Joe1986

Banned
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
As mentioned in multiple threads just like this one, knock count is not what to watch on this platform. Knock control is.
Your telling me a 31 knock count in 10 minutes of driving is not to worried about?
Sponsored

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2001 Integra Type R, 2019 RDX A-Spec
Country flag
Your telling me a 31 knock count in 10 minutes of driving is not to worried about?

Seeing as "knock count" is literally nothing to do with the knock sensor, essentially "yes."

It's the ECU's misfire monitor, used to determine if an actual misfire event is occurring and warranting a DTC code response (in which 31 counts in a 10 minute span is very far from triggering an error).

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
There are thousands of ignition events per minute, dependent on the RPM you're at. Multiply by ten, for your duration of 10 minutes.

Put another way, that's 3.1 per minute.

That's not a lot.

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Had same concern. The 1.5ts are odd in that way. Your gonna see Knock and Misfires that are normal. I have had 50 "knock" events and several misfires in a 20 minute drive and no MIL light no codes. Its normal for these engines. Now if you see 100s of misfires in say a few minutes of a MIL light comes on then I would have it checked out otherwise stop worrying and enjoy the boost. :)

Joe1986

Banned
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Seeing as "knock count" is literally nothing to do with the knock sensor, essentially "yes."

It's the ECU's misfire monitor, used to determine if an actual misfire event is occurring and warranting a DTC code response (in which 31 counts in a 10 minute span is very far from triggering an error).
Thank goodness, I'm so relief now,I thought I did something wrong with the spark plugs

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
This has been posted before but I may as well post it here too, for reference. Derek had what I think is the best explanation ever regarding knock count versus knock control on the 1.5T's:

"Knock Count" = This parameter is a reflection of the ECU's misfire monitor. It is NOT an accurate reflection of anything other than misfire events. When will you see these normally? Startup, rapid throttle closures, rapid throttle inputs, rapid release of the clutch pedal, and sometimes at idle (especially if you have a lighter flywheel/clutch combo, and/or plugs that have been gapped down to prevent spark blowout at high load). A completely stock car, operating perfectly will still accumulate these counts. In my experience with these engines, you will see more activity on cylinder four compared to others, as the crank position sensor is physically located closest to there on the block. This usually isn't a concern area unless you see a steep count in a very, very short time (like 50+ in a few seconds), which will likely trip a P0300-variant DTC code.

"Knock Control" = This parameter is the ECU's determination of fuel quality. Movement here indicates the knock sensor hears what it thinks is knock activity, and reports to the ECU to apply a steeper ignition retard to avoid continued knock activity. This value is dynamic, and WILL move from time to time. On Civic Si models, there doesn't seem to be a forced rise at play at WOT like the non-Si 1.5T ECU's (which naturally rise above 5,200-5,400rpm regardless of sensor input). Movement that goes up and up and up and never comes down is more concerning than movement alone. Knock control can typically be manipulated down by driving the car in a higher gear at lower engine speeds and targeting atmospheric pressure on the MAP sensor reading.

Last edited:

Joe1986

Banned
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
This has been posted before but I may as well post it here too, for reference. Derek had what I think is the best explanation ever regarding knock versus knock control on the 1.5T's:
I got my answer from drob in another thread just now, thank's, should delete this thread?
Sponsored