KTuner and added acceleration on turns-engine sturt bar help?

garnuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
I've been Ktuned for 3-4 weeks. My primary objective was to reduce the CVT & Turbo lag. It has reduced that significantly. Very happy about that:)

The extra power is definitely a huge bonus.

I notice that making turns, especially left turns from a complete stop and some times other turns, when I give it gas, its almost too much. I've never had a front wheel drive car with this much power. If I don't back off the throttle, it feels like I could lose control.

Besides adjusting my foot on the throttle.

Should an engine strut bar give me more control?

Of course I would research and get one that matches my engine.

Such as this:

Honda Civic 10th gen KTuner and added acceleration on turns-engine sturt bar help? {filename}

Thanks, any input is appreciated!
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are your wheels spinning? A strut bar isn't going to help that. What you need is an LSD. That won't be cheap though, it may be better to adjust your driving habits and be easier on the throttle when the wheels aren't straight.

Vallejo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport, 2009 Accord CU2 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When performing these silly manoeuvres do you also get a lot of wheel hop?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I've been Ktuned for 3-4 weeks. My primary objective was to reduce the CVT & Turbo lag. It has reduced that significantly. Very happy about that:)
That's why I'm switching from Hondata to Ktuner. My Hondata tune has the exact amount of lag as the stock tune. For some unknown reason, Hondata decided not to tweak their tune to improve that annoying lag down low.

OP
OP
garnuts

garnuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
"Are your wheels spinning? A strut bar isn't going to help that. What you need is an LSD. That won't be cheap though, it may be better to adjust your driving habits and be easier on the throttle when the wheels aren't straight."

Yes, the front wheels seem to be spinning some.

I'm not interested in investing in an LSD.

Adjusting my driving/turning habits throttle pressure is the best idea, plus safer!

OP
OP
garnuts

garnuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
When performing these silly manoeuvres do you also get a lot of wheel hop?

Well, I never considered them as silly. I'm just driving like I normally do.

Even after KTuner, the is a still a slight lag, although much less than before. Especially turning left from a complete stop, there is an approximate 1 second lag from when I step on the gas and the engine responds. So intuitively, I give it a little more gas, the engine then kicks in much more than I wanted half way through the turn and accelerates too much.

This is when I feel the 'wheel hop'/tire spin and slight loss of control.

This isn't how I alway make turns from a stop, mainly to safely turn before on-coming traffic.

Thanks for the input.

Vallejo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport, 2009 Accord CU2 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Stiffer rear motor mount can help with some of the hop, you could also fit some wider stickier rubber up front to make the wheels harder to spin.

For fun, spend a day driving with the VSA completely turned off (I can’t remember the exact sequence to turn it off but I’m sure you can find it on the forums). If you get the wrong corner in the wrong conditions (in my case any of the “polished” roads in neighbouring La Linea de La Concepción in Spain, or any of our local roundabouts during the first rains after a dry period when there’s diesel everywhere) the Civic drives like a hippo on ice. The understeer is so bad the satnav changes your destination to save you any embarrassment if you have passengers. It might help your foot learn how far you can really push it

OP
OP
garnuts

garnuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
Stiffer rear motor mount can help with some of the hop, you could also fit some wider stickier rubber up front to make the wheels harder to spin.

For fun, spend a day driving with the VSA completely turned off (I can’t remember the exact sequence to turn it off but I’m sure you can find it on the forums). If you get the wrong corner in the wrong conditions (in my case any of the “polished” roads in neighbouring La Linea de La Concepción in Spain, or any of our local roundabouts during the first rains after a dry period when there’s diesel everywhere) the Civic drives like a hippo on ice. The understeer is so bad the satnav changes your destination to save you any embarrassment if you have passengers. It might help your foot learn how far you can really push it
That seems counterintuitive from the manual. But I'll still give it a try:

VSA® On and Off (P 464)
● The vehicle stability assist (VSA®) system
helps stabilize the vehicle during
cornering, and helps maintain traction
while accelerating on loose or slippery
road surfaces.
● VSA® comes on automatically every time
you start the engine.
● To partially disable or fully restore VSA®
function, press and hold the button until

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Well, I never considered them as silly. I'm just driving like I normally do.

Even after KTuner, the is a still a slight lag, although much less than before. Especially turning left from a complete stop, there is an approximate 1 second lag from when I step on the gas and the engine responds. So intuitively, I give it a little more gas, the engine then kicks in much more than I wanted half way through the turn and accelerates too much.

This is when I feel the 'wheel hop'/tire spin and slight loss of control.

This isn't how I alway make turns from a stop, mainly to safely turn before on-coming traffic.

Thanks for the input.
When making a left turn it seems to work better that when you see your opening in traffic, let your foot off the brake and roll for a foot or two before stepping on the gas. This works better and virtually eliminates any lag. You probably don't need to completely floor it, especially on the starter maps with quick adjustments enabled.

OP
OP
garnuts

garnuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
When making a left turn it seems to work better that when you see your opening in traffic, let your foot off the brake and roll for a foot or two before stepping on the gas. This works better and virtually eliminates any lag. You probably don't need to completely floor it, especially on the starter maps with quick adjustments enabled.
Thanks for the suggestion. Before I got the KTuner I used this technique a lot. After the KTuner, I didn't need to use it nearly as often.

Maybe on 10% of my left turns after the KTuner, I have to give it a 'little' more acceleration. I'm definitely not 'flooring' it, maybe 1/3 to 1/2. But the added power of the KTuner catches me off guard.

So, the original question would a strut bar help. Apparently not. I'll just be extra conscious of throttle control when turning.

Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored