Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think I'm splitting hairs. Suspension is complex and manufacturers use a lot of resources to make it all work in harmony. Ride frequencies, and wheel rates play a huge role on how a car rides. When you alter one component, the other parts of the system are affected.

http://downloads.optimumg.com/Technical_Papers/Springs&Dampers_Tech_Tip_1.pdf
Ride frequencies largely dictate how a car go overs bumps to perceive ride comfort. Majority of the aftermarket setups do not maintain the same flat ride. My guess is because they don't expect you to figure out what size sway bar to increase the front roll stiffness when you lower the center of gravity but not correct roll center.

Either way, I am curious at the math that Honda did because the stock hatch rides very nice while has decent handling.
Wow! Today, I learnedā€¦ ? Thanks for the tech tip!

ā€¦IMO, I still think youā€™re splitting hairs, but to your credit, sometimes thatā€™s whatā€™s necessary to shave time. Every bit counts.
Sponsored

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
Wow! Today, I learnedā€¦ ? Thanks for the tech tip!

ā€¦IMO, I still think youā€™re splitting hairs, but to your credit, sometimes thatā€™s whatā€™s necessary to shave time. Every bit counts.
I am just curious about it. I still don't think it is really splitting hairs. I learned a lot of that stuff on my M3 suspension..haha. Maybe next time I have my car up, I'll do suspension measurements and do the math.

Boosted_01_R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC3
Country flag
Hey everyone,

I finally have broken my silence, Koni is local to me and is currently testing their FK7 upgrade on my car, but the front struts are delayed in port. Iā€™ve been in direct contact with the engineering team, and after having the prototype rears on my car for a couple months - good things come to those who wait. These are some SERIOUS upgrades with amazing handling. The rear is extremely flat in turns, my only problem now is the dive with the front OE shocks.

Seriously, Koni is taking the time to do things right.
Do you know if there is a SI version in the works / are they looking for test vehicles ?

quakaroaks

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic HB Sp, 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think I'm splitting hairs. Suspension is complex and manufacturers use a lot of resources to make it all work in harmony. Ride frequencies, and wheel rates play a huge role on how a car rides. When you alter one component, the other parts of the system are affected.

http://downloads.optimumg.com/Technical_Papers/Springs&Dampers_Tech_Tip_1.pdf
Ride frequencies largely dictate how a car go overs bumps to perceive ride comfort. Majority of the aftermarket setups do not maintain the same flat ride. My guess is because they don't expect you to figure out what size sway bar to increase the front roll stiffness when you lower the center of gravity but not correct roll center.

Either way, I am curious at the math that Honda did because the stock hatch rides very nice while has decent handling.
I've been nerding out on the physics of suspension geometry and the roll center. Not an expert on the subject but found it worthwhile to get a grasp before I decide on suspension tuning.

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
I've been nerding out on the physics of suspension geometry and the roll center. Not an expert on the subject but found it worthwhile to get a grasp before I decide on suspension tuning.

You can imagine how deep this rabbit hole gets to. I have a massive spreadsheet with sprung corner weights, unsprung weight, motion ratios, sway bar measurements, differnt spring combinations, wheel rates, etc for my M3..lol I'm actively working on the spring rates I need to purchase to get my front roll stiffness to where I want.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hopefully this comes out for USA too. Seems it will be out in Europe faster than here.
Actually Koni Europe told me last year they will not make anything for the 10thgen civic in Europe due too a low demand.Will most likely only Come out in the usa.
But maybe they changed this now...?

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
Actually Koni Europe told me last year they will not make anything for the 10thgen civic in Europe due too a low demand.Will most likely only Come out in the usa.
But maybe they changed this now...?
Who knows..my rear driver shock is starting to seep a little, and I just want to replace all 4 with something better, Koni or Bilstien B6, etc.

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Has anyone heard any updates on Koni putting out some shocks for our cars?

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Update from Koni.US:

ā€œGuillermo,

Thank you for your interest in KONI shocks. Struts and shocks for the 10thGeneration Honda Civic base model Coupe, Sedan, and Hatchback are currently in the works. The rear shocks are currently available, however the front strut production isnā€™t scheduled to begin until later this month. Unfortunately, there are no plans at the moment for dampers specifically for the Si models, as these were all equipped with factory OE electronic Active suspension options.

Mason Oā€™Hara

Technical Sales Representative

KONI - an ITT companyā€

Sadly, there will be no shock upgrade for our Siā€™s.. šŸ˜¢

jwbrockman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatch Sport Manual, 2007 Honda S2000 (STR)
Country flag
Sadly, there will be no shock upgrade for our Siā€™s.. šŸ˜¢
Off the shelf Konis would be a significant downgrade from the OE Si shocks.

(this is not a negative statement about Koni, I've had their shocks on 4 of my cars)

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Off the shelf Konis would be a significant downgrade from the OE Si shocks.

(this is not a negative statement about Koni, I've had their shocks on 4 of my cars)
Idk about a real downgrade, if paired to a decent set of lowering springs imo.