@BigTurbo2.0
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Accord 2.0
Country flag
I ran initially .5 bottle for the whole tank, and it seemed to work. Knock stayed around 57 rather than 60+ consistently after good pulls. It got as high as 63 but came down quick back to .49.
Usually it will get highest around .70, then I chill til it gets back down to .49.
Where things went south was putting the rest of the bottle in after my test run. When I woke up the next day and started to drive to work, I always use ECO till the engine warms up. When I turned off ECO, my knock control went as high as 1.06 quickly. Very not normal. At this point I am freaking out. I drove to work not getting on it because it would hover around .90. I later found that using ECO mode, that the knock comes back down to .49.
I have tried new gas, different stations and I only use Shell. Reflashing the same tune. Nothing as returned my car to normal after 3 tanks.
Stock car, running 21lbs dual tune.
Now when I get in, after warm up it will start to ping or knock control goes up high, I use ECO to get it all the way normal, or turn off around 60, and let it learn down in full boost mode. From there I can usually get on it like I used to. With knock control shooting up to 60+ and come down after crusing a little bit. Knock counts are anywere from 0 to 2 per drive. Was 0 on my 140 mile drive today.
So IDK what gives. Also, I have never shown data for ethanol percent until after this condition, but it is always 0% is this value supposed to be populated?
Thanks in advance for any advice or help.
Sponsored

Markusc

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic 1.5L turbo
Country flag
I would probably suggest to reflashing the car completely to the stock tune. Then you can monitor the cars response and performance on a tank of premium fuel. If the issue pwrsispe it could be something more than a software issue, on which I'd see your closest Honda dealer

OP
OP
EX-Termin8r

EX-Termin8r

First Name
@BigTurbo2.0
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Accord 2.0
Country flag
I was going to update today. I tried another Shell last night. Drive it to work. That gas felt great, car acted normal as ever. I guess my favorite stop is getting bad gas.

I will report back if any changes

Last edited:
OP
OP
EX-Termin8r

EX-Termin8r

First Name
@BigTurbo2.0
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Accord 2.0
Country flag
Reporting back, man the car is fast lol. I flashed another tune, with 3 boost levels, 19,20,21lbs and ECO OFF Sport +. I dont know if its that or the gas but man, it flies and is very responsive. I just can't believe the CVT is taking that, thats how good it runs it makes you wonder haha. But yeah knock stays low as possible, peaks at 63 when getting on it, but doesn't surpass it, then comes down very quickly to 49, especially in Drive mode as apposed to S mode. Thanks Ktuner, I am really happy.

Last edited:

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
I’ve used that same octane booster (for high knock control) and it fouled my plugs pretty badly. I had to change them out before my car was running properly again.

OP
OP
EX-Termin8r

EX-Termin8r

First Name
@BigTurbo2.0
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Accord 2.0
Country flag
I’ve used that same octane booster (for high knock control) and it fouled my plugs pretty badly. I had to change them out before my car was running properly again.
I didn't even think about those. My car is def back to normal. How many did you run or for long

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
I didn't even think about those. My car is def back to normal. How many did you run or for long
My plugs were perfect until I started running octane booster this summer due to ambient temps being 100* or more. I’ve got 32k miles on these plugs and they were perfect when I checked them at 20k. I also get gas(93 octane from Texaco) from the same station since I bought the car.

What they looked like when I changed them last week:

Honda Civic 10th gen Knock control weird after using Lucus octane boost AF196F53-C346-438D-ADD4-87F761287FB7

Honda Civic 10th gen Knock control weird after using Lucus octane boost CE9CD076-4451-4004-9C4A-71855B50C462

The car was starting to idle rough when I pulled them. Fuel economy was down a little too.

Julioext

First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Ext 2018 sedan CVT
Country flag
Reporting back, man the car is fast lol. I flashed another tune, with 3 boost levels, 19,20,21lbs and ECO OFF Sport +. I dont know if its that or the gas but man, it flies and is very responsive. I just can't believe the CVT is taking that, thats how good it runs it makes you wonder haha. But yeah knock stays low as possible, peaks at 63 when getting on it, but doesn't surpass it, then comes down very quickly to 49, especially in Drive mode as apposed to S mode. Thanks Ktuner, I am really happy.
Could you post a picture of your tune map? I wanna compare it to mine to see if I did it right

jeff2417

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (PWP), 2006 Acura TSX Base (ABP)
Country flag
I ran initially .5 bottle for the whole tank, and it seemed to work. Knock stayed around 57 rather than 60+ consistently after good pulls. It got as high as 63 but came down quick back to .49.
Usually it will get highest around .70, then I chill til it gets back down to .49.
Where things went south was putting the rest of the bottle in after my test run. When I woke up the next day and started to drive to work, I always use ECO till the engine warms up. When I turned off ECO, my knock control went as high as 1.06 quickly. Very not normal. At this point I am freaking out. I drove to work not getting on it because it would hover around .90. I later found that using ECO mode, that the knock comes back down to .49.
I have tried new gas, different stations and I only use Shell. Reflashing the same tune. Nothing as returned my car to normal after 3 tanks.
Stock car, running 21lbs dual tune.
Now when I get in, after warm up it will start to ping or knock control goes up high, I use ECO to get it all the way normal, or turn off around 60, and let it learn down in full boost mode. From there I can usually get on it like I used to. With knock control shooting up to 60+ and come down after crusing a little bit. Knock counts are anywere from 0 to 2 per drive. Was 0 on my 140 mile drive today.
So IDK what gives. Also, I have never shown data for ethanol percent until after this condition, but it is always 0% is this value supposed to be populated?
Thanks in advance for any advice or help.
Also happening to me, too. Thought I was helping the engine, now I know I've hurt it. Will check spark plugs this weekend. Having the same random knocks, sometimes audible. Will follow with a GDI Intake Carbon Clean if fresh gas and fresh spark plugs don't do the trick. Thanks for bringing this to light!
Our cars no NOT like additives.

10thgenSIcoupeBLK

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Civic si coupe
Country flag
Also happening to me, too. Thought I was helping the engine, now I know I've hurt it. Will check spark plugs this weekend. Having the same random knocks, sometimes audible. Will follow with a GDI Intake Carbon Clean if fresh gas and fresh spark plugs don't do the trick. Thanks for bringing this to light!
Our cars no NOT like additives.
I know this thread is a year and a half old but I’m curious, if you let’s say have the tsp tune stage 1, you put in royal purple octane booster with shell 93 v power, how do you know it’s causing an issue ? Also if you baby the car in map 1 could that make it not as bad ? Basically if you don’t beat on the car

jeff2417

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (PWP), 2006 Acura TSX Base (ABP)
Country flag
I know this thread is a year and a half old but I’m curious, if you let’s say have the tsp tune stage 1, you put in royal purple octane booster with shell 93 v power, how do you know it’s causing an issue ? Also if you baby the car in map 1 could that make it not as bad ? Basically if you don’t beat on the car
Hello,
Good question. If you monitor your stats on the car, specifically Knock Control and Knock Retard, you will see easily how the car reacts to what it’s being fed. A normal knock control reading should be .49 to .60, which is an average of what is ACTUALIY happening real time in Knock Retard. You can see that driving in ANY tune will show a variation in Knock Retard depending on if you are driving hard, or under a load. When the turbo spoils up between 0-2 psi you will see knock retard go into action. If you are in tune 1 driving normally, or “babying it”, you should see a knock retard of 1-2(depending on load, a grade, or what have you) and your knock control should be in .49 to .60 if everything else is right.
When I used additives, something chemically about what was happening clearly the car did not like. Knock control was around .80 to .90 and knock retard was in some cases around as high as 11!
My solution was to drive slowly on a long drop to get that tainted gas out of there and fill up with Shell gas, 91 octane. Keep in mind, I not only had crazy readings but there was audible pinging, especially under load. however, after a trip or two the sound abated, even under hard throttle, higher tunes, etc. TSP stage 3 came alive as well and it was a blast!

another note, please monitor your intake temps as well (IAT’s) to make sure you aren’t heat soaking the engine, as that makes the situation even more exasperated.

hope that helps!

Jeff
@urf_drms

10thgenSIcoupeBLK

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Civic si coupe
Country flag
Hello,
Good question. If you monitor your stats on the car, specifically Knock Control and Knock Retard, you will see easily how the car reacts to what it’s being fed. A normal knock control reading should be .49 to .60, which is an average of what is ACTUALIY happening real time in Knock Retard. You can see that driving in ANY tune will show a variation in Knock Retard depending on if you are driving hard, or under a load. When the turbo spoils up between 0-2 psi you will see knock retard go into action. If you are in tune 1 driving normally, or “babying it”, you should see a knock retard of 1-2(depending on load, a grade, or what have you) and your knock control should be in .49 to .60 if everything else is right.
When I used additives, something chemically about what was happening clearly the car did not like. Knock control was around .80 to .90 and knock retard was in some cases around as high as 11!
My solution was to drive slowly on a long drop to get that tainted gas out of there and fill up with Shell gas, 91 octane. Keep in mind, I not only had crazy readings but there was audible pinging, especially under load. however, after a trip or two the sound abated, even under hard throttle, higher tunes, etc. TSP stage 3 came alive as well and it was a blast!

another note, please monitor your intake temps as well (IAT’s) to make sure you aren’t heat soaking the engine, as that makes the situation even more exasperated.

hope that helps!

Jeff
@urf_drms
this is on map one, normal driving I have been pinned at 0.49 even at WOT THIS IS WITH SHELL AND THE ROYAL PURPLE OCTANE BOOSTER STUFF

Honda Civic 10th gen Knock control weird after using Lucus octane boost 4188FD3C-35B7-4210-97EB-7633876DEFBE
Sponsored