swinks

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4.6L V8 2019 Civic 2.0L CVT
Country flag
I’ve recently gotten a 2019 honda civic from my aunt that my parents helped a little bit in paying off. I’m thinking about getting a ktuner V1.2 for it but i know doing so will get my parents worried about losing the warranty. I’ve heard you can flash the tuner back to stock settings though so would i be in the clear using that? I’d be running stock everything so what kind of gains would I be getting from the tuner? I’m new to performance mods since my old car wouldn’t be worth putting money into. Any help would be great.
Sponsored

Beansley

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I’ve recently gotten a 2019 honda civic from my aunt that my parents helped a little bit in paying off. I’m thinking about getting a ktuner V1.2 for it but i know doing so will get my parents worried about losing the warranty. I’ve heard you can flash the tuner back to stock settings though so would i be in the clear using that? I’d be running stock everything so what kind of gains would I be getting from the tuner? I’m new to performance mods since my old car wouldn’t be worth putting money into. Any help would be great.

As far as I know it's still up for debate whether or not you'll be putting your car in jeopardy for voiding your warranty. A big factor is how you treat it with tunes, whether that be slamming it at from a stop or getting in and tweaking things a little too far.

You can go check out gtman's tuning reliability survey to better help you make a decision.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Here's the thing. A base tune with a more or less stock setup, driven normally, likely won't have a problem in terms of reliability. But it will be like driving a different car, literally. It's that big of a difference.

In terms of warranty, yes you can revert back to stock for dealer visits, I don't.

As far as gains, I think you'd be well over 200whp/220tq on a base KTuner 21 CVT tune..

OP
OP

swinks

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here's the thing. A base tune with a more or less stock setup, driven normally, likely won't have a problem in terms of reliability. But it will be like driving a different car, literally. It's that big of a difference.

In terms of warranty, yes you can revert back to stock for dealer visits, I don't.

As far as gains, I think you'd be well over 200whp/220tq on a base KTuner 21 CVT tune..

Damn it’s that big of a difference? I’m not planning on messing with it myself: 1. I don’t need to because i’ll be a on stock internal and 2. I’d fuck it up. Also does the V1.2 require a laptop? What’s the difference between the V1.2 and the V2?

OP
OP

swinks

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As far as I know it's still up for debate whether or not you'll be putting your car in jeopardy for voiding your warranty. A big factor is how you treat it with tunes, whether that be slamming it at from a stop or getting in and tweaking things a little too far.

You can go check out gtman's tuning reliability survey to better help you make a decision.
I’m not going to treat it too rough but will obviously have some fun with it. I just want to get that better throttle response and acceleration. I won’t be doing any tweaking any time soon though so i should be good

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Damn it’s that big of a difference? I’m not planning on messing with it myself: 1. I don’t need to because i’ll be a on stock internal and 2. I’d fuck it up. Also does the V1.2 require a laptop? What’s the difference between the V1.2 and the V2?
Yes V1.2 requires a laptop for locking and unlocking purposes. You can use Tunerview to upload a tune.

V2 is a touchscreen unit. No laptop needed but it costs a couple hundred more.

Ultimately, there both do the same thing.

OP
OP

swinks

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes V1.2 requires a laptop for locking and unlocking purposes. You can use Tunerview to upload a tune.

V2 is a touchscreen unit. No laptop needed but it costs a couple hundred more.

Ultimately, there both do the same thing.
Alright i’ll be getting a laptop for college soon anyways and i won’t even be getting the tuner until summer when I can work more hours. Any other recommendations to get along with a tune to get some more horsepower.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Real quick... I just realized you don't have a turbo model. Ktuner has a tune but those numbers I posted were for the turbo. My bad.

You'll get some decent gains but nothing like the turbo tunes.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Additional mods? A cold air intake is a good place to start.

OP
OP

swinks

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Additional mods? A cold air intake is a good place to start.
I’ve heard that the intake is already pretty good for the civics and that it won’t do much on a 2.0L and that my would be spent better towards a tuner.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
On your model KTuner will give you 22hp/18tq gains plus better throttle response and a lower vtec crossover.

OP
OP

swinks

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
On your model KTuner will give you 22hp/18tq gains plus better throttle response and a lower vtec crossover.
Alright that’s still pretty good and is there any effect on the sound?

NewCivicRs

First Name
CIVIC.FK4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo RS
Country flag
In my humble opinion, if I may add something. Sorry to hear that your civic is 2.0 L non turbo version.
I can say not much we can do for him to make giant power gain, but wait..

For your case, I recommend:
1. Check for Radiator Coolant, Spark plugs, Piston, Injectors, Air Cooler, Transmission oil, and Engine oil anything before tuning up power because you never know what previous owner has done. Replace the Spark and Coolant if neccessary.
"Use Factory spec"

2. Any good brand Catless Downpipe, Front pipe but keep stock Muffler, so still comfortable to drive or straight pipe if you don't care the sound.

3. Try replacement Air Filter like BMC or K&N or any, don't choose Steel made without cotton, they don't filter dust.

4. Get Racing Coil, pair with stock Spark Plug. NEVER upgrade Stock spark Plug to one step colder unless your car has turbo and tuned quite hard.

5. Now step 5 after engine performance restoration, time for ECU Tuning like Ktuner, you need profesional to do this because stock setup from Ktuner is mild and most of the time would not make you satisfy, but it is not wise to tune it by yourself.

6. Use good Oil for safety and performance. Always choose Premium Fuel, so your tuner can adjust ignition timing for the best.

Have a good day bro.

NewCivicRs

First Name
CIVIC.FK4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo RS
Country flag
@swinks I suggest you to care more about correct tuning, instead of warranty. Talking about warranty meaning your car is already fail and you need warranty, you never want to use a warranty, ever. By doing it right, you will never need warranty and can revert to stock when you want to sell it.

But let say you want some information, here.. Ktuner Tune will not avoid warranty as long as you flash it back to stock "IN CASE" engine fail, maybe because of Production Defect or anything.

Exhaust too can be reverted to stock, all plug and play.

Racing Coil also plug and play, no foot step ahahaha.

Last edited:
OP
OP

swinks

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
In my humble opinion, if I may add something. Sorry to hear that your civic is 2.0 L non turbo version.
I can say not much we can do for him to make giant power gain, but wait..

For your case, I recommend:
1. Check for Radiator Coolant, Spark plugs, Piston, Injectors, Air Cooler, Transmission oil, and Engine oil anything before tuning up power because you never know what previous owner has done. Replace the Spark and Coolant if neccessary.
"Use Factory spec"

2. Any good brand Catless Downpipe, Front pipe but keep stock Muffler, so still comfortable to drive or straight pipe if you don't care the sound.

3. Try replacement Air Filter like BMC or K&N or any, don't choose Steel made without cotton, they don't filter dust.

4. Get Racing Coil, pair with stock Spark Plug. NEVER upgrade Stock spark Plug to one step colder unless your car has turbo and tuned quite hard.

5. Now step 5 after engine performance restoration, time for ECU Tuning like Ktuner, you need profesional to do this because stock setup from Ktuner is mild and most of the time would not make you satisfy, but it is not wise to tune it by yourself.

6. Use good Oil for safety and performance. Always choose Premium Fuel, so your tuner can adjust ignition timing for the best.

Have a good day bro.
Thanks man I should’ve specified this but the car sat for a little bit and currently has like 830 miles i think but i can’t even drive it but I will very soon. The title transfer process has been ridiculously long and the tags just expired as well. I’ll keep all this in mind. Would you agree a CAI wouldn’t be worth the money?
Sponsored