Ktuner isn't street legal, will this affect car insurance?

bob

First Name
Stabby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic hatchback
Country flag
Has anyone been involved in an accident with ktuner.

I'm thinking about buying one, but it explicitly states that this is not for use on public roads. If you were to get into an accident, could your entire car insurance be voided?
Sponsored

trapbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Has anyone been involved in an accident with ktuner.

I'm thinking about buying one, but it explicitly states that this is not for use on public roads. If you were to get into an accident, could your entire car insurance be voided?
I don't think they will know you have a ktuner unless you tell them lol

OP
OP

bob

First Name
Stabby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic hatchback
Country flag
I don't think they will know you have a ktuner unless you tell them lol
But if it's a bad accident, wouldn't they investigate the entire car? Not sure.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Not likely, but the police may dump ECU/data recorder crash data during the investigation and, if they're really nasty, issue an environmental violation - that could ruin your day.

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
are you like 15 or something? this sounds like a question I would get on Quora from one of those people that have asked 15,000+ questions.

the "not road legal" means it doesn't meet emissions standards, what you are asking is basically like asking will Car Insurance void my policy if I remove my muffler. NO Never in the history of ever does that come up.

OP
OP

bob

First Name
Stabby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic hatchback
Country flag
are you like 15 or something? this sounds like a question I would get on Quora from one of those people that have asked 15,000+ questions.

the "not road legal" means it doesn't meet emissions standards, what you are asking is basically like asking will Car Insurance void my policy if I remove my muffler. NO Never in the history of ever does that come up.
Not sure why my age matters

OP
OP

bob

First Name
Stabby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic hatchback
Country flag
Not likely, but the police may dump ECU/data recorder crash data during the investigation and, if they're really nasty, issue an environmental violation - that could ruin your day.
Do you know if I will be able to pass a smog test with a ktuner?

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
In the past, you could pass SMOG while tuned as long as your readiness codes were set.

Whether this is still true or not, I'm not 100% sure.

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
It'll unlikely to pass CA smog but you can flash back to factory map and drive it for a day before getting it smogged. But, still, it's illegal to drive a tuned car on public streets in CA. So, in your case, I advise against buying any tuner that requires flashing the ECU. Stay on the safe side and drive happy.

You can get quite a bit of pickup and handling improvements by simply getting a PRL stage 1 intake, a 3" catback exhaust, some lighter wheels, summer tires, thicker rear sway bar, and front strut bar. Good luck!
Sage advice!

Rustlinjimmies

First Name
Meh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Im on the more ill deal with the smog when it comes up lmao but an easy flash to stock drive it stock for a week or 2 and im sure you'd pass smog easily if you still have your cat and a carb legal intake

OP
OP

bob

First Name
Stabby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic hatchback
Country flag
It'll unlikely to pass CA smog but you can flash back to factory map and drive it for a day before getting it smogged. But, still, it's illegal to drive a tuned car on public streets in CA. So, in your case, I advise against buying any tuner that requires flashing the ECU. Stay on the safe side and drive happy.

You can get quite a bit of pickup and handling improvements by simply getting a PRL stage 1 intake, a 3" catback exhaust, some lighter wheels, summer tires, thicker rear sway bar, and front strut bar. Good luck!
Does the Ktuner somehow pollute the environment more?

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag

It will if your loud exhaust made a pedestrian go deaf. Lol...

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
That's a really interesting question really. I mean is legal to change your brakes if you're not a certified mechanic? :hmm: