Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello everyone!

I tuned my 1.5 Sport CVT Hatchback about 2.5 weeks ago and have had no issues until about last Thursday. Running on KTuner Base Stage 1 tune. Mods are only a drop in PRL air filter & PRL Air Intake Pipe. I drive the car with care normally. I noticed that my car was no longer producing (or it felt like) any boost. I took it in to a dealership and their mechanic went on a drive with me. He then drove the car and told me that it feels like how it should drive out of factory. Hahaha I can't believe he told me how my car should drive. Especially when I kept telling him that boost hits around 2500/3000 rpm and you feel the pull of the boost when it was working fine. So they didn't look at it and sent me on my way.

Anyways, the car won't go up past 2500rpm (3000 if I'm in low "gears") especially any speed above 30mph. I reflashed my car back to factory tune until I can find the root cause of what's going on. I've ever only put 93 octane in the 4 years I've had the car.

Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You need to post a datalog while tuned. You're saying not only is there no boost but the engine can't rev above 3,000 rpm??

On the other hand you said the car "felt like" it wasn't in boost. Much better to actually view the real numbers.

OP
OP
itzindyd

itzindyd

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You need to post a datalog while tuned. You're saying not only is there no boost but the engine can't rev above 3,000 rpm??
The Honda mechanic said that there's boost pumping out. I hear the boost driving around but it's not pulling like it was before I noticed the significant slowdown. Essentially it's there, but not getting pumped into the engine for power.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This sounds familiar.

The PRL stage 1 hose can be a bit short. Mine wasn’t a very good fit and required a good bit of pushing to get it to mate up to the TIP on one end and the air box in the other without wanting to pop off as I tightened the hose clamps. Check and make sure it didn’t actually pop off, or have some giant leakage path to allow air to enter the engine, totally bypassing the MAF sensor and driving you crazy lean.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Charles, I had the opposite problem with the PRL hose. Mine was almost too long. lol

OP, just a thought. Has your weather been especially hot and humid recently? That can bog things down and make things feel sluggish.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Charles, I had the opposite problem with the PRL hose. Mine was almost too long. lol

OP, has your weather been especially hot and humid recently? That can bog things down and make things feel sluggish.
Better too long than too short. I think Confucius said that. ?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Quite a few people have said that.

OP
OP
itzindyd

itzindyd

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So my PRL intake hose was pretty long when I put it on and was a hassle to put on lolz but yes it has been around 90 degrees here in Indy.

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
So my PRL intake hose was pretty long when I put it on and was a hassle to put on lolz but yes it has been around 90 degrees here in Indy.
90 degrees are not the worst but will feel slower than 70-80Âş F. If you feel there is lack of boost the first thing you should do is a datalog.

OP
OP
itzindyd

itzindyd

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've attached the datalogs from a quick 10min drive during a break at work. I've attached both the .kdlg & .csv for convenience. Again, the car is reverted back to Factory Tune and still feels sluggish. Thanks for the help everyone!

Attachments

Deleted member 51112

Have you checked your intercooler piping for leaks? Also, its possible, but highly unlikely though that the intercooler could have a crack in it from heat. Here's a boost leak test video to watch for any ideas. I had that issue a few years ago on a Ford Focus ST, turned out it was a crack in the hot side pipe that developed after I put in a larger intercooler, ended up having to pull the front nose off the car to replace piping which gave me the opportunity to also upgrade to better worm gear hose clamps which I didn't think was necessary when I swapped out the crappy OEM intercooler but hindsight proved me wrong on that. Food for thought... PS, your issue is not related to the intake or your PRL smooth tube, if it was your car would idle rough, stumble and show signs of a vacuum leak as well as make a noticeable sucking noise when you lift the hood.

Deleted member 51112

Unlike my previous Ford experience, I believe Honda intercoolers also have a rubber o-ring, I'd check those too.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've attached the datalogs from a quick 10min drive during a break at work. I've attached both the .kdlg & .csv for convenience. Again, the car is reverted back to Factory Tune and still feels sluggish. Thanks for the help everyone!
I'm not at my computer to check (I will look later) but you did the datalog stock??

Hopefully you at least did a couple medium to high rpm pulls.

In other words, just 10 minutes of cruising won't tell much.
Sponsored

Last edited: