texmexx

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport MT
Country flag
Hello everybody, i joined this site a while back before i bought my exhaust and this is my first real post. So i installed an ARK Performance DT-S catback system on my 19 civic hatch sport MT. i love the way it sounds (at least from inside the car, don't know about the outside) and i have been playing with the idea on buying a ktuner v2 and messing around with a stage 1 or 2 tune.

But...... im scared as hell because at only 30k miles I'm paranoid that if i mess something up or they see that i flashed the ECU ill be screwed if something happens. Especially with the FK7 and Type R having those engine issues pop up around 70-80k. So.... Tune or nah? i absolutely hate the slight turbo lag, throttle response and dear god the revv hang is horrendous and makes me hate driving it sometimes. Also what special tweaks would i need to make for my exhaust if using just the standard tune Ktuner provides?
Sponsored

KTunedtoStock

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Hello everybody, i joined this site a while back before i bought my exhaust and this is my first real post. So i installed an ARK Performance DT-S catback system on my 19 civic hatch sport MT. i love the way it sounds (at least from inside the car, don't know about the outside) and i have been playing with the idea on buying a ktuner v2 and messing around with a stage 1 or 2 tune.

But...... im scared as hell because at only 30k miles I'm paranoid that if i mess something up or they see that i flashed the ECU ill be screwed if something happens. Especially with the FK7 and Type R having those engine issues pop up around 70-80k. So.... Tune or nah? i absolutely hate the slight turbo lag, throttle response and dear god the revv hang is horrendous and makes me hate driving it sometimes. Also what special tweaks would i need to make for my exhaust if using just the standard tune Ktuner provides?
If you're paranoid, I'd wait until your warranty expires assuming you still have it. You won't need to make any tweaks to a tune regarding an exhaust. Its basically plug and play. This would be different if you had a cat delete. All in all, if you don't abuse it, having a tune shouldn't kill your car. But it will put more stress on it, reducing longevity to an extent.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
OP, I understand your fear about tuning. It took me about 10 months of going back and forth before I decided to take the plunge. I'm sorry I waited. I've now been tuned for 3 years. There's no mod that transforms your car like this.

Here's my community tuning reliability thread if you want to take a look:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ence-reliability-thread-for-all-models.42361/

Bottom line, tune it conservatively (don't tune for a crazy amount of power), maintain it well, don't abuse it and you'll be fine.

OP
OP
texmexx

texmexx

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OP, I understand your fear about tuning. It took me about 10 months of going back and forth before I decided to take the plunge. I'm sorry I waited. I've now been tuned for 3 years. There's no mod that transforms your car like this.

Here's my community tuning reliability thread if you want to take a look:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ence-reliability-thread-for-all-models.42361/

Bottom line, tune it conservatively (don't tune for a crazy amount of power), maintain it well, don't abuse it and you'll be fine.
thanks for the help and I’ll check that thread out. . The review hang and throttle response really bug me. But I’m just afraid that if I tune and something happens they will void the warranty if they can tell it’s been flashed. I drive pretty hard in ATL traffic but I still takecare of it and get maintenance when it’s due. I was wanting to try the 21psi tune.

Icebear

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport Touring 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 1991 Chevrolet c1500
Country flag
I was wanting to try the 21psi tune.
Yes... yes , you do ?

gtmans reliability thread is what convinced me to get the Ktuner . If you do , you'll wonder how you ever did without it .

ATLAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
thanks for the help and I’ll check that thread out. . The review hang and throttle response really bug me. But I’m just afraid that if I tune and something happens they will void the warranty if they can tell it’s been flashed. I drive pretty hard in ATL traffic but I still takecare of it and get maintenance when it’s due. I was wanting to try the 21psi tune.
I see that you are also in ATL. Just curious where you go for your car's maintenance? I bought mine almost a year but the pandemic has meant I haven't driven all that much. I bought mine from a non-honda dealer so I'm just looking for a trusted dealership in ATL.

As for the tuning, I am in the same boat as you. I went back and forth about buying a KTuner and bought one like ten minutes before the Black Friday deal ended, because I couldn't make up my mind. It is also part of the reason why I haven't flashed my ECU yet either despite it only taking 5 minutes to do so, that and having a toddler running around the house. I just want to get all my maintenance checks (I changed my oil) in order before flashing. Still deciding if I need to change my CVT transmission fluid before I do it, hence why I'm asking about a dealership recommendation.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As for the tuning, I am in the same boat as you. I went back and forth about buying a KTuner and bought one like ten minutes before the Black Friday deal ended, because I couldn't make up my mind. It is also part of the reason why I haven't flashed my ECU yet either despite it only taking 5 minutes to do so, that and having a toddler running around the house. I just want to get all my maintenance checks (I changed my oil) in order before flashing. Still deciding if I need to change my CVT transmission fluid before I do it, hence why I'm asking about a dealership recommendation.
I thought I was bad. It took me a week or two AFTER getting my first tuning device (a Hondata Flashpro) to actually upload a tune. Then, I finally got "brave" and did it and haven't looked back.

You've waited 3 months and counting! Time to upload. You wont regret it. As far as transmission fluid, how many miles do you have? I'd recommend changing it every 20,000 or so tuned miles.

ATLAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I thought I was bad. It took me a week or two AFTER getting my first tuning device (a Hondata Flashpro) to actually upload a tune. Then, I finally got "brave" and did it and haven't looked back.

You've waited 3 months and counting! Time to upload. You wont regret it. As far as transmission fluid, how many miles do you have? I'd recommend changing it every 20,000 or so tuned miles.
Yea I'm bad and a little wuss but I'm also super swamped at work. My car is at 36K and from prior service records it hasn't been changed.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wouldn't be a bad idea to get it changed.

OP
OP
texmexx

texmexx

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I see that you are also in ATL. Just curious where you go for your car's maintenance? I bought mine almost a year but the pandemic has meant I haven't driven all that much. I bought mine from a non-honda dealer so I'm just looking for a trusted dealership in ATL.

I bought mine at curry Honda. It’s a lil bit farther north but I’ve never had issues and they are pretty quick with service. They did the fuel pump recall in less than two hours. I went to Ed voyles on Cobb parkway and was irritated I had to keep calling to see if my car was done and then found out I could’ve picked it up 3 hours earlier. And I sure ain’t hanging around the Thornton rd waiting on my car lol.

ATLAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I bought mine at curry Honda. It’s a lil bit farther north but I’ve never had issues and they are pretty quick with service. They did the fuel pump recall in less than two hours. I went to Ed voyles on Cobb parkway and was irritated I had to keep calling to see if my car was done and then found out I could’ve picked it up 3 hours earlier. And I sure ain’t hanging around the Thornton rd waiting on my car lol.
I live OTP on the Northside so I am not that far from about 4 different dealers just trying to figure out which one is the best. When I was looking at buying my wife's var (we went with a CRV), I wasn't too impressed with Ed Voyles. I actually first test drove a Civic HB about 2 years ago from Curry when we deciding what car to buy my wife. I knew then that my next car was going to be a Civic HB just was waiting til our other car bit the dust.
Sponsored