those Rays... but pay *way* less for those OEMs to then mark them up and pass them along to you. I think even buying them through one of the random discount parts networks would run about $1000 for a set. The finance guy (or the guy that tells any and every lie to complete the sale you agreed on) would say anything in the world to make a sale or to keep you from trying to refund the add-ons he/she sold you. Ask them to put it in writing that they'll replace those wheels at their new value of $3400. Otherwise it's just hot air.

Just pulling the first random road hazard plan for wheels/tires I googled says they only cover up to $200 per wheel. You have to read what your warranty says it'll do. They absolutely will not do anything more than what it says.

https://www.friendlyhonda.net/road-hazard-protection.htm

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
I'd personally not pay to get the extra warranty and would tune. But I went into it planning to tune... and have the means to fix it. If you don't have the means to absorb thousands in unlikely, but at least qualitatively more likely repairs from modding, I would absolutely hold on to the warranty and not mod. I would not rely on a warranty, whether it was the factory warranty or extended warranty to fix something I intentionally contributed to through tuning if the power train gives up.

I'm with @idragmazda
Maybe to you... but the dealer would probably pay about the same as you would for those Rays... but pay *way* less for those OEMs to then mark them up and pass them along to you. I think even buying them through one of the random discount parts networks would run about $1000 for a set. The finance guy (or the guy that tells any and every lie to complete the sale you agreed on) would say anything in the world to make a sale or to keep you from trying to refund the add-ons he/she sold you. Ask them to put it in writing that they'll replace those wheels at their new value of $3400. Otherwise it's just hot air.

Just pulling the first random road hazard plan for wheels/tires I googled says they only cover up to $200 per wheel. You have to read what your warranty says it'll do. They absolutely will not do anything more than what it says.

https://www.friendlyhonda.net/road-hazard-protection.htm
I agree. Hate to generalize but the most popular former profession of the residents of Hell is F&I guy at car dealerships. I trust that most of you have seen the controversial 1997 study from the Oral Roberts University on the Hell demographics. Me neither, but the point is this: Never ever believe F&I dudes; always read the actual paper work - their verbal representations won’t mean chit and they wouldn’t hesitate to lie for a commission.
Sponsored