Ktuner dead?

number9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic SI
Country flag
Purchased a used Ktuner from a forum member. I think it is a dud.

When I plug it into the computer, it says there is a Ktuner and it would like to register it with my account, OK.

When I plug the unit into the car, in accessory mode, and then plug it into the computer, two things happen:
  • The Ktuner software tells me the Firmware is out of date, and it needs to update
    • I click OK
    • it asks me if I am plugged into a high power USB (no, I do NOT have a high power USB port), BUT, I get the feeling the unit is not seeing the cars port, so I skeptically say no.
  • The Ktuner tells me it wants to lock to the ECU, but then tells me that the unit is not plugged into the ECU and can not lock to the ECU.
These two above conditions just go round and round. I do not want to say "yes" to updating the firmware, because it keeps popping up telling me to lock it to an ECU AND that it is not connected to the ECU. If it is not connected to the ECU, then I do not want to update the firmware, as I am not plugged into a high power port/ECU.

Catch 22? Not sure where to go from here.
Sponsored

U.S.C

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Delete Ktuner software. Then Try to go to Ktuner website and downloading the newest firmware and install it and if it says you need a high power usb and you aren’t that could be the issue.

also plug in the Ktuner before you put it into accessory mode and start the car with it in and see if it comes on or not.

OP
OP

number9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic SI
Country flag
Probably should have said this... I did both of those suggestions already. When I installed Ktuner, I had downloaded it like a week before I got it, and there was an update, so I deleted it and just installed the latest.

I am plugging in the Ktuner and putting the 2017 Si in acessory mode before starting.

Delete Ktuner software. Then Try to go to Ktuner website and downloading the newest firmware and install it and if it says you need a high power usb and you aren’t that could be the issue.

also plug in the Ktuner before you put it into accessory mode and start the car with it in and see if it comes on or not.

U.S.C

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Probably should have said this... I did both of those suggestions already. When I installed Ktuner, I had downloaded it like a week before I got it, and there was an update, so I deleted it and just installed the latest.

I am plugging in the Ktuner and putting the 2017 Si in acessory mode before starting.
Wait have you plugged it into your car and connected it to your ecu? Or are you still trying to do that?

OP
OP

number9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic SI
Country flag
Yes, plug the Ktuner into the ECU, put car in accessory mode, plug ktuner into laptop via USB. It asks me to register (once), OK, then it asks me to lock to the ECU. I click "yes", it says there is no ECU found to lock to. Then it starts with the "this firmware is old, I want to update the firmware, please plug me into an ECU or high power USB port". At this point, I am thinking "huh, if the ktuner does not think it is plugged into an ECU, I better not take my chances with the firmware update".

I am thinking at this point, I wasted $320, and I should just sell it "as broken".

Wait have you plugged it into your car and connected it to your ecu? Or are you still trying to do that?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Do me a favor. Can you post a screenshot of the actual error message you're getting when you attempt to lock it to your ECU?

OP
OP

number9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic SI
Country flag
If I plug it in again. It makes me nervous now, and I packed it back up after all of this failing. I spent a while deleting ktuner, installing the new one and repeatedly going through the catch 22 scenario of please update, but we can't.

I was really curious to see if anyone else has seen this. Having purchased it used, I have a feeling it was just bad.

Do me a favor. Can you post a screenshot of the actual error message you're getting when you attempt to lock it to your ECU?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I needed to see the exact error code/wording.

Also, contact [email protected] for assistance. Don't give up on KTuner. It could wind up being a easy fix.

OP
OP

number9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic SI
Country flag
I tried again, the really annoying thing is that the "your firmware is out of date" dialog comes up, if you click no, you can not count to five before it pops up again, and you can not perform any actions while the dialog is up. Going to any other options is very challenging, as it just keeps checking to see if the firmware is up to date. I work with software developers, and this is really bad programming. If I say NO, it should at least let me use the program for oh, 10 minutes before it yells at me again and does not let me do anything else until I click "ok", at which point I have about 5 seconds to try to perform some action before it pops up again. Ugh.

I could not get the actual ECU error up again, due to this crazy time limitation of "upgrade your firmware". I can not upgrade the firmware, as I am not convinced it is seeing the ECU.

If you look at the first picture, the interesting part is that it is indeed connected to the ECU and it is in accessory mode (the display says accessory mode).

Almost forgot to mention, I purchased this used, so I figured an email to info@ktuner would not do much good. I am not the original owner.

Honda Civic 10th gen Ktuner dead? ktuner1

Honda Civic 10th gen Ktuner dead? ktuner2

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I would click yes to updating the firmware, it is updating the firmware on the Ktuner not the car, which is logically sound because the pc and ktuner are connected and seeing eachother. Maybe that will fix your other issue.

ALSO: Considering ktuner firmware updates add support for different ECU and functions throughout its lifetime it would be an even better reason to click "Yes"

OP
OP

number9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic SI
Country flag
That would make sense, but I know I am not on a high power USB port (the laptop has none), and I am not convinced I am plugged
into the ECU correctly. When I have the Civic in accessory mode and plug in the Ktuner I see no lights on the Ktuner until I plug it
into the PC. Is that normal?

I would click yes to updating the firmware, it is updating the firmware on the Ktuner not the car, which is logically sound because the pc and ktuner are connected and seeing eachother. Maybe that will fix your other issue.

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
That would make sense, but I know I am not on a high power USB port (the laptop has none), and I am not convinced I am plugged
into the ECU correctly. When I have the Civic in accessory mode and plug in the Ktuner I see no lights on the Ktuner until I plug it
into the PC. Is that normal?
Thats normal for me as far as lighting up goes. Also, as long as you dont disconnect the ktuner during its firmware update it should be fine regardless of what usb is used, ive used plenty of complete crap usb cables and my laptop doesnt have a high power usb port either. Even if the ktuner can't recognize the cars ECU, having the car on in acc. mode still also provides power to the odbII port regardless.

DAVEEVAD

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
That would make sense, but I know I am not on a high power USB port (the laptop has none)...
My laptop doesn't have a high power USB either. I chose yes and it updated without issue. I believe the tuner (v1.2) was plugged into the car & the car was "On" (two ignition presses without the break pedal pressed)

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have updated the firmware off USB ports on the front of my PC which are not high powered so far as I know and no issues. Just update the firmware. Also, you have to power the car to start without actually starting it to get it to recognize the ECU. I can click the button once and turn on my accessories without actually powering the vehicle. If that is what you are doing then it's no wonder it's not seeing the ECU. Also your OBD plug may be defective or you aren't plugging it in correctly if it's not lighting up off of it. Mine turns on as soon as I plug it in and the car is off.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
The message about high powered USB port is a WARNING. It's not checking to see if you have one or if the unit is plugged into the vehicle. If it is, and has adequate power, you should update the firmware.

The message stating the unit isn't yet locked to an ECU means the unit should indeed be unlocked and ready for usage once you do.
Sponsored