bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
Just a follow up this car still over heated.
Good info.. that means a $150 all aluminum radiator from China would work better / equivalent for much cheaper..??
Sponsored

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag
A lot more money and work for it to still overheat. C&R rad is a bargain in comparison :)
I saved thousands by just doing cool down laps in between flyers. Albeit, not the best for establishing rhythm, still a bargain. Luckily the cool weather is here! ?

Honda Civic 10th gen KOYORAD radiator VS. Spoon VS. Full Race s6qASLz

Snmtazz70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
500HP 2019 Honda Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Seems like they all are having same issues. On other threads also.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
so what is the concensus after 6 pages- racing in desert 100 deg ambient heat, cr rad. Tracking in normal ~75f, temps temps any OTS rad is fine?

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
I get it that in very high temps for track use the C&R track rad is likely the best. I also understand it needs higher water pump pressure due to the tube design and some other factors. It also likely needs a well vented hood to be most effective.

I also understand that the 2020 rad may be an improvement but not spectacular. It may even be the larger grill opening that is making the most of the small improvement, not the rad.

For me, I will not be tracking in 100F temps and the most important issue is making sure the engine doesn't start pulling power during a 3-5 lap time-attack type competition. My car is still street driven and will see some very cold temps.

For lapping, I am ok with backing off every few laps but not keen on the computer pulling power due to higher coolant temps.

Bottom line, is the C&R street rad enough better than the OEM2020 rad to make it worthwhile on an unmodified engine?

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
I get it that in very high temps for track use the C&R track rad is likely the best. I also understand it needs higher water pump pressure due to the tube design and some other factors. It also likely needs a well vented hood to be most effective.

I also understand that the 2020 rad may be an improvement but not spectacular. It may even be the larger grill opening that is making the most of the small improvement, not the rad.

For me, I will not be tracking in 100F temps and the most important issue is making sure the engine doesn't start pulling power during a 3-5 lap time-attack type competition. My car is still street driven and will see some very cold temps.

For lapping, I am ok with backing off every few laps but not keen on the computer pulling power due to higher coolant temps.

Bottom line, is the C&R street rad enough better than the OEM2020 rad to make it worthwhile on an unmodified engine?
I track my car I my temps never went over 220f with 95 f degrees ambient temp no vented hood , I have koyorad and other driver has similar setup with koyorad any of us has overheating issues both car tuned over 380whp , no issues . The overheating issues is for many factors , could be tuning etc , in my opinion spend $1000 in a radiator is waste of money . Also both cars with Mishimoto intercooler . Both cars could make all the 3 session of 25 to 30 minutes non stop .

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
I track my car I my temps never went over 220f with 95 f degrees ambient temp no vented hood , I have koyorad and other driver has similar setup with koyorad any of us has overheating issues both car tuned over 380whp , no issues . The overheating issues is for many factors , could be tuning etc , in my opinion spend $1000 in a radiator is waste of money . Also both cars with Mishimoto intercooler . Both cars could make all the 3 session of 25 to 30 minutes non stop .
Did you notice any drop in power during the 20-30 minute sessions?

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Did you notice any drop in power during the 20-30 minute sessions?
Not at all, i was amazed how the car performed, intake temps around 105f, after intercooler around 97f , I need to go back to the track, now I have more power .

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

This is good to know. Just read through all the pages and will do so again. I had no intentions of getting a radiator but when my engine blew (It was my fault.....), the piston/connecting rod that came out damaged my stock radiator. My mechanic replaced my stock radiator with a Koyo - VH083283.

The Koyo site says it's only for a manual but I have a CVT. Looking at my receipt and seeing Koyo led me to this discussion. This is good to know that it is an effective radiator. I don't track this car. Only occasional drag strip runs, with normal grandpa type driving 95% of the time. :D

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
There’s definitely a drop in power when ECT rises above 200f and IAT above 100F
The power you might loose is around 10 to 18 whp, is no way you can notice that difference, now if you wanted to argue ''yes there is loose of power '' in that case you right.
Sponsored