OP
OP

number9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic SI
Country flag
The message about high powered USB port is a WARNING. It's not checking to see if you have one or if the unit is plugged into the vehicle. If it is, and has adequate power, you should update the firmware.
How do I confirm the unit is plugged in?

The message stating the unit isn't yet locked to an ECU means the unit should indeed be unlocked and ready for usage once you do.
Is the proper procedure to lock the unit first, then update, or update then lock the unit?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Ktuner should show connected in the bottom left in a green box (It might say logging or somehting similar, I haven't looked in a while) its safe to say since it tell you the firmware is out of date that it is connected.

You can update the firmware without flashing/locking the unit to the car the car at all they are separate sow either way is fine, however it is always a good idea to update the firmware before you actually flash the ECU

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
It’s usually hard to have solid WiFi when you are out at your car. What I do is…update computer software and ktuner firmware inside of my house so it’s faster. Then I go to my car and flash.

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag
OP, I just updated my software and firmware, no issues with not having a high speed USB port. As a previous poster mentioned, do NOT disconnect while updating and especially not while flashing. Hopefully you've read the Ktuner instructions, but if not it is important to note that you will see a LOT of error messages in your dash display while flashing (Electronic Parking Brake problem, Lane Keeping Assist problem, etc.). Everything will be fine after you've followed the on screen instructions and start the car after finishing reflashing.

OP
OP

number9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic SI
Country flag
Just an update I suppose. I plugged it in and got it to do the firmware update on the Ktuner. I got the Ktuner to "see" the ECU. I locked it to it. I have a tune, and I did file -> open tune, and it came in and Ktuner said something about not all fields being visible. OK.

At that point, I could not upload the tune to the ECU. The option was greyed out. The tuner said it was locked, and if I stepped on the pedal for example, I got a response on screen. After trying this multiple times, and also realizing that I can not find the Ktuner tunes in any menu/submenu/field anywhere on the Ktuner softeware (even after reading the FAQ), I just kind of gave up. The only options it had that would work are to return to factory tune. I did that (it took 20 minutes) and unlocked the unit.

I think I am going to sell this thing. I am not convinced something is wrong somewhere.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
If you opened a partially locked tune it told you the tune was partially locked.
If you have a tune file open and you're connected to the unit the up arrow is available.
If you've watched the tutorial video you'd see the process for flashing.
File>New Tune would get you to the tune files. Click the plus to expand the vehicle drop down, select your ECU, and hit next. See the tutorial video for the entire process. Super easy.

You can't get as far as you have without the unit being functional. Watch the tutorials in the online help for a walk through or call support. Super easy.

OP
OP

number9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic SI
Country flag
If you opened a partially locked tune it told you the tune was partially locked.
I have a tune purchased from a tuning company. Not sure why it would be partially locked. Not sure why it would not appear in the upload section. I followed the same procedure as the video and as the tuner companies website. I could not get that tune to show up. When I loaded it into Ktuner, it showed at the top that it was on that tune I purchased, but there was no way to upload it.

File>New Tune would get you to the tune files.
I swear I did that and there was nothing there. I just downloaded the latest from ktuner.com (that is the place, correct)?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Tune files purchased from tuning companies are generally locked for the most part. Tuners don't want owners playing around with their stuff, if that makes sense.

In the case of an ots tune on your computer, you open the file in the KTuner software. Make any changes, then upload it to the one of the five available slots on the Ktuner unit. You then flash that tune via the OBD-II to the ECU.

OP
OP

number9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic SI
Country flag
Tune files purchased from tuning companies are generally locked for the most part. Tuners don't want owners playing around with their stuff, if that makes sense.
Yeah, I get that, but I am really not sure what I am missing. I loaded the tune into Ktuner, but there was no way I could upload it to the ECU.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Any tuner can partially lock their tune files.

Click the up arrow while connected to the unit, like that tutorial video I mentioned shows. You may want to watch that.

kadireren

First Name
kadir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T Hatchback Sport + CVT (182ps)
Country flag
Yeah, I get that, but I am really not sure what I am missing. I loaded the tune into Ktuner, but there was no way I could upload it to the ECU.
Ä°f you loaded the tune into ktuner unit, you cAn upload it via tunerview lite from the head unit.

OP
OP

number9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic SI
Country flag
Any tuner can partially lock their tune files.

Click the up arrow while connected to the unit, like that tutorial video I mentioned shows. You may want to watch that.
This one?
And this one?

Watched them both before I even started. Followed them step by step. Its making me nervous that I do not see what I am supposed to see... and of course, on the most expensive thing I own... So maybe I am a bit nervous about it all on top of it not doing what the video/tutorials say.

OPS, forgot to add, clicking the up arrow was doing nothing. It was greyed out.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
If you have a V1.2 then the V1.2 tutorial walks you through using it.

OPS, forgot to add, clicking the up arrow was doing nothing. It was greyed out.
Then you weren't connected to the unit, which I mentioned was required and is shown in the video. From start to finish.

I mentioned calling support if you still didn't get it. I'm guessing you haven't yet?

Lastly there are unlocking directions also in the help under the section for your unit. Make sure to unlock the unit properly if you plan to move on from it.

OP
OP

number9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic SI
Country flag
Yeah, I think I need to call support Monday or sell this thing. Perhaps my car is broken?

Yesterday I flashed to factory and unlocked the unit.

Today I very methodically followed the directions. I plugged in the unit to the car, but not the laptop. Started the laptop, started ktuner, put car in accessory mode, plug in USB. Ktuner tells me it wants to lock the unit to my ECU. I put a check in the agree checkbox and click "Yes".
It sat there for about 30 seconds (I could not do anything) and then a window popped up that was the "I want to lock the ktuner to your ECU"
window.

UPDATE:

I decided to try to give it a go and start all over. I plugged in ktuner, went to accessory mode, plugged in laptop running ktuner. It asked me to lock to the ECU, I hit agree and yes. I then went to file -> new tune, and under the basemaps there was maps. IT then told me that all maps are tied to a different unit and that it could not proceed. When I tried to load the tune I purchased, the same thing happened. I went to unlock the unit, and it did not reflash, as it usually does, it just said that I should unplug and replug as it could not verify that I was now unlocked. When I did that it came up asking me if I wanted to lock the unit to my ECU. I am assuming it is unlocked. I am also assuming something is broken somewhere. My car, the ktuner, something.
Sponsored

Last edited: