Knocking Felt from Front End?

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX CVT
Country flag
What could cause a metal on metal "consistent, rotating, knocking" feeling that can be felt through the floor by the pedals? It's not like something is physically hitting the underside of the car, but I can feel it through the floor. It gets worse immediately after I make a turn while also hitting any kind of imperfection or bump in the road, but it also seems to become less noticeable as my speed increases.

I noticed it the most the other day when rolling slowly (20 to 25MPH) in stop and go traffic. I've been chasing what I believe is an axle issue for as long as I've owned the car (bought new in 2017 and am currently at 41,000 miles). Two dealers and an independent shop have not found anything wrong with the car.
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I'm just guessing here. But motor mounts come to mind as well as suspension parts.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
What could cause a metal on metal "consistent, rotating, knocking" feeling that can be felt through the floor by the pedals? It's not like something is physically hitting the underside of the car, but I can feel it through the floor. It gets worse immediately after I make a turn while also hitting any kind of imperfection or bump in the road, but it also seems to become less noticeable as my speed increases.

I noticed it the most the other day when rolling slowly (20 to 25MPH) in stop and go traffic. I've been chasing what I believe is an axle issue for as long as I've owned the car (bought new in 2017 and am currently at 41,000 miles). Two dealers and an independent shop have not found anything wrong with the car.
I have struggled in the past with similar issues. I would bring it to the dealer and they just throw up their hands. I don't know how people that call themselves mechanics can hear a noise and not figure out what the issue is. I decided to just start replacing parts. After guessing wrong a few times, it was indeed the axle. But I wound up with a whole new front suspension. LOL

OP
OP

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have struggled in the past with similar issues. I would bring it to the dealer and they just throw up their hands. I don't know how people that call themselves mechanics can hear a noise and not figure out what the issue is. I decided to just start replacing parts. After guessing wrong a few times, it was indeed the axle. But I wound up with a whole new front suspension. LOL
I've also noticed sometimes when I do a more aggressive pull (4,000 to 4,500 RPM) it feels like something in the front end is occasionally "skipping or slipping." It doesn't feel like the CVT itself, but something else. My issues are worse in colder weather and seem to improve when temps rise above 60 degrees.

OP
OP

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Would a failing axle also cause a constant roaring/humming sound that gets louder as the car's speed increases? It sounds like tire noise, but it is exactly the same with my summer and snow tires, which are mounted on different wheels.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Have you changed your CVT fluid at all yet? At 41k you're a little past due.

OP
OP

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Have you changed your CVT fluid at all yet? At 41k you're a little past due.
Yes, the CVT fluid was changed about 5 months ago around 40,000 miles. I didn't notice any difference after.

Lately, the clunking feeling seems to be worse when I'm making a turn and then "smooths out" a little as I straighten the wheels.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Need to check the suspension components, bearings, and drive shaft. You shouldn't have anything worn out at sub 50k, but that doesn't mean you can't.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Lately, the clunking feeling seems to be worse when I'm making a turn and then "smooths out" a little as I straighten the wheels.
I still say it's the axles. I am guessing the mechanics just look at the axle and see that the boot is not ripped. But just because the boot is intact doesn't mean the axle isn't making noise. They say it makes more noise on deceleration, and also at slower speeds. Check the video below:

(21) How To Diagnose A Bad CV Axle - YouTube

OP
OP

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I still say it's the axles. I am guessing the mechanics just look at the axle and see that the boot is not ripped. But just because the boot is intact doesn't mean the axle isn't making noise. They say it makes more noise on deceleration, and also at slower speeds. Check the video below:

(21) How To Diagnose A Bad CV Axle - YouTube
It does seem more noticeable when coming to a stop. One dealership tech said that my axles have "normal axle click clack" when he inspected them.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
It does seem more noticeable when coming to a stop. One dealership tech said that my axles have "normal axle click clack" when he inspected them.
Reminds me of the Car Talk radio show hosts "Click and Click, The Tappet Brothers".
Best of Car Talk | Wisconsin Public Radio (wpr.org)

If the noise is getting worse, it's not normal. And no one wants to guess at the issue and be wrong. You may have to wait until it get's much worse, or just take a gamble and replace them if it is that annoying. Beware that I tried replacing mine with the cheap eBay kind and the noise started again within 20K miles. Then I replaced them with low mileage ones from a salvage yard and had no problem.
Sponsored